AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Extended Warranty - Is it worth it? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/extended-warranty-worth-2965058/)

mpatel1080 01-12-2019 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by arrtewwx (Post 25260732)

FWIW, when I purchased my FD warranty, Troy told me it was the same warranty, just not branded Audi.

Audi warranty used to be administered by fidelity, it is now administered by someone else. I had no issues with Fidelity paying for repairs with my previous Audi. The benefit of the Fidelity warranty is that you can purchase with up to 10K miles on the odometer, and the term is from when you buy the warranty, not when you bought the car. So for example if you bought your car Jan 1, 2018 and you now have 9999 miles and you buy a 7 year/100K miles you would have coverage until Jan 12. 2026 and 109999 miles. Anyone who wants an extended warranty should call Troy at FD warranty, his prices are great and he will explain the differences (he sells both Audi and Fidelity)

arrtewwx 01-12-2019 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by mpatel1080 (Post 25260861)
Audi warranty used to be administered by fidelity, it is now administered by someone else. I had no issues with Fidelity paying for repairs with my previous Audi. The benefit of the Fidelity warranty is that you can purchase with up to 10K miles on the odometer, and the term is from when you buy the warranty, not when you bought the car. So for example if you bought your car Jan 1, 2018 and you now have 9999 miles and you buy a 7 year/100K miles you would have coverage until Jan 12. 2026 and 109999 miles. Anyone who wants an extended warranty should call Troy at FD warranty, his prices are great and he will explain the differences (he sells both Audi and Fidelity)

I bought mine at 49,925 miles (right before the factory warranty was set to expire via miles) so I could only get the Fidelity branded version- if you meant you can get the Audi branded version (prior to their switching providers) if you are below 10k miles.

mpatel1080 01-12-2019 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by arrtewwx (Post 25260867)

I bought mine at 49,925 miles (right before the factory warranty was set to expire via miles) so I could only get the Fidelity branded version- if you meant you can get the Audi branded version (prior to their switching providers) if you are below 10k miles.

According to what Troy told me a few weeks ago the Audi warranty is now administered by sure guard or safe guard or something like that. Fidelity is still available, but not Audi branded. The term for the Audi branded one now starts with the original purchase date of the vehicle and 0 on the odometer. You may have less denials with an Audi branded warranty because while it is administered by a third party the obligor (party that actually pays claims) is still VW/Audi or some entity owned by it.

The G Man 01-12-2019 10:25 AM

As far as I know, fd-direct’s audi extended warranty is an aftermarket warranty, not the same as what the dealer sells. I do believe fd-direct’s lexus and toyota warranty are from the factory. Keep in mind all aftermarket warranty require an approval before the dealer can work on it.

MRA5SB 01-12-2019 10:27 AM

Yeah I think Audi changed administrators recently - but the point still remains that the official Audi extended warranty still involves a third party. I may have been mistaken in my earlier post about which one is the current third party.

mpatel1080 01-12-2019 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25260872)
As far as I know, fd-direct’s audi extended warranty is an aftermarket warranty, not the same as what the dealer sells. I do believe fd-direct’s lexus and toyota warranty are from the factory. Keep in mind all aftermarket warranty require an approval before the dealer can work on it.

FD Warranty sells both the Audi branded and Fidelity. Email them for quotes, they respond very quickly,

Originally Posted by MRA5SB (Post 25260874)
Yeah I think Audi changed administrators recently - but the point still remains that the official Audi extended warranty still involves a third party. I may have been mistaken in my earlier post about which one is the current third party.

A third party is the administrator of the policy, but VW/Audi pays the claims. It is possible you have more pull with VW/Audi when it comes to questionable claims denials. If your car is tuned, aftermarket warranty may be better because they do not have the ability to check for tunes that VW/Audi could in the case of a very expensive engine or transmission repair.

HRD 01-26-2020 03:36 PM

Similar question

I recently purchased a 2020 Audi Q3. Of course I wasn’t prepared for the financier guys office so he talked me into three different warranty plans. I have 30 days to cancel.

I am seeing some similar quotes and some are cheaper. Is it worth to extend warranty when purchasing or just cross that bridge when the new buyer warranty wears off.

Automatic 4 years / 50,000 miles

1. Extended warranty offered - 10 years / 100,000 miles for $4450
2. Tire & Wheels - 7 years for $1934
3. Audi Care Plus - typical service plans for vehicle for the first 5 visits (every 10,000 mile service appt. - for $799

Thoughts?? I need some Audi expert advice!

arrtewwx 01-26-2020 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by HRD (Post 25413287)
I recently purchased a 2020 Audi Q3. Of course I wasn’t prepared for the financier guys office so he talked me into three different warranty plans. I have 30 days to cancel.

I am seeing some similar quotes and some are cheaper. Is it worth to extend warranty when purchasing or just cross that bridge when the new buyer warranty wears off.

Automatic 4 years / 50,000 miles

1. Extended warranty offered - 10 years / 100,000 miles for $4450
2. Tire & Wheels - 7 years for $1934
3. Audi Care Plus - typical service plans for vehicle for the first 5 visits (every 10,000 mile service appt. - for $799

Thoughts?? I need some Audi expert advice!

You can always buy the extended warranties, after the fact, before the factory warranty expires (I did).

FWIW I have a MY14 Q5, with 79k miles, and just had a CEL light come on. Dealer indicated it’s a stretched timing chain, that needs replacement along with the tensioner. They also saw the head gasket was leaking. All told about $4,500 in repairs, but will cost me $250 plus 30min in labor, due to the warranty I have (Fidelity Platinum). It paid for itself and expires in May or at 83k...time to renew it, since I want to keep it for another year or two. Just depends on your risk tolerance and what you want to do.

farmerjones 01-26-2020 08:11 PM

While you can buy an extended warranty at any time, the younger/fewer miles your car has on it significantly affects the price of the extended warranty. If you are going to get the warranty anyways you will save money by purchasing it now. The tire and wheel warranty seems excessively expensive since your vehicle doesn't have "super-expensive" rims/tires like some cars do, and that could be covered by an insurance claim potentially. The extended warranty does make sense, but I think you can buy the same warrant for less money/discount that what was offered to you here. While I know it is a different brand I just bough a 10/125,000 extended warranty on my mom's new S60 for $2608. I'd do some homework and check on the cost, cause it looks like it was dramatically marked up for profit.

JD15 01-27-2020 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by arrtewwx (Post 25413340)
You can always buy the extended warranties, after the fact, before the factory warranty expires (I did).

FWIW I have a MY14 Q5, with 79k miles, and just had a CEL light come on. Dealer indicated it’s a stretched timing chain, that needs replacement along with the tensioner. They also saw the head gasket was leaking.

Semi off-topic, but how often did you change the oil on that car? I had hoped that the 2.0T's problems with stretched timing chains had been solved, but apparently not.