Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Extended Term protection worth it?

Old 01-28-2019, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Extended Term protection worth it?

There was a thread in here earlier talking about warranties but can't seem to find it anymore so here it goes:

I just picked up my S5 SB yesterday and as usual they were trying to sell me all kinds of coverages/warranties etc.

Just wondering if the extended term protection and the vehicle service protections are worth it? I'm considering the extended term which my dealer quoted me for 7 yrs/100k miles at $3900 or 7yrs/120k miles at 4200. My main concern is all the tech and electronics in the car. If that virtual cockpit breaks or any part of the MMI hardware breaks I'm sure it'll cost an arm and a leg to replace. Given the unproven reliability since it's only been out a couple years is it worth it to get the extended term warranty?

Also wondering if it's worth it to get the vehicle service protections which covers the first 50k miles. Dealership quoting me about $2000, saying the main benefit is replacing a set of brakes/rotors and alignments....especially with all the fancy suspension stuff alignments are more complicated and costly.

Did you guys get any of this or no? Did you go with an independent warranty company? Just trying to get some more opinions on this before I make a decision.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I could be wrong but I always thought that brakes and alignments are not covered under the maintenance plan. As far as the extended warranty, I would wait until your 4 years factory warranty is almost up before you need to decide to buy the warranty or not.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:59 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I could be wrong but I always thought that brakes and alignments are not covered under the maintenance plan. As far as the extended warranty, I would wait until your 4 years factory warranty is almost up before you need to decide to buy the warranty or not.
Possibly some 3rd party warranty? I purchased the 5 Year Maintenance Warranty for about $800 — but it doesn’t cover “consumables” ( brakes & rotors, tires and other “normal wear” items).

I agree with your advice to wait to wait for a few years before buying the Extended Warranty program as any serious problems should surface in that period.

Old 01-29-2019, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just had an S3 quoted for my wife, and they too told me that the main benefit of Audi Term Care is that it will cover 1 set of front/rear brake maintenance. Also, see below (though it appears to be from 2016):

Audi Term Care
Old 01-29-2019, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Term Care does include brake pads among other things. I have attached the details from my contract. I declined but was told I have until 1 year or 12k miles to add it for the same price. It comes with Audi Care but it you already have Audi Care it's $100 less.

Last edited by evanseric21; 01-29-2019 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:19 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I took the extended warranty since I the last time I had any dealings with Audi reliability was 1985.

A lot has changed since then but I didn't want to take any chances.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by evanseric21
Term Care does include brake pads among other things. I have attached the details from my contract. I declined but was told I have until 1 year or 12k miles to add it for the same price. It comes with Audi Care but it you already have Audi Care it's $100 less.
It doesn’t include rotors - or didn’t when I bought it once. Overall, I didn’t find term care a good investment since I only used the alignment and wiper blade replacement, right before time expired.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx

It doesn’t include rotors - or didn’t when I bought it once. Overall, I didn’t find term care a good investment since I only used the alignment and wiper blade replacement, right before time expired.
So all it covers is a $100 set of brake pads? The rotor is the more expensive part. Most German cars requires a new rotor when changing pads.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx

How much did that alignment and wipers end up costing you? As a rule, I always decline extended warranties and maintenance plans, though I may purchase Audicare this time around.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
How much did that alignment and wipers end up costing you? As a rule, I always decline extended warranties and maintenance plans, though I may purchase Audicare this time around.
It was covered under the term care I had. I used what I could, at the last minute. In all, it was a waste of money and I determined to not make that mistake again -- even at the behest of the finance guy, for my A5. Audicare is a no brainer for me. I bought it via Troy @ FD-warranty this time around. No sales tax for us Texans.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Term protection worth it?