AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Folding mirrors in winter (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/folding-mirrors-winter-2962448/)

bravo659 11-18-2018 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by N8! (Post 25237689)
I got into the habit after living in Germany and seeing what happens to mirrors on narrow streets.

But, right.. in the USA it doesn't matter.

I'm in NY better fold those mirrors otherwise is gone.
That's why we fold our mirrors.

bravo659 11-18-2018 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25237478)
Now that old man winter is here, does anybody disable their auto folding side mirrors so it doesn't get jam when it ice up? Is this still worthwhile doing or has technology overcome this problem.

I always fold my mirrors doesn't ice up

The G Man 11-19-2018 04:20 AM

I park my car outside during snow storm sometimes and had a BMW side mirror motor fuse blew many years ago due to ice build up, since then, I have always unfold my mirrors in the winter. Sometimes in ice storms, the car is just simply a block of ice and cannot even get the door open. Have anybody had their mirror still work in those conditions?

JBDinTX 11-20-2018 10:37 AM

I have my auto fold disabled in the MMI. I donít see the need to have them always folded in. Seems like a lot of wear and tear in the motors. I use the knob to fold them in if I feel like they need to be.

bravo659 11-26-2018 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25238597)
I park my car outside during snow storm sometimes and had a BMW side mirror motor fuse blew many years ago due to ice build up, since then, I have always unfold my mirrors in the winter. Sometimes in ice storms, the car is just simply a block of ice and cannot even get the door open. Have anybody had their mirror still work in those conditions?

my mirrors always work on conditions at 10 degrees I'm by the ocean so it really gets cold in the winter.
I fold them not get hit on the side by people passing by parked cars especially in dept stores

The G Man 11-26-2018 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by bravo659 (Post 25241218)
my mirrors always work on conditions at 10 degrees I'm by the ocean so it really gets cold in the winter.
I fold them not get hit on the side by people passing by parked cars especially in dept stores

Just wondering what part of the country are you at and do you encounter icy conditions where you are?

bravo659 12-03-2018 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by The G Man (Post 25241239)
Just wondering what part of the country are you at and do you encounter icy conditions where you are?

Rockaway Beach, NY

JohnEnglish 12-03-2018 04:09 AM

I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that my driver's side mirror take about 50% longer to fold in and out. I've also had several instances where either one or both mirrors failed to fold in or out. I've tried spraying the hinge mechanism on both mirrors with dry lube but that doesn't seem to have helped.

ArvX147 12-03-2018 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by JBDinTX (Post 25239216)
Seems like a lot of wear and tear in the motors.

No...

on the topic of the OP, Had my car in pretty extreme winter conditions, no ice related function problems for the mirrors.

Verybumpy 02-10-2019 05:48 AM

I usually lock my car once parked in the garage. 2 times now so far this winter after crummy snowy driving conditions I'll hear ice crunching sound when the mirrors fold. They were stuck but they instantly snap free and fold like normal. After seeing this, I don't think they will ever 'freeze' or have issues.