Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

EMD RS Grille/Front Parking Sensor Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 03:01 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by htsunami
what did you use to get the S5 Badge to stay seated in the grille?

That was the trickiest: we drilled very small holes in the backside “clips” of the stock S5 badge. When the badge was installed we used very thin “mechanics wire” to secure the badge within the honeycomb grille and the followed that up with some type of glue between the badge and the grille.

I had given thought to not putting the S5 badge on but I didn’t want anyone thinking I was trying to look like I had an RS5.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by arrtewwx

@Nikon1 - looks good! Hope you don’t have a sensor issue crop up this week
Thank you — and I hope not as well!
Old 10-21-2018, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I had given thought to not putting the S5 badge on but I didn’t want anyone thinking I was trying to look like I had an RS5.
Funny, I had the opposite thought. For a split second I thought, maybe I should debadge my regular A5 SB and then no one will really know If it’s a RS5 (well a MY19), S5 or A5! I didn’t do it. 😀
Old 10-22-2018, 04:05 AM
Club AutoUnion

Funny, I had the opposite thought. For a split second I thought, maybe I should debadge my regular A5 SB and then no one will really know If it’s a RS5 (well a MY19), S5 or A5! I didn’t do it. ��
There have been a few postings about “Seen On The Road” where people ridicule some other drivers who are putting “phony” logo’s on their cars.

Years ago I remember seeing a BMW with an AMG badge on it — which caused me to do a double take and then bust out laughing.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

We exchanged several emails/photos this week and even a video of it going off while sitting in traffic in downtown Dallas (was dry out, so wasn’t a water issue on the grille). A new replacement sensor is being mailed to me, which means the grille has to come back off. However, I need to go back to the shop that installed the grille and have them fix the crash bar paint job anyway - so going to have them swap it out. If it happens again, then would agree it’s likely a grille issue and something I’ll have to try to remediate or go back to the stock grille, if it is a major issue for me (sure hope not).
Good luck! I replaced mine with OEM sensors already and that specific side/sensor still gives false alarms when it rains or sometimes after a car wash...
Old 10-22-2018, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bayarea_s5

Good luck! I replaced mine with OEM sensors already and that specific side/sensor still gives false alarms when it rains or sometimes after a car wash...
Thanks. Received the replacement in the mail today, so will swap out. Funny you mention a car wash. I washed it yesterday, and today on the way out, it was going off here and there. This is leading me me to believe it’s an alignment issue on that side with the grille. I’m going to bring it up at the 3rd party Audi shop and see what they think...am reluctant to ask the dealer anything, but they’ve seen the grille already (and thought it looked awesome).
Old 10-22-2018, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

I have noticed some minor false beeping alerts with the grille when it is raining. Especially after the car has been sitting in the rain.
I think it is caused by the little "lips" under the sensor provisions in the aftermarket grille. Those raised areas under (and over) the sensors can cause water, mud, sleet, snow, and/or ice build up that can trigger a false. Once driving, it should come off and the false alert will go away. If not, just give it a quick wipe.
This happens every so often for me. Maybe a dozen times a month. My S5 SB is a daily driver so that is not very often.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
I have noticed some minor false beeping alerts with the grille when it is raining. Especially after the car has been sitting in the rain.
I think it is caused by the little "lips" under the sensor provisions in the aftermarket grille. Those raised areas under (and over) the sensors can cause water, mud, sleet, snow, and/or ice build up that can trigger a false. Once driving, it should come off and the false alert will go away. If not, just give it a quick wipe.
This happens every so often for me. Maybe a dozen times a month. My S5 SB is a daily driver so that is not very often.
ya- I’m kind of starting to think this is going to be a what it costs to play type issue. It’s just a little irritating given the newness and cost of the car. Not to mention this is the first “major” mod I’ve done to a car. When it first occurred, I was worried the Audi presense was going to kick in and slam on the brakes in a false-positive manner, not to mention the thought of great, I did this mod and have screwed up my car.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

I know what you mean man. I was frustrated too at first, but after I got the sensors seated in the hole properly, the issue went away for the most part.
Go and have a look at your sensors and make sure they are aligned/seated properly. Maybe post a picture so we can see it too?
I am assuming you are having the issue on just one side/sensor and not both?
Old 10-22-2018, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yep - just the driver side. Here’s two photos. You’ll also see the bad crash bar paint job that I’m getting corrected soon in them.

Quick Reply: EMD RS Grille/Front Parking Sensor Issue