Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Engine Start/Stop System

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zamba0321
well it's not true I had AC on (am in California) and it does the start/stop. Likely the heated seats and such draw more current than the AC so defrost and heated
seats keep it from functioning but just the AC doesn't
interesting, that's good to know!
Old 01-10-2018, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TJEli
I went into it open minded. I did not like it at all. The lag when pulling into traffic is unnerving.

As far as disabling this feature with VCDS....

Go to module 08-Auto HVAC, Adaptation, scroll to AC comfort parameters for start/stop. The stored value was 5. Change this to 0 and save. This will keep auto start/stop OFF as long as the climate control system is ON. (Who turns it off?)

-Eli
Living in Northern Cali I drive a lot without the need for the HVAC system. You're not exactly disabling the Auto Start/Stop feature, just disabling if the HVAC system is on.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

I do not like the system either, but for me it is really a moot point since I am in S mode 99% of the time so the system is already off because of that. The only time it really shows up is sometimes the system will shut the engine off when the car is shifted into park, which will surprise me at first. I have now gotten into the habit of hitting the off button on the console right after starting up the car so the system will not engage at all.

If you do choose to keep the system on and it shuts off at a stop, there are several options. 1) If you hit the auto stop off button on the console, the engine will fire up immediately and the system will stay off for the rest of the trip. 2) If you try to turn the steering wheel with a little effort, the engine will fire up since the car needs the engine on for the steering assist. 3) If you take your foot off the brake first and wait about 2 seconds before pressing on the gas pedal that will give the engine a chance to fire up and be ready to provide the power needed for smooth acceleration from the stop.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by heisnuts
I do not like the system either, but for me it is really a moot point since I am in S mode 99% of the time so the system is already off because of that. The only time it really shows up is sometimes the system will shut the engine off when the car is shifted into park, which will surprise me at first. I have now gotten into the habit of hitting the off button on the console right after starting up the car so the system will not engage at all.

If you do choose to keep the system on and it shuts off at a stop, there are several options. 1) If you hit the auto stop off button on the console, the engine will fire up immediately and the system will stay off for the rest of the trip. 2) If you try to turn the steering wheel with a little effort, the engine will fire up since the car needs the engine on for the steering assist. 3) If you take your foot off the brake first and wait about 2 seconds before pressing on the gas pedal that will give the engine a chance to fire up and be ready to provide the power needed for smooth acceleration from the stop.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Yes, I indeed tried to to get used to the 2 seconds but, it was just too weird. And yes, now I am getting more used to hitting the button right after I start the car. I wish they could make the engine re-ignition more smooth and less noticeable...
Old 01-11-2018, 11:24 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I am used to it and it doesn't bother me, heck I don't even think about it anymore.

lol
Old 01-11-2018, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't like it at all either, spend 90% of my time in S Dynamic to not deal with it and enjoy the sportier side of the car. I wonder if most (like me) upgrading the exhaust hate it. I can't wait to listen to that AWE Touring sound when it gets here! I suppose when in serious traffic jam for extended time I'd like it, but other than that nope.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Lol at you guys saying it "lags" The engine starts immediately after the brake is taken off, you cant get to the accelerator in time to beat it if you try.

But haters will be haters, start stop is a great function, works great and is easily disabled by driving in S.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Lol at you guys saying it "lags" The engine starts immediately after the brake is taken off, you cant get to the accelerator in time to beat it if you try.

But haters will be haters, start stop is a great function, works great and is easily disabled by driving in S.
I found it most annoying on my F-Type coupe and not at all seemless so it was the very first thing I always turned off upon starting the car followed immediately by activating the exhaust valves.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147

well, no one is being haters here. i'm pretty sure we all like the purpose behind it.

for some reason, my foot seems to be able to beat the engine all the time - hence the complaints about the lag. I mean, I release the brake, with no time i'm pushing the throttle already, and the engine doesn't crank the rev in time so it's kinda 'stuck' for less than a second, but noticeable. For sometime, I am wondering whether I get a faulty car, but looking around on other comments I don't think I'm alone.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:11 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Momenting
well, no one is being haters here. i'm pretty sure we all like the purpose behind it.

for some reason, my foot seems to be able to beat the engine all the time - hence the complaints about the lag. I mean, I release the brake, with no time i'm pushing the throttle already, and the engine doesn't crank the rev in time so it's kinda 'stuck' for less than a second, but noticeable. For sometime, I am wondering whether I get a faulty car, but looking around on other comments I don't think I'm alone.
Naw, you are not alone. It is just something that takes getting used to, but once you are it isn't a thing anymore.

Just lift your foot off the brake, let the engine start and press the gas and go. No sense in being in a mad rush just to get to the next stupid red light..

Quick Reply: Engine Start/Stop System