Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

The Europrice S5 Sportback Project Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alex - looking amazing. Love the steering wheel, shift ****, and most of all the stance. I have a mythos black prem+ SB due in Jan and while I love the car, it doesn't yet excite me like my 2015 S5 daytona with black optics does (I have H&R OE springs and spacers with the factory 19" rotors, so the stance is right).

Still debating on swapping the grill on the SB but leaning towards yes. A little worried about the full black out, which I don't prefer so will likely wrap the window trim in gloss black, and then leave the rest of the brushed alu trim for some contrast. Am planning on 20's for the SB (was set on Hartmann S7 reps in 20's but these Vorsteiners are starting to peak my interest, prob in a lighter shade if available). Was going to stick to only spacers but no drop as at times my current car felt too low. Also burned through the inside of my tires fairly quickly due to the drop (had it aligned but still an issue). Wondering if you have any shots of the car on those wheels but without the drop?

In any event, look forward to hitting you up for some help once the car shows up.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 226 Likes on 182 Posts

The V-FF107's were only fitted after the H&R sport springs went on so no photos at stock height sorry. My suggestion for dealing with inner tear wear is to run zero or near zero toe up front. Also combine this with reasonable aggressive rotation front/rear, every 2-3k miles. If you really want to get every last ounce out of tires you can also watch for the inner edge to wear 70-75% and then have the tires flopped. This means having a tire shop dismount left and mount to the right and vice versa. This puts the inner edge on the outside and the not nearly as worn outer edge on the inner. Can stretch another few thousand miles out that way. Would be happy to help with the Vorsteiner wheels if needed and they do these in the Carbon Graphite which is not as dark as the semi-gloss black I went with. There will be some Black Friday/Holiday mystery box gifts available for orders passed 11/24.

As for the black optics. You could do a mix, maybe do the black optic bumper grilles and trim but leave the stock chrome grille. Then at the rear just get the black valence and mount the chrome trim to it. That way you have more of a contrast or you could do the opposite and do the black trim with the platinum grey stock valence. There are ways to mix things up and not go full black out, though the full black out could look really good.

If you have any other questions or needs don't hesitate to let me know via PM or email: contact@europrice.us

Cheers!

Old 11-17-2017, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, I had some time so I started this project. The rear trim and valance are installed and looking great! I think it looks sooooo much better than the chrome strip and grey valance on my Mythos Black coupe. It's too dark out to get a decent picture, and I don't think pictures will do it justice anyway. But I'll try in the light of day tomorrow. But looking at the shots Alexander has in this thread show it well and I can't imagine any shots I take will look any better, and likely not as good.

I did the rear parts first because it seemed that it would be easier and quicker than the front grills, and this is the first time I've ever done this. What I'll say is it was relatively easy, but there were some challenges along the way. The biggest challenge was getting the clips holding the foot kick trunk release electronics off the old valence. The clips that hold it on were ridiculous to get off. Also the side clips holding the valance on require more pulling pressure than I wanted to apply for fear of breaking something. But I finally got them to come loose without break anything. The total time it took, taking my time, was about an hour and a half, including the tedious task of removing the old tape that held on the wire channel assembly for the foot kick sensor wiring which needs to be reused from the old valance.

So that part is done, it looks great, and the foot kick trunk release even still works. Woo Hoo! Maybe tomorrow I'll have time to give the front grill and parts a go.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Got it all done this weekend. Here are some shots of the final results. I like this more aggressive look soooo much better.

Sorry for the dirty car, it has been raining for days, but the sun came out just as I finished and let me take these shots.

BEFORE

AFTER

Rear Trim and valance

Old 11-20-2017, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Coming together nicely! This is how the mythos black should look like imo. Great work on the DIY installation.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by freesole
Coming together nicely! This is how the mythos black should look like imo. Great work on the DIY installation.
Thanks, I'm probably going to have nightmares for weeks about little German molding clips attacking me in my sleep. But it really is coming together nicely and starting to become uniquely mine. I agree the Black Optics package looks great with Mythos Black and should definitely be an available option in the US. I'm not sure it works with all colors, but several colors would be able to make good use of it.

Now I need to get it in for the XPel and Modesto treatments before Winter really hits.

Last edited by PRGeno; 11-20-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Time for that orange to go away!

Working on the next set of smaller mods to complete the v1.0 of this project and get ready for summer...

Old 03-10-2018, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On my 2006 A3, I bought the black grill through the dealer, I think it was around $500 for it, and the crossbar section. Swapping it was a major pain, as I had to release a whole bunch of tough plastic clips that weren't meant to be released. (I could have but them, but I wanted to keep the old one usable,
I'd love to minimize the oversize Audi grille again, but not for over 1K. I'd probably mask it off and get some rattle cans of flat black instead
Rear headrests? I've never carried rear seat passengers in my 06 A3, and have no plans for this one, so I'll just pull the headrests and store them along with the cargo area cover panels.

Last edited by Waggin; 03-11-2018 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi! Great result. Awesome project!

I currently have a B9 Sportback in Daytona Gray as well (see picture below). I'm driving on the excact same wheel size 275/30R20 (rims: GMP Italia ATOM Anthracite) and I'm currently thinking about lowering my car. Just not sure how much. Yours however is exactly what I'm looking for (visually). Would you mind telling us know how many mm you had yours lowered? Would be really helpful. Thanks :-)

Originally Posted by Alex@Europrice.us
275/30R-20 Yokohama S.drive XL
20x10" ET30
No spacers
- Fitment is really spot on for the S5 B9. No rubbing, looks nice and flush, super happy with the setup.

Vorsteiner did send some of their spline drive bolts, but sadly the front of the B9 models is super tight in terms of ability to run longer bolts. The spline drive bolts are 30mm and the factory bolts are 27mm. That extra 3mm locked things up on the front so I did move over to some 27mm cone seat black coated bolts. The factory size bolts are what work, but the Vorsteiner wheels are cone seat and not ball seat so proper bolts are needed.

Thank you!
Old 03-26-2018, 09:13 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

H&R lowering springs were used in conjunction with the factory mag-ride dampers. With the wheel/tire size change it's hard to say the exact lowering amount, but H&R claims around 20mm for S models like ours and 40mm for A5 models that do not have sport springs.

Sport Springs H&R A5, S5

If you want the freedom to lower an exact amount there is also the H&R VTF setup. The VTF system uses threaded sleeves up front and threaded perches in the rear to allow you to keep the factory dampers and have the adjustability of a coilover suspension:

Sport Springs H&R VTF Height Adjustable

You can click on either of those links for more information if needed. If you have any questions don't hesitate to let me know or PM/email: contact@europrice.us

Cheers!

Quick Reply: The Europrice S5 Sportback Project Thread...