Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Extended Term protection worth it?

Old 01-29-2019, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
So all it covers is a $100 set of brake pads? The rotor is the more expensive part. Most German cars requires a new rotor when changing pads.
yep-just the pads / labor. And the OEM pads on my Q5 are terrible. They squeak and squeal all over the place.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess the question is how long should you wait before replacing the brake pads and rotors since that's also covered under the extended term warranty and imo would be the main reason to get it. I'd imagine replacing all 4 brakes and rotors plus alignment would be worth the ~2k price. Warranty is good for 50k miles so would you replace it prior to 50k miles assuming normal daily driving and not driving like a hooligan.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How does the math add up to $2000 for the maintenance plan? Year one maintenance is free, year 2 and 4 are oil changes, inspection and brake flush at about $600, year 3 is just oil change and inspection at about $300. add in another few hundred dollars for brake pads you may not may not need and wiper blades and cabin filter and it still does add up.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

How does the math add up to $2000 for the maintenance plan? Year one maintenance is free, year 2 and 4 are oil changes, inspection and brake flush at about $600, year 3 is just oil change and inspection at about $300. add in another few hundred dollars for brake pads you may not may not need and wiper blades and cabin filter and it still does add up.
I believe the $2k is just Term Care, plus you pay another $1k for Audi Care. Term Care is for mechanical parts listed vs. Audi Care covers the standard in warranty type regular maintenance.

Originally Posted by Rius
I guess the question is how long should you wait before replacing the brake pads and rotors since that's also covered under the extended term warranty and imo would be the main reason to get it. I'd imagine replacing all 4 brakes and rotors plus alignment would be worth the ~2k price. Warranty is good for 50k miles so would you replace it prior to 50k miles assuming normal daily driving and not driving like a hooligan.
Bought my Q5 in Oct 2013...brakes still have 8mm left on them @ 66k miles. I was somewhat shocked and had expected to need to replace them. Also the battery continues to check out, etc. So for me it was a real waste of money that I could have used for many other things - including a 2% interest savings account or investments. Oh well, you live and learn.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

So the term protection is different than the vehicle service protection and separate from the audicare or the factory warranty. The Term protection will cover 4 yrs/50,000 miles for brake pads/rotors, battery, belts/hoses, windshield wiper blades, 2 wheel alignments, fluids, headlamps, bulbs/fuses. The factory warranty and audicare will not cover brakes/rotors/alignments/etc. At least that's my understanding unless I'm wrong.

Again imo the only reason to get the Term Protection would be if the brakes/rotors will need to be replaced within the first 50k miles. My question is how much will replacing all 4 brakes/rotors and an alignment cost (ie >$2000) and will it be necessary within the first 4 yrs/50,000 miles?

EDIT: I posted this before seeing arrtewwx's post. Thanks for your input, that's definitely helpful and makes me more confident I didn't get.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:53 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,378 Posts

To your point about replacing parts prior to the 50K mile warranty expiration — I don’t know that if you didn’t need new brakes or rotors (due to pad life left) if your dealer would just replace them.

Just a thought — I have no idea how this would play out.

If, as my car gets near that 1 year mark and I’ve had no “issues”, I’ll take my chances and not buy the extended warranty.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

To your point about replacing parts prior to the 50K mile warranty expiration — I don’t know that if you didn’t need new brakes or rotors (due to pad life left) if your dealer would just replace them.

Just a thought — I have no idea how this would play out.

If, as my car gets near that 1 year mark and I’ve had no “issues”, I’ll take my chances and not buy the extended warranty.
I asked this specific question when contemplating the package. I was told that even if they don't "need" to be replaced towards the end of the warranty they will replace them for you upon request.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So the term protection is different than the vehicle service protection and separate from the audicare or the factory warranty. The Term protection will cover 4 yrs/50,000 miles for brake pads/rotors, battery, belts/hoses, windshield wiper blades, 2 wheel alignments, fluids, headlamps, bulbs/fuses. The factory warranty and audicare will not cover brakes/rotors/alignments/etc. At least that's my understanding unless I'm wrong.

Again imo the only reason to get the Term Protection would be if the brakes/rotors will need to be replaced within the first 50k miles. My question is how much will replacing all 4 brakes/rotors and an alignment cost (ie >$2000) and will it be necessary within the first 4 yrs/50,000 miles?

EDIT: I posted this before seeing arrtewwx's post. Thanks for your input, that's definitely helpful and makes me more confident I didn't get.
chances are, you will not need brakes, battery, belts, hoses and headlights before 4 years. 3 sets of wipers are about $300, front wheel aglignment $200, fluids $50, built in profit $450.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

chances are, you will not need brakes, battery, belts, hoses and headlights before 4 years. 3 sets of wipers are about $300, front wheel aglignment $200, fluids $50, built in profit $450.
Ok that's good to know. But given what evanseric said now I'm wondering if it's worth it to get it and just have them change the brake/pads rotors anyway at like 45,000 miles and not have to worry about it for the next 5+ years......decisions decisions.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this recently somewhere on here.

I recently got a new car and had to figure out if I should buy Road Hazard Tire & Wheel Coverage, Extended Warranty, Audi Care, and Term Care Service. In hopes to help someone looking for this info, here's a breakdown of what mine covers, what I paid, and a link to the actual contract terms:

2019 RS5 Sportback

**Mechanical Failure Service Contract** (extended warranty):
Platinum coverage, 10 years, 100k miles, $100 deductible
Acceptance: multi-dealer
Cost: $5,844 @ the time of vehicle purchase
Coverage: Engine, transmission, drive axle, cooling, steering, brakes, AC, suspension, electrical, ecu reprogramming, alternate transportation, towing coverage, travel breakdown, diagnostic, fluid
Cancelation: 30 days 100% reimbursement. 30 - 60 days, 100% less $50 fee, 60+ days prorated
If these things break or wear abnormally as a result of normal use this covers it.
[The contract](https://p.widencdn.net/brcs1v/S4928)

**Road Hazard Tire and Wheel Coverage:**
Deluxe coverage, 60 months, unlimited mileage, $0 deductible, max $5k payout over the life of the contract
Acceptance: **selling dealer**
Cost: $1,450 @ the time of vehicle purchase
Coverage: Repair or replacement of any tire or wheel damaged as the results of a road hazard. "**Coverage is limited to the original set of tires and wheels on the vehicle at the time of purchase and new replacement tires**
**or wheels"**. The dealer said "it will be fine if you change the wheels to aftermarket while the car is still new, this will cover it". So I bought this coverage. I got home and reade the online contract and found the above statement. Called the dealer, they said when making a claim I would have to say I bought the car with aftermarket wheels, aka lie.
Cancelation: 30 days 100% reimbursement. 30 - 60 days, 100% less $50 fee, 60+ days prorated
[The contract](https://p.widencdn.net/cmvgh0/R7395)

**Term Care Select:**
Platinum Plus Rotors, 48 months, 50k miles, $0 deductible
Cost: $2,038 @ the time of vehicle purchase
Coverage: brake pads, battery, headlamp, belts & hoses, wiper blades, electrical (fuses, bulbs, etc...), wheel alignment, brake rotors, roadside assistance
The dealer told me that this also covers the cost to replace 1 lost key ($450 or something like that). Either I'm missing that in the contract or it's not in there.
[The contract](https://p.widencdn.net/abw7l1/T8773)

**Audi Care Scheduled Maintenance Plan:**
20, 20, 40, 50k maintenance
Cost: $999 @ the time of vehicle purchase
Coverage: Normal service schedule
Dealer said I could only get the first 5 years. After the 5th year I'll be eligible to purchase additional years.
[Info](http://audilibrary.audiusa.com/services/Services/2017-2019-audi-care/index.html)

A few notes:
\- The terms of the contracts are all digital. They're referenced at the bottom of the signature pages.
\- I found some serious conflicts with how/what the dealer explained vs what the terms were. Educate yourself and assume all claims will follow the terms to the letter. If you have any questions call Fidelity Warranty Services.
\- Costs for these plans were significantly higher after year 1 and on
\- Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc service the extended warranty, road hazard, & term care.
\- The dealer said some discount was applied to costs because the vehicle was ordered, opposed to buying one off the lot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Term protection worth it?