Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

FasTrak Hidden Mount

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

I much prefer the sticker over the box. I just put in the windshield directly behind the mirror such that it is out of my line of sight, granted ours is not that horrible bright blue color.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1
New Jersey’s system is RFID, not optical. It’s been out for about 20 years and has been reliable. I hope they don’t go to an optical tag!
Ours is RFID too. The Dallas toll system was the inventor of toll tags apparently. You can get “specialty” tags with sports teams, universities, etc. but it’s still an ugly sticker. For now, I’ll stick with my plastic case. I only lose interoperability with Oklahoma and Kansas toll systems — neither of which I go to or plan to go to soon
Old 02-11-2019, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here’s what mine looks like. I like it - just need to take the next steps and plastidip it.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:49 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts

California has announced a transition to stickers in the next 6 months but they're calling them "sticker transponders" so I'm guessing RFID, not optical. With the current transponder box, I remove and shield it to avoid a charge when driving on the mixed usage lanes when carpooling (i.e. free for carpool and tool applied to transponders for single passenger cars) and that's mainly why I made my cradle but I'm wondering how stickers will work as you just cant remove and reapply stickers.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:00 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

This is how big and ugly our are:

Over the last 20 years they have only gotten a tiny bit smaller. Our other option is a front license plate frame — but I’d be worried about it “disappearing” if I parked the car in a public spot.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nikon1
This is how big and ugly our are:

Over the last 20 years they have only gotten a tiny bit smaller. Our other option is a front license plate frame — but I’d be worried about it “disappearing” if I parked the car in a public spot.
You should totally plastidip it - you can peel it off if you have to and avoid that $35 fee. You can’t run with a front plate because then you would cover up that wonderful looking grille
Old 02-11-2019, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In CA I had 1 transponder but added 2 vehicles to my account. Since there are cameras that grab your plates, I have no issues driving 1 of those cars thru the toll without the transponder in the car at all. My plan was to simply add my new plate and continue that tradition. Those things are so hideous and even though they are a bit smaller it still is an eye sore!
Old 02-11-2019, 06:42 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Originally Posted by Tbone323
In CA I had 1 transponder but added 2 vehicles to my account. Since there are cameras that grab your plates, I have no issues driving 1 of those cars thru the toll without the transponder in the car at all. My plan was to simply add my new plate and continue that tradition. Those things are so hideous and even though they are a bit smaller it still is an eye sore!
So when you drive I-15 north of San Diego alone versus 2 or more, how do they know when to charge you or not if you never have a transponder? Do they have butt sensors to detect if you're alone or not?

Last edited by MH62; 02-11-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
So when you drive I-15 north of San Diego alone versus 2 or more, how do they know when to charge you or not if you never have a transponder? Do they have butt sensors to detect if you're alone or not?
I’m up in OC and use it on highways like 73 or 243 and not in HOV combo lanes. I’ve seen transponders in the past that had a little mode switch you could select how many occupants you had. Not sure how you control that any other way, I don’t think their photo systems are that smart.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Originally Posted by Tbone323

I’m up in OC and use it on highways like 73 or 243 and not in HOV combo lanes. I’ve seen transponders in the past that had a little mode switch you could select how many occupants you had. Not sure how you control that any other way, I don’t think their photo systems are that smart.
I see. The way I handle it in combo lanes is I have to make sure the transponder is removed and shielded in a bag when I have 2 or more occupants in the car. Just not sure how they'll handle this when switching to stickers.

Quick Reply: FasTrak Hidden Mount