Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Folding mirrors in winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Folding mirrors in winter

Now that old man winter is here, does anybody disable their auto folding side mirrors so it doesn't get jam when it ice up? Is this still worthwhile doing or has technology overcome this problem.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

You don't "disable" the folding action, you just move the selector to the neutral position. I never use the folding position, not sure why one would.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:22 PM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mhblaw
You don't "disable" the folding action, you just move the selector to the neutral position. I never use the folding position, not sure why one would.
Some of us (including me) have the MMI setting to auto fold the mirrors upon locking the vehicle.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:25 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mhblaw

I got into the habit after living in Germany and seeing what happens to mirrors on narrow streets.

But, right.. in the USA it doesn't matter.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:36 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by N8!
I got into the habit after living in Germany and seeing what happens to mirrors on narrow streets.

But, right.. in the USA it doesn't matter.

Living in the most densely populated state in America, I totally disagree with your final post. I have to wonder if, due to the density of NJ, our parking spaces aren’t narrower than other, less densely packed, states.

Attempting to navigate parking lots, packed with cars and huge pickup trucks — with mirrors jutting 10” out from each side of the cab — I always have my mirrors fold in automatically. On more than one occasion I have seen people snap off mirrors trying to navigate dense parking lots — whether out of anger or just not seeing them — so I appreciate the auto-fold feature.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

Living in the most densely populated state in America, I totally disagree with your final post. I have to wonder if, due to the density of NJ, our parking spaces aren’t narrower than other, less densely packed, states.

Attempting to navigate parking lots, packed with cars and huge pickup trucks — with mirrors jutting 10” out from each side of the cab — I always have my mirrors fold in automatically. On more than one occasion I have seen people snap off mirrors trying to navigate dense parking lots — whether out of anger or just not seeing them — so I appreciate the auto-fold feature.
I was going to disable the auto folding mirrors on my Q5, my salesman mentioned that is an easy way to tell if the vehicle is locked. Also on my way to work today I saw a new Audi with a driver door mirror dangling in the wind as a result of being hit by another car while parked on a wide arterial. These are not inexpensive mirrors, folding them is a great idea.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:51 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by katzjamr
I was going to disable the auto folding mirrors on my Q5, my salesman mentioned that is an easy way to tell if the vehicle is locked. Also on my way to work today I saw a new Audi with a driver door mirror dangling in the wind as a result of being hit by another car while parked on a wide arterial. These are not inexpensive mirrors, folding them is a great idea.

That’s great — I never thought of that. Thank You!
Old 11-16-2018, 05:15 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

That is true. I moved from Stuttgart, Germany to Colorado where everything seems really spaced out (streets/parking lots - not just legally stoned people)..

Old 11-16-2018, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Anybody know what happens when the mirror overloads? Does it blow a fuse or does it just stop and reset itself later?
Old 11-16-2018, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misperception

On S5, it’s a misperception that the mirrors stick out far from the body. If you stand at the back of the vehicle and look carefully, you will notice that the mirrors stick out no more than an inch to two inch from the widest part of the body. This is because the mirrors are installed at a narrower part of the body, so even though the mirrors have a certain width to them, the only stick out very slightly past the widest part of the body.

Quick Reply: Folding mirrors in winter