AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   First time Audi buyer (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/first-time-audi-buyer-2943156/)

zhu63 02-15-2018 09:26 PM

First time Audi buyer

Hi everyone, just signed up here as I'm considering buying my first Audi. Most likely will be an S5 - coupe or SB still undecided. My last two cars have been Mercedes (W204 C63 and W205 C300) and looking to change things up a bit. I have a number of questions and was hoping I could get some insight before I start discussions with dealerships.

1. Suspension: Is the adaptive suspension able to become softer than the regular suspension or only stiffer? Does it put less stress on the tire/rim vs a regular steel suspension when hitting potholes?

2. How much worse of a ride is it with 19s vs 18s? The 19s look great and the 18s look good too and I plan on getting the adaptive suspension but NJ roads are terrible and if Audi rims bend as easily as Mercedes then I might just stick with the 18s. Are run-flats standard?

3. I'm planning on ordering a 2019 model as soon as they're available. Would this also be around the June/July time with Audi? And how long does it typically take to deliver?

4. Any rumors of new features (I'm guessing mostly small software changes?) on the 2019s vs 2018s?

5. Any recommended dealerships in the North NJ area? Even though front license plates are required in NJ, can I order without front plates?

Thank you and looking forward to joining the club!

-=Hot|Ice=- 02-16-2018 04:50 AM

1. Yes, the adaptive suspension softens up in comfort.

2. With the adaptive suspension, I think the ride on the 19's is awesome. Irons out bumps nicely.

3. Mine took four months from order to deleivery. Ordered September and took delivery in December.

4.Nope. 2019's will be getting the new update so they'll be compatible with Google Earth.

5. N/A.

I switched over from a history of BMW's and a couple Mercedes-Benz's. I'm enjoying the switch. Interior materials are amazing and the ride is fantastic.

buickfunnycar 02-16-2018 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by zhu63 (Post 25111413)
Hi everyone, just signed up here as I'm considering buying my first Audi. Most likely will be an S5 - coupe or SB still undecided. My last two cars have been Mercedes (W204 C63 and W205 C300) and looking to change things up a bit. I have a number of questions and was hoping I could get some insight before I start discussions with dealerships.

1. Suspension: Is the adaptive suspension able to become softer than the regular suspension or only stiffer? Does it put less stress on the tire/rim vs a regular steel suspension when hitting potholes?

2. How much worse of a ride is it with 19s vs 18s? The 19s look great and the 18s look good too and I plan on getting the adaptive suspension but NJ roads are terrible and if Audi rims bend as easily as Mercedes then I might just stick with the 18s. Are run-flats standard?

3. I'm planning on ordering a 2019 model as soon as they're available. Would this also be around the June/July time with Audi? And how long does it typically take to deliver?

4. Any rumors of new features (I'm guessing mostly small software changes?) on the 2019s vs 2018s?

5. Any recommended dealerships in the North NJ area? Even though front license plates are required in NJ, can I order without front plates?

Thank you and looking forward to joining the club!

Get the better looking 19's since the ride quality between them and the 18's is negligible.

Comfort setting provides a very smooth ride.

You can order the license plate filler panel (6W9 on the coupe) to delete it and then order a Sto 'N Sho plate holder for your car:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...hlight=sto+sho

jonpiro 02-16-2018 07:19 AM

And for what its worth the 19" get you the 155 mph speed cap vs. 130 mph on the 18's.

prashanth1337 02-16-2018 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by jonpiro (Post 25111522)
And for what its worth the 19" get you the 155 mph speed cap vs. 130 mph on the 18's.

130mph only if you opt for the all seasons

NorthernMI 02-16-2018 07:40 AM

Speaking of all seasons, very important to note that I think that all of the 19" options are summer tires which should not be driven in snow or even at less than 40 degrees. There is a very recent post on here on the dire consequences of doing so. (S5 totaled)

So if you live where it snows or even gets cold, opting for 19" means also purchasing a set of winter (best) or at least, all season tires and probably also wheels for easy changing.

While I don't have any personal experience and do agree that the 19" look better, I did research this carefully on this forum and some who have experience say the 19"s have a firmer ride which makes sense because they are a lower profile tire. Some also say that they are nosier.

Since I already have a couple of "fun" cars and want the A5 for more of a comfortable tourer, and already have cars with winter wheels and tires, I went with 18" all seasons for quiet and comfort.

Everything is a tradeoff based on what is important to the user and we all have different priorities. :-) Good luck!

AZAudiFan 02-16-2018 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by NorthernMI (Post 25111529)
Speaking of all seasons, very important to note that I think that all of the 19" options are summer tires which should not be driven in snow or even at less than 40 degrees. There is a very recent post on here on the serious consequences of doing so. (S5 totaled)

So if you live where it snows or even gets cold, opting for 19" means also purchasing a set of winter (best) or at least, all season tires and probably also wheels for easy changing.

While I don't have any personal experience and do agree that the 19" look better, I did research this carefully on this forum and some who have experience say the 19"s have a firmer ride which makes sense because they are a lower profile tire. Some also say that they are nosier.

Since I already have a couple of "fun" cars and want the A5 for more of a comfortable tourer, and already have cars with winter wheels and tires, I went with 18" all seasons for quiet and comfort.

Everything is a tradeoff based on what is important to the user and we all have different priorities. :-) Good luck!

I live in the Mid West and asked the dealer to swap out the summer tires for Extreme Conti all seasons; they did it for no charge. I have run the all seasons year round on several of my Audi's, and although a winter tire is best, I find little issue in getting around in the winter.

njspeedfreak 02-16-2018 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by zhu63 (Post 25111413)

I'm also in NJ. My previous S4 had 19" wheels and I found them to be very tough. The problem is the lower profile tires are much more susceptible to sidewall damage from potholes. For that reason I went with the 18" wheels on the S5 even though I think the 19's look far better on the car.

zhu63 02-17-2018 12:52 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Has anyone else been on the fence between a Mercedes equivalent vs Audi? In this case a C43 AMG? What were the factors that made you choose one over the other?

synergize 02-17-2018 04:59 PM

The C43 AMG does not come with a square setup, the front tires are larger then the rears, plus, they are run-flats.