Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

EMD RS5 Grill Installed > B9 S5 Prestinge

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, my grill is off,

If I don't have front camera, do I Need to take the foam piece off or will the new grill fit with the foam on ??? Thx for any input
Old 09-20-2018, 09:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coupegt87
Ok, my grill is off,

If I don't have front camera, do I Need to take the foam piece off or will the new grill fit with the foam on ??? Thx for any input
I left the foam piece off. Initially I tried whittling away what I thought might provide enough clearance but then realized that it's simply too thick unless you want the new grille insert to be mashed up against it so much that it deforms the grille itself. As mentioned in my original post, just prep and mask off the crash-bar, paint it flat or satin black and leave the foam off.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by in_an_instant
I left the foam piece off. Initially I tried whittling away what I thought might provide enough clearance but then realized that it's simply too thick unless you want the new grille insert to be mashed up against it so much that it deforms the grille itself. As mentioned in my original post, just prep and mask off the crash-bar, paint it flat or satin black and leave the foam off.
- "The tabs to remove the actual grill portion are an epic test of patience. The dude working on the S4 in the video is either a hacker, mage or has removed 1MM tabs. I spent nearly 50% of the entire install time working the old grill insert out. Take your time for sure".

Your absolutely right about the removal of the tabs.... Holy cow I spend 50% of the install on removing those tabs, my suggestion would be remove 2 tabs, and walk away for 5 min cool down, otherwise u get so frustrated u might just break some tabs.... Thanks again to in_an_instant
Old 09-20-2018, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

- "The tabs to remove the actual grill portion are an epic test of patience. The dude working on the S4 in the video is either a hacker, mage or has removed 1MM tabs. I spent nearly 50% of the entire install time working the old grill insert out. Take your time for sure".

Your absolutely right about the removal of the tabs.... Holy cow I spend 50% of the install on removing those tabs, my suggestion would be remove 2 tabs, and walk away for 5 min cool down, otherwise u get so frustrated u might just break some tabs.... Thanks again to in_an_instant
An easier way to do it next time is to insert thumb tacks or zipties in all the tabs prior to pulling. Then when that is done, start pulling from one side towards the other and they will come out like nothing!
Old 09-21-2018, 07:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Elote
I assume you just took your badge off the stock grill, correct? I had a shop install my grille yesterday and didn't know if I could just pop off the old badge or if I need to buy a new one.
Yep, I reused the badge from the stock grill!
Old 09-21-2018, 07:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
An easier way to do it next time is to insert thumb tacks or zipties in all the tabs prior to pulling. Then when that is done, start pulling from one side towards the other and they will come out like nothing!
Nice, yeah I could see the tacks helping a ton. The guy in the video seemed to be able to do it so effortlessly that I didn't even consider an alternate approach.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here she is .... Thanks for all your help with the install ( in an instant & BreedsAs ) I'm contemplating whether to install the quattro lettering on the lower part, the letters are in Red color... any thoughts ? my kid thinks it looks good all Black
The following users liked this post:
Jeremy Schumacher (09-23-2019)
Old 09-26-2018, 09:36 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I vote with your kids - but they have much more influence than me!

Looks good. Hoping to get mine installed in a week or two. Where did you get the black Audi Rings? I think i’d like to do that to mine, once it’s installed.

Thank You.

— John
Old 09-26-2018, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I vote with your kids - but they have much more influence than me!

Looks good. Hoping to get mine installed in a week or two. Where did you get the black Audi Rings? I think i’d like to do that to mine, once it’s installed.

Thank You.

— John
So the vendor offered me a choice of Chrome or Black rings, I chose the latter... You might want to install the rings before you install the grill,
Old 09-26-2018, 10:29 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

So the vendor offered me a choice of Chrome or Black rings, I chose the latter... You might want to install the rings before you install the grill,

Is yours the EMD grille or another brand? When I ordered my EMD, it was via their web site so I was never offered a choice. I have the genuine Audi Black Rings, But I’m not sure they will fit. And I know what you mean about installing them prior to installing the grille.

Thanks for the reply!

Quick Reply: EMD RS5 Grill Installed > B9 S5 Prestinge