Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Flat-Bottom Steering Wheel Guide....

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single and dual stage steering wheel airbags on US B9 A4/A5

Have the number of steering wheel airbag stages for US Audi A4s and A5s changed over the model generations and years?

I see Alex's note about the TT steering wheels, when applied to B9s, require two stage bags.

But it's hard for me to find other references to what is standard in these B9 models.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2018, 09:40 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 225 Likes on 182 Posts

Part numbers have changed on multiple items throughout B9 production and years, but the number of stages on the airbag has always been the same. The airbag harness has not changed part numbers since production which indicates no change in stages.

There are TT airbags which are single stage which wouldn't work on this application. Most European/RoW cars or parts sources will have those and they will not work with these cars.

Cheers,

Old 04-20-2018, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Alex!

Sorry, I was not being clear: Has the number of stages for A4/A5 steering wheel airbags changed over the years?

For example, did prior generations have single stage bags before the emergence of dual stage? Was there ever a move from single -> dual -> back to more sophisticated single stage variants?

Does anyone know the extent to which US or North American models have had different stage airbags as compared to rest of world? Is any difference in stages due to safety regulations?

In my search for thicker steering wheel options for a B9 A5 I ran into this whole single vs dual stage topic. Since I was unable to find much background on airbag stages, I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the overall topic.

BTW for forum members: I purchased a second hand OEM flat bottom wheel for the A5, but I don't sense much of a thickness difference between it and the original heated round wheel. I was pretty disappointed as compared to the change in thickness and contour I experienced when upgrading a B8 Q5's round wheel to an SQ5 wheel. Consequently, I'm investigating the TT MKIII wheels as an even thicker and more contoured option for the B9 A5. The airbag compatibility is key though. And it's clear from Alex and a few other sources that a dual stage is what is needed for B9s in the US.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2019, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

New lower pricing on almost all B9 steering wheels!

New pricing listed above on each offering in the original post. Click the photo or the link below to few details on the site or order at any time.

If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to let me know here or via PM/email: contact@europrice.us

Cheers!

Old 10-15-2019, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Hey Alex,
As you may know the RS6 Avant will come with real aluminium shift paddles. Would you know if the shift paddles on the RS7/A7 steering wheels can be retrofitted to B9 steering wheels, and thus giving A5/S5/RS5 owners an upgrade path to real aluminium paddles?
Old 10-15-2019, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by belzebutt
Hey Alex,
As you may know the RS6 Avant will come with real aluminium shift paddles. Would you know if the shift paddles on the RS7/A7 steering wheels can be retrofitted to B9 steering wheels, and thus giving A5/S5/RS5 owners an upgrade path to real aluminium paddles?
The same style paddles will also be offered on the RS B9 post-facelift models and are already a listed part. The C8 RS paddles will likely not fit since the standard paddles are not the same for B9 and C8 paddles.

Shift Paddles | RS Extended

These would fit the 3 spoke round or flat-bottom wheels B9 wheels.

Cheers,

Old 10-17-2019, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Alex@Europrice.us
The same style paddles will also be offered on the RS B9 post-facelift models and are already a listed part. The C8 RS paddles will likely not fit since the standard paddles are not the same for B9 and C8 paddles.

Shift Paddles | RS Extended

These would fit the 3 spoke round or flat-bottom wheels B9 wheels.

Cheers,
I guess you might have better pictures later? Are the +/- signs illuminated?
Old 10-17-2019, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

They are illuminated and I do have some sets ordered up for better photography. They are similarly shaped to the extended paddles in the RS models now but they have an open interior. When units have arrived here I will get some better photos taken for you and everyone else interested.

Cheers,

Old 11-12-2019, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex@Europrice.us
They are illuminated and I do have some sets ordered up for better photography. They are similarly shaped to the extended paddles in the RS models now but they have an open interior. When units have arrived here I will get some better photos taken for you and everyone else interested.

Cheers,
any better photos available yet?
Old 11-13-2019, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Xenny
any better photos available yet?
I was curious too. Also what is the Audi part number?

Quick Reply: Flat-Bottom Steering Wheel Guide....