Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Exhaust Tips - Is This Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Factory rep finally was able to evaluate the tips and they authorized a "one time" replacement. They still seem to suspect that I used something on it that damaged it. Unless a polish made for chrome coatings did it, I did't use anything on it that could have caused any problems. Anyway, they ordered the tips and should have them in a few days. If you are seeing this on your car, I strongly recommend reporting it and pushing them to replace them. If it's a big enough problem, they'll have it on record and will be more willing to replace them for people.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I will report it this week. One has completely delaminated.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S5owneralmost
I think I will report it this week. One has completely delaminated.
My suggestion is to take some chrome polish and get all that carbon off of there. Otherwise they will fixate on the carbon and not understand that you are talking about the chrome itself.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TanStarfield
My suggestion is to take some chrome polish and get all that carbon off of there. Otherwise they will fixate on the carbon and not understand that you are talking about the chrome itself.

I did...three times. The other three pipes are very clean in comparison to this particular one which leads me to my second concern of why this one has so much issue but not the other three. The others have some flaking off of the chrome finish, but not nearly to this extent.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

I did...three times. The other three pipes are very clean in comparison to this particular one which leads me to my second concern of why this one has so much issue but not the other three. The others have some flaking off of the chrome finish, but not nearly to this extent.
Could it be the valve in that exhaust is always open and therefore gets more carbon buildup then the other 3?
Old 06-01-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Try Borla Chrome Exhaust Cleaner with steel wool applicator. Apply like you were waxing the pipes. Go over and over the tips. Let dry for 15 minutes then wipe clean with microfiber towel. Try it 4-5 times. I know, an hour & a half? I was able to restore a 1999 Toyota Camry & 2009 Audi A4 to probably 90% of original and have used on my wife's 2017 A4 to keep the pipes from corroding at all. Good product, just requires some elbow grease.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kctiger1983
Try Borla Chrome Exhaust Cleaner with steel wool applicator. Apply like you were waxing the pipes. Go over and over the tips. Let dry for 15 minutes then wipe clean with microfiber towel. Try it 4-5 times. I know, an hour & a half? I was able to restore a 1999 Toyota Camry & 2009 Audi A4 to probably 90% of original and have used on my wife's 2017 A4 to keep the pipes from corroding at all. Good product, just requires some elbow grease.
Thanks for the heads up, but the damage was already done. Delamination nation! Supposedly the replacement exhaust tips are on order with my dealer. They've been on order since May.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kctiger1983
BEST product on the market for this issue. Comes in a steel colored container. The key is to use the steel wool as if you are waxing the tips. Heck, do the entire pipe section that is accessible. Completely agree with this exact description of the time and work neccessary. I used to restore pipes on a 2008 Toyota Camry and use periodically on my wife's 2017 A4. Not overly expensive.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanB8.5
Has anyone heard of this happening on the B9 RS5's? I know they use a different type exhaust, but possibly the same tip material? Over here they come with and without black tips ..."regular" and sport exhaust setup in the Dynamic Package. I hope this isn't something I have to pay attention to when I get my RS5 SB in the future.
The 2018 RS5 has a big, oval black "tip". The pipes can be cleaned easily, and you won't see any "carbon/black buildup". In fact, along with using Helix Black/High Temp Racing Exhaust paint to paint my exhaust bladders a flat black, I've painted the connections on the underside all the way to where the exhaust tips connect to the pipes. With the BOPackage, this creates a clean look, where the exhaust bladders "disappear". You can even use the Helix to coat the inside of the exhaust pipes (first 2-3 inches) to keep the appearance of the inner exhaust as clean as the shinier outside of the pipes. I checked with a racing house locally, and doing this does not present any health hazards. Just let the paint cure on the underside by running the car in neutral in your driveway (open air) for 30 minutes after each coat applied. For the steel/chrome exhaust pipes, Borla Exhaust Cleaner with steel wool does an amazing job!
Old 10-05-2018, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Glad to say they’re now replaced and look great! Persistence and pictures to the dealer paid off.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Tips - Is This Normal?