Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Front plates but don't want the hassle of taking it off and on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
I've never understood the hate for front plates. Everyone wants to be Euro, yet ALL of the Euros have front plates...
I’d gladly run a front plate, if it was euro-like and legal. Plus, it would look better, given it is longer and shorter than a US style plate.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob O
FWIW, my front plate hack ("magnetic vent clips") actually looks as permanent or more as your solution here, while still affording easy removal for things like photos if you want. Always the risk of someone stealing it, I suppose, and while I was able to test it in a lot of weather conditions and road speeds, I suppose it could still blow off without doubling down on the number of magnets I used ... but for $20 and 10 minutes of effort, it's much cleaner and versatile than tape, wire, fastners, etc.

I've never run a front plate (in the US), and lived in multiple states requiring one by law ... including Texas. In fact, I was twice stopped for speeding in the Austin area back in the early 2000s in my B5 S4 Avant with no front plate and the cops didn't say anything. Here in OR, the cops won't bother pulling someone over for a no-front-plate violation but it's heavily enforced by parking patrols. I live on the edge of downtown Portland and am in the city daily, where metered parking is a way of life. After four tickets over just a couple months, including one where the plate was displayed in the front window, I decided it was time for a solution. So I run with no plate except when parked at a meter and have had no issues since.
Parking maids giving tickets for no plates? Is that an OR thing?
Old 03-19-2019, 03:30 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx

I’d gladly run a front plate, if it was euro-like and legal. Plus, it would look better, given it is longer and shorter than a US style plate.
Narrower?

— John
Old 03-19-2019, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

Narrower?

— John
sure, why not
Old 03-19-2019, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
I've never understood the hate for front plates. Everyone wants to be Euro, yet ALL of the Euros have front plates...
I don't want any front plates euro or Yankees style. Have you seen plates on the front of the new alfas or the last gen RX7?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I run dark smoke plate cover for my black car. It really does wonders to the look of the car.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob O
FWIW, my front plate hack ("magnetic vent clips") actually looks as permanent or more as your solution here, while still affording easy removal for things like photos if you want. Always the risk of someone stealing it, I suppose, and while I was able to test it in a lot of weather conditions and road speeds, I suppose it could still blow off without doubling down on the number of magnets I used ... but for $20 and 10 minutes of effort, it's much cleaner and versatile than tape, wire, fastners,
Thanks, already know of your hack and it is a great idea for a few and that's why I mentioned it,

but again, offering the fellow owners of another alternative since some of us have open stretches of road here where we can hit 120 and since it's flat, gusts of wind are common and I doubt the magnets can hold against both forces. Plus the title states the hassle of taking it off and on. I got a lot on my mind and I didn't want the plate to be another thing to think about as I drive off and as I fly through the desolate stretch of open road the plate flies off and cuts through the paint and then that's when I remember, oh yeah, the plate WAS on the grill. Or I forgot to put the grill on and Johnny Law in the city makes you add to the donut funds.

If the goal is to have the plates on but still clearly have the quattro emblem show, then this one method. I don't care about the plates showing in my pictures. That is the speedo on a desolate road in NorTex. And yes, the county constables generally leave you alone so long as you're not swerving like an idiot and the conditions are clear.

Last edited by skubeeraw; 03-19-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:41 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I understand the aesthetics quandary. It does make me wonder though, why does Audi trot out cars, even brand new models at their launches, with license plates on them? Is it because they are required in most places? I'm not a FAN of the look, honestly I'd prefer none as well, but where I live they are required, and it's a points ticket. I also try to avoid any reason to invite our local fuzz to a roadside chat, so I run the plate.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

+1. Me too. My exact situation.