Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

To Front plate or NOT to front plate...that is the question (in CA anyways)

Old 09-28-2018, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To Front plate or NOT to front plate...that is the question (in CA anyways)

I hate, HATE, HATE front license plates especially blocking that beautiful grill on the A5/S5/RS5 but they are required in CA. I just placed my order with the PLATE DELETE option and am considering adding a STO-N-SHO for a backup option should I need to put the plate on in the future. Has anyone tried one of these and have any feedback on them?

https://bigmikesperformanceparts.com/

Old 09-28-2018, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I haven't tried a STO-N-SHO and to me they are kinda pointless. I've driven for years w/o front license plate in CA until one day I got a fix-it ticket when my car was parked on the street at night while I was attending a performance. It was a pain in the rear. First had to order the bracket that allows for mounting the license plate and then drive to San Francisco and flag down a cop to sign off on the ticket and make up an excuse for why I didn't have a license plate before to avoid getting a lecture for him. I told him it fell off a few days earlier, so he just signed and let me go. This was on my previous car and since then I just mount the front license plate. It doesn't really bother me. The point I'm trying to make is that this really only makes sense if you remember to always show your license plate when you park in public. This one looks like it's manual so you'll have to reach under your front every time and release it. You could still get pulled over while driving and having the plate stowed. To me it's all just a little bit too silly. On top of that it will reduce ground clearance and most likely cause you to scrape the plate and STO-N-SHO going over speed bumps, driveways and other inclines. Just my two cents.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I haven't tried a STO-N-SHO and to me they are kinda pointless. I've driven for years w/o front license plate in CA until one day I got a fix-it ticket when my car was parked on the street at night while I was attending a performance. It was a pain in the rear. First had to order the bracket that allows for mounting the license plate and then drive to San Francisco and flag down a cop to sign off on the ticket and make up an excuse for why I didn't have a license plate before to avoid getting a lecture for him. I told him it fell off a few days earlier, so he just signed and let me go. This was on my previous car and since then I just mount the front license plate. It doesn't really bother me. The point I'm trying to make is that this really only makes sense if you remember to always show your license plate when you park in public. This one looks like it's manual so you'll have to reach under your front every time and release it. You could still get pulled over while driving and having the plate stowed. To me it's all just a little bit too silly. On top of that it will reduce ground clearance and most likely cause you to scrape the plate and STO-N-SHO going over speed bumps, driveways and other inclines. Just my two cents.
This happened to me too recently. A no front plate ticket from a PARKING MAID while parked on an SF street. I was in disbelief as I couldn't fathom that they don't have more critical issues to deal with. I learned thereafter that its not uncommon in SF..
Old 09-28-2018, 02:47 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,378 Posts

OP — I have purchased the Sto-N-Show for my S5 as I am getting ready to install the EMD RS style grille. My local LEO’s depend on traffic tickets for revenue so any and all infractions are revenue. I have heard of local people being cited for no front plate.

While I have not actually installed the Sto-N-Show, I have taken time to “dry fit” it to my car and I am certainly impressed with the fit & finish of the piece. One thing that I will be doing is adding a backing plate (of the same size and shape as the bumper mount on the Sto-N-Show) and using bolts and nuts to “sandwich” the bumper between the mounts. It’s probably overkill but since the Sto-N-Show is mounting to the plastic bumper with self-tapping screws, I’d rather play it safe - especially since I will have the bumper off to install the grille.

Whatever your decision, the Sto-N-Show is a quality product.

Last edited by Nikon1; 09-28-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:56 PM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by superswiss

In my case, it’s being installed as the grille I am installing has no provision for a front plate. I’m just leaving the plate mounted full time to prevent any hassles with the constabulary.

As to clearance, you might lose about a quarter of an inch. The plate is seated at the correct angle and is mounted a little higher than the bottom of the bumper and, as it’s mounted in the center (left-to-right) of the bumper the sensors are unaffected.

As as I said in my previous post, the engineering on the mount looks simple but they have done their homework.

As always, YMMV.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

In my case, it’s being installed as the grille I am installing has no provision for a front plate. I’m just leaving the plate mounted full time to prevent any hassles with the constabulary.

As to clearance, you might lose about a quarter of an inch. The plate is seated at the correct angle and is mounted a little higher than the bottom of the bumper and, as it’s mounted in the center (left-to-right) of the bumper the sensors are unaffected.

As as I said in my previous post, the engineering on the mount looks simple but they have done their homework.

As always, YMMV.
Post pics when installed!
Old 09-28-2018, 03:53 PM
Club AutoUnion

About 2 weeks until I install it but I will.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbone323
I hate, HATE, HATE front license plates especially blocking that beautiful grill on the A5/S5/RS5 but they are required in CA. I just placed my order with the PLATE DELETE option and am considering adding a STO-N-SHO for a backup option should I need to put the plate on in the future. Has anyone tried one of these and have any feedback on them?

https://bigmikesperformanceparts.com/
I have the same distaste for front plates as you, live in the same state as well.

If if you pay attention to the cars around you when you drive I’ve noticed that about 20% of them don’t have front plates...at least in San Diego. I’ve never had front plates, eventually get a fix it ticket, signature and $10.

If you’re lucky a couple black zip ties will pass muster. If you’re unlucky zip ties are not acceptable.

it’s actually come in handy one time when I was pulled over for speeding and let go with only a plate ticket.

As as far as your Audi you can negeotiate the plate bracket as part of your deal. That’s what I did with my S5. It came with the plate delete and I got the plate bracket thrown in. Now I have an option if I get a plate ticket.

Good luck.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Like above, in San Diego I have not had a front plate for 15 years and local law enforcement has given zero fu$#s. Down south, I'd chance it.

In that 15 years been pulled over 3 times...lack of front plate never came up.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed the Sto-N-Sho two weeks ago on my car. I like to have the option of throwing on a front plate if I’ve had 2 beers golfing and don’t want the hassle of doing a song and dance test because I was pulled over for no front plate. I never drive illegally with drinking, but I also don’t want the nonsense. Pop it on and go.

Theres also a parkway a mile from my house that I frequent often. If I know I’m driving on that, I’ll pop the plate on for the trip. The cops are swarming that thing and i don’t want the hassle.

90% of the time it’s off though. The Sto-N-Sho is absolutely worth the money IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To Front plate or NOT to front plate...that is the question (in CA anyways)