Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Euro Sportback mystery button - What does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
I don't like it, never use it. Needs a decent prod on the accelerator to disengage - far too much so when parallel parking, and you feel the hesitation in general driving from starting off. Audi mention it is beneficial when towing something. But I have it on both cars, as it was worth the $100 or so not to have a blank switch plate
On the golf R you can change the brake holding pressure using OBD11, might be able to on audi too.

Also, on the golf and I'm sure the audi too, if you dont press the brake hard the auto-hold doesnt actually engage. Once you use it for a little while you never accidentally engage the auto hold with a lead foot.

Last edited by ArvX147; 06-13-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love this... "Euro button"

Had to go out and check for you.

It's what we call "start-stop" - the car shuts off the engine when you come to a stand still and automatically kicks back in when you release the brake.

Do you guys not have this?
Old 06-15-2019, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Stim
Love this... "Euro button"

Had to go out and check for you.

It's what we call "start-stop" - the car shuts off the engine when you come to a stand still and automatically kicks back in when you release the brake.

Do you guys not have this?
That is most definitely not the engine start/stop button. Like plenty of people have already replied, it is the Hill Start/Auto Hold button.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MRA5SB
That is most definitely not the engine start/stop button. Like plenty of people have already replied, it is the Hill Start/Auto Hold button.
No, I think you're misreading my post. The technology is known as 'start-stop'.. it doesn't start and stop the engine when you press the button. It's what you've described, read here:

https://www.audi.co.uk/glossary#start-stop-system

Start-stop system

The start-stop system automatically switches off the engine when the car is moving at a low speed or is stopped, for example at traffic lights, and starts it automatically when the speed increases or the journey continues.

As the car is braking to a standstill, the system switches off the engine and signals this via a symbol on the dashboard. When you release the brake pedal to continue on your journey, the engine starts and the symbol on the dashboard is removed.
Old 06-15-2019, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Stim
No, I think you're misreading my post. The technology is known as 'start-stop'.. it doesn't start and stop the engine when you press the button. It's what you've described, read here:

https://www.audi.co.uk/glossary#start-stop-system

[b][u]
Still, while claiming to correct the other poster, you are incorrect
Old 06-15-2019, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I thought they were actually one in the same tech, but after having a manual read obviously not.

You can see the confusion given that the logos are practically the same.. sorry about that.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Auto hold (not hill hold, that is different) allows you to take your foot off the brake at a stoplight and it will hold the car by engaging the brake. Is this something you'd want? Or if you are so inclined with your current car, you can just pull the parking brake, and then it will automatically disengage when you press the accelerator.
The following users liked this post:
MaBaCaPa (10-12-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 09:16 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
Auto hold (not hill hold, that is different) allows you to take your foot off the brake at a stoplight and it will hold the car by engaging the brake. Is this something you'd want? Or if you are so inclined with your current car, you can just pull the parking brake, and then it will automatically disengage when you press the accelerator.

Which is one feature I really appreciate in this car. Only downside is when the e-brake engages and you lift your foot off the brake pedal, the rear brake light does go out. Not that big of a deal — until you consider all the “distracted” drivers out there and they think your car is still in motion.

— John
The following users liked this post:
MaBaCaPa (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
I don't like it, never use it. Needs a decent prod on the accelerator to disengage - far too much so when parallel parking, and you feel the hesitation in general driving from starting off. Audi mention it is beneficial when towing something. But I have it on both cars, as it was worth the $100 or so not to have a blank switch plate
In the states, we don't have that button, just the filler panel. Since the parking brake is electronic, and disengages when you apply pressure on the accelerator pedal, I use it to handle the auto-hold duties (although, when I take my foot off the brake pedal, the brake lights go off).

The e-trons I've driven though, have the auto-hold feature built-in and you can see the little green "circle A" symbol appear on the virtual cockpit when it's engaged.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
It looks like the buttons below the volume **** in the 1st picture is to raise and lower the air suspension?
The US spec picture is a convertable, so those two pull switches raise and lower the roof.

The extra button beside the e-brake is the auto-hold, it keeps the wheel brakes (not just the e-brake) engaged when stopped on a slope. I just installed one in my car.

Quick Reply: Euro Sportback mystery button - What does it do?