Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

The Europrice S5 Sportback Project Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm really confused as to why you think the stock grille looks like a hyundai sonata when hyundai ripped off the audi grille for their design. A company rips off an iconic design from a much better brand and suddenly its no longer the premium company's unique design language?

The BO grille is nice, but its not $1k to remove some chrome nice, and its certainly not significantly different in design than the stock grille or the hyundai grille.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm not one to judge how people use their hard (or easy) earned money.
That said, I will skip dishing out $1k on just the main center black optic grille. Either Audi or the middleman retailers are making a killing on that price. At the end of the day, it's just a black version of the stock grille. The design is the same and it's probably cheaper to produce than the factory silver and grey version.
The black optic package normally includes a wheel swap and load of other "dark" trim for $1500 or so. Now I know it is partially subsidized by the removal of the factory bright trim parts from the order, but still.
I think the majority of this board agrees as very few members have the black optic front end grilles (unless they're car came with it). Many show little interest in getting it compared to aftermarket options for what I guess is similar reasons.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
I'm really confused as to why you think the stock grille looks like a hyundai sonata when hyundai ripped off the audi grille for their design. A company rips off an iconic design from a much better brand and suddenly its no longer the premium company's unique design language?

The BO grille is nice, but its not $1k to remove some chrome nice, and its certainly not significantly different in design than the stock grille or the hyundai grille.

Ok the stock grill and the Hyundai Sonata grill look pretty similar, regardless of which came first. Actually I think Ford was the first to put the heavy thick chrome slats on their cars. It really doesn't matter where it came from first, I'm not a big fan of it and it is the part of my car that I care for the least.

It shouldn't be that confusing. What is confusing its why you want to rain on my parade. I'm kind of excited about this because to me the Black Optics look is well worth the cost to make my car unique and look much better in my opinion. I would have paid for it as a factory option if it were available in the US. It's not significantly different in design, but in my opinion it's worlds different in look and style.

With your way of thinking, it could be questioned if an S5 is worth the difference in price compared to a Sonata? I happen to think it is, as is the cost of adding this BO kit to my car. That's the beauty of it. We all have different tastes and what we consider is worth our hard earned money to make something special to the person it matters to the most, ourselves.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BreedsAs
I'm not one to judge how people use their hard (or easy) earned money.
That said, I will skip dishing out $1k on just the main center black optic grille. <snip>.......
I think the majority of this board agrees as very few members have the black optic front end grilles (unless they're car came with it). Many show little interest in getting it compared to aftermarket options for what I guess is similar reasons.
I think it is up to the individual to decide what they like and want. Personally the fact the the majority might not want it makes me want it even more as that makes my car more unique. But that is only because my car is black and I don't care for all the chrome bling. If I owned a silver or grey car I'd probably think differently. As it is,I can't wait to get this kit on my car.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

PRGeno, what you going to do with your old grill?
Old 11-15-2017, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 3cat
PRGeno, what you going to do with your old grill?
Good question. Unless someone wants it I'll just keep it and give it to whoever buys my car when that day comes.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PRGeno
It shouldn't be that confusing. What is confusing its why you want to rain on my parade.
I'm the one raining on your parade when your post is literally crapping on the looks of nearly every other car on the board?
Old 11-16-2017, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking forward to seeing it all come together on your car. It's all personal preference. The blacked out look is still better than the chrome at the end of the day IMO. How you want to get there is up to you.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147
I'm the one raining on your parade when your post is literally crapping on the looks of nearly every other car on the board?
I was speaking about the feelings I have about my grill on my black car. But I want to apologize if I offended you and your car, and anyone else who took my excitement about what I believe is an upgrade to MY car as offense to them and their cars. I really hope you enjoy your very handsome grill.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 223 Likes on 181 Posts

IMHO it's about personal preference and the model/body color combo. I've kept full chrome, even added more chrome with S4 mirror caps, on certain cars like the project Allroad and it looked amazing:

Also done brighter colors with black optic:

And now a medium to darker color with black optic and carbon:

Different strokes for different folks...

Glad to have helped PRGeno and love the enthusiasm!

Quick Reply: The Europrice S5 Sportback Project Thread...