AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Folding mirrors in winter (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/folding-mirrors-winter-2962448/)

The G Man 11-16-2018 04:11 AM

Folding mirrors in winter

Now that old man winter is here, does anybody disable their auto folding side mirrors so it doesn't get jam when it ice up? Is this still worthwhile doing or has technology overcome this problem.

mhblaw 11-16-2018 12:06 PM

You don't "disable" the folding action, you just move the selector to the neutral position. I never use the folding position, not sure why one would.

Sebastian3 11-16-2018 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by mhblaw (Post 25237682)
You don't "disable" the folding action, you just move the selector to the neutral position. I never use the folding position, not sure why one would.

Some of us (including me) have the MMI setting to auto fold the mirrors upon locking the vehicle.

N8! 11-16-2018 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by mhblaw (Post 25237682)

I got into the habit after living in Germany and seeing what happens to mirrors on narrow streets.

But, right.. in the USA it doesn't matter.

Nikon1 11-16-2018 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by N8! (Post 25237689)
I got into the habit after living in Germany and seeing what happens to mirrors on narrow streets.

Living in the most densely populated state in America, I totally disagree with your final post. I have to wonder if, due to the density of NJ, our parking spaces aren’t narrower than other, less densely packed, states.

Attempting to navigate parking lots, packed with cars and huge pickup trucks — with mirrors jutting 10” out from each side of the cab — I always have my mirrors fold in automatically. On more than one occasion I have seen people snap off mirrors trying to navigate dense parking lots — whether out of anger or just not seeing them — so I appreciate the auto-fold feature.

katzjamr 11-16-2018 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Nikon1 (Post 25237726)

Living in the most densely populated state in America, I totally disagree with your final post. I have to wonder if, due to the density of NJ, our parking spaces aren’t narrower than other, less densely packed, states.

Attempting to navigate parking lots, packed with cars and huge pickup trucks — with mirrors jutting 10” out from each side of the cab — I always have my mirrors fold in automatically. On more than one occasion I have seen people snap off mirrors trying to navigate dense parking lots — whether out of anger or just not seeing them — so I appreciate the auto-fold feature.

I was going to disable the auto folding mirrors on my Q5, my salesman mentioned that is an easy way to tell if the vehicle is locked. Also on my way to work today I saw a new Audi with a driver door mirror dangling in the wind as a result of being hit by another car while parked on a wide arterial. These are not inexpensive mirrors, folding them is a great idea.

Nikon1 11-16-2018 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by katzjamr (Post 25237758)
I was going to disable the auto folding mirrors on my Q5, my salesman mentioned that is an easy way to tell if the vehicle is locked. Also on my way to work today I saw a new Audi with a driver door mirror dangling in the wind as a result of being hit by another car while parked on a wide arterial. These are not inexpensive mirrors, folding them is a great idea.

That’s great — I never thought of that. Thank You!

N8! 11-16-2018 05:15 PM

That is true. I moved from Stuttgart, Germany to Colorado where everything seems really spaced out (streets/parking lots - not just legally stoned people)..

The G Man 11-16-2018 05:24 PM

Anybody know what happens when the mirror overloads? Does it blow a fuse or does it just stop and reset itself later?

Gupta_amit 11-16-2018 06:19 PM

Misperception

On S5, it’s a misperception that the mirrors stick out far from the body. If you stand at the back of the vehicle and look carefully, you will notice that the mirrors stick out no more than an inch to two inch from the widest part of the body. This is because the mirrors are installed at a narrower part of the body, so even though the mirrors have a certain width to them, the only stick out very slightly past the widest part of the body.

audidave69 11-17-2018 10:58 PM

I fitted folding mirrors to my car then coded to auto fold when you lock.
I have found that I don’t always want them to fold so you untick the box in MMI butthen tick again to activate.
It’s a pain in the a$$ but I found coding that overcomes this
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/attach...a-jpeg.162050/Now when I lock doors no mirror fold unless I press again or longer hold then they fold, happy now with how they work.

This was done with OBDeleven

JD15 11-18-2018 07:07 AM

With all of the oblivious, obese people and pickup trucks in Texas, having auto-folding mirrors is a great benefit. A guy in a pickup wanted to start a fight with me once at a mall because I stared at his obese wife when she exited their truck and callously smacked my mirror with the door.

ThaneS5 11-18-2018 11:30 AM

In Canada. Folding mirrors were completely reliable last winter. The power windows are completely UNreliable though :mad:

iampraneel 11-18-2018 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by audidave69 (Post 25238220)
I fitted folding mirrors to my car then coded to auto fold when you lock.
I have found that I don’t always want them to fold so you untick the box in MMI butthen tick again to activate.
It’s a pain in the a$$ but I found coding that overcomes this
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/attach...a-jpeg.162050/Now when I lock doors no mirror fold unless I press again or longer hold then they fold, happy now with how they work.

This was done with OBDeleven

Could you please put step by step instructions for this?

audidave69 11-18-2018 01:08 PM

Have a look In 46 and enter the coding above if you have OBDeleven or vcds

-=Hot|Ice=- 11-18-2018 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by audidave69 (Post 25238414)
Have a look In 46 and enter the coding above if you have OBDeleven or vcds

A double click or press lock and hold fold them instead of having them fold instantly, correct? I'll give this a shot tonight.

audidave69 11-18-2018 01:19 PM

Yes but you need to untick fold mirrors in MMI after coding

-=Hot|Ice=- 11-18-2018 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by audidave69 (Post 25238422)
Yes but you need to untick fold mirrors in MMI after coding

Thank you.

iampraneel 11-18-2018 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- (Post 25238419)
A double click or press lock and hold fold them instead of having them fold instantly, correct? I'll give this a shot tonight.

here you go.

Mirror fold via remote control(Press and hold lock button)
Central Module Comfort System
Long Coding
Mirror retraction at comfort close set to “Active” (Also disable mirror fold option in MMI)
Press and hold green check mark to accept

bravo659 11-18-2018 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by N8! (Post 25237689)

I'm in NY better fold those mirrors otherwise is gone.
That's why we fold our mirrors.

bravo659 11-18-2018 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25237478)
Now that old man winter is here, does anybody disable their auto folding side mirrors so it doesn't get jam when it ice up? Is this still worthwhile doing or has technology overcome this problem.

I always fold my mirrors doesn't ice up

The G Man 11-19-2018 04:20 AM

I park my car outside during snow storm sometimes and had a BMW side mirror motor fuse blew many years ago due to ice build up, since then, I have always unfold my mirrors in the winter. Sometimes in ice storms, the car is just simply a block of ice and cannot even get the door open. Have anybody had their mirror still work in those conditions?

JBDinTX 11-20-2018 10:37 AM

I have my auto fold disabled in the MMI. I don’t see the need to have them always folded in. Seems like a lot of wear and tear in the motors. I use the knob to fold them in if I feel like they need to be.

bravo659 11-26-2018 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25238597)
I park my car outside during snow storm sometimes and had a BMW side mirror motor fuse blew many years ago due to ice build up, since then, I have always unfold my mirrors in the winter. Sometimes in ice storms, the car is just simply a block of ice and cannot even get the door open. Have anybody had their mirror still work in those conditions?

my mirrors always work on conditions at 10 degrees I'm by the ocean so it really gets cold in the winter.
I fold them not get hit on the side by people passing by parked cars especially in dept stores

The G Man 11-26-2018 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by bravo659 (Post 25241218)
my mirrors always work on conditions at 10 degrees I'm by the ocean so it really gets cold in the winter.
I fold them not get hit on the side by people passing by parked cars especially in dept stores

Just wondering what part of the country are you at and do you encounter icy conditions where you are?

bravo659 12-03-2018 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25241239)
Just wondering what part of the country are you at and do you encounter icy conditions where you are?

Rockaway Beach, NY

JohnEnglish 12-03-2018 04:09 AM

I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that my driver's side mirror take about 50% longer to fold in and out. I've also had several instances where either one or both mirrors failed to fold in or out. I've tried spraying the hinge mechanism on both mirrors with dry lube but that doesn't seem to have helped.

ArvX147 12-03-2018 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by JBDinTX (Post 25239216)
Seems like a lot of wear and tear in the motors.

No...

on the topic of the OP, Had my car in pretty extreme winter conditions, no ice related function problems for the mirrors.

Verybumpy 02-10-2019 05:48 AM

I usually lock my car once parked in the garage. 2 times now so far this winter after crummy snowy driving conditions I'll hear ice crunching sound when the mirrors fold. They were stuck but they instantly snap free and fold like normal. After seeing this, I don't think they will ever 'freeze' or have issues.

KevinGary 02-10-2019 06:10 AM

My mirrors fold when the car is locked and unlocked. I have never had a problem in ice and snow and I am at 87k miles.