Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Going from crossover to A5 SB

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decided to take some time out of work to answer you all since I got such a great response!

Originally Posted by duffer5
Honestly it is a big difference and I am not that tall. 5'8 on a good day. This car sits low. But I have easily gotten used to it. Also the sitting position is a bit different, more of a cockpit feeling with both legs almost fully extended where in a SUV your left leg typically is at an almost 90* bend due to the space.

I have gotten use to both the entry / exit difference and the seating difference. But again I am short.

Richard
We're in the same boat... I'm 5'9 and change. I'll have to wait and see when I test drive if the driving style being that low to the ground is something I can get used to after driving SUVs forever.

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
I also took the same route, after 10+ years driving SUVs... I had a MB 350GL (7 seater) and went with the Allroad which is significantly smaller in terms of trunk cargo capacity but infinitely more fun to drive and more practical... I'm also getting a S5 SB (arriving tomorrow in the port). The only downside for me is the lack of proper towing both in the Allroad and A/S 5s... you may need to update your (bike) rack to one that does not need to connect with the tow (roof or trunk rack).
We use a roof mounted Thule rack right now, so that won't be an issue... The rack secures to the front fork of the bike, so we would just throw the front wheels in the trunk. I don't really see myself needing to tow anything in the future, so that's not a huge issue either.

Thanks for responding!

Originally Posted by duffer5
This is a good point, it is less than the A4 but by how much I am not sure. For me I have no intent of going off road and if there is enough snow on the ground to impact my ground clearance that will be a signal enough for me to be off the roads. We live in New England and rarely have had to drive through more than 3 -5 inches of snow since most roads are plowed quickly during and after a snow storm.
We're pretty good in Upstate NY too... One thing I will miss (if the A5 can't do it) is literally not having to shovel with my Jeep. Make enough space to get in the driver's side and then put the car in "snow" and drive off. I've done that even with a foot or 2 of snow around the car haha

Originally Posted by A5SB
I went from a BMW x3 to A5SB

No regrets at all. It's all lifestyle. Didn't really need all that mass around me and love the connection to the car. The height is never an issue, only when I am stuck with other big as SUV's all around me blocking everything. You will love the intimacy you feel with this car vs an SUV
That's really what I'm thinking... As long as the utility of the car is similar to the SUV, I don't see a need to have a car of that size.

We'll see... I'm going to start looking within the next couple months, but wanted to try and do as much research as possible before I went and started looking.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I test drove the q5 in may and saw a5 SB in lot and was impressed

I drive both again and I am seriously leaning towards SB
Old 08-03-2017, 12:49 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

My daily driver is an FJ Cruiser 4x4. I am 6'4" w/a 36" inseam and i don't find the A5 difficult to get in or out. Sure, It's low compared to the FJ (and lower than my wife's MINI even) but nothing unduly noticeable.

The A5 is the first car I've owned since my '72 Gran Torino that I had in high school (I've since owned Toyota trucks and SUVs) and I am really enjoying just how different it is.

Our go-to touring vehicle for trips etc is the A5 (as long as the terrain allows for it).
Old 08-03-2017, 03:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came from a string of crossovers (Ford Edge and Chevy Equinox). I so missed driving something with reasonable handling. Wanted AWD for winter trips to Tahoe and I am totally happy. It is lower of course. I am 6"0 and 210# and have no issues with getting in and out. The back seat headroom is something you need to think about if you have tall riders back there. Not really a concern for me as I am always at the helm. Will be looking for a good hitch bike rack solution when more are available. Good luck making the choice. I drove the Q5 and my A5 and that was the deciding factor for me.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by N8!
My daily driver is an FJ Cruiser 4x4. I am 6'4" w/a 36" inseam and i don't find the A5 difficult to get in or out. Sure, It's low compared to the FJ (and lower than my wife's MINI even) but nothing unduly noticeable.

The A5 is the first car I've owned since my '72 Gran Torino that I had in high school (I've since owned Toyota trucks and SUVs) and I am really enjoying just how different it is.

Our go-to touring vehicle for trips etc is the A5 (as long as the terrain allows for it).
I'm 5'9 and change, so I doubt it will be difficult for me to get in and out of the car... The only thing that still happens with me when we take the SO's car is that I almost plop into the seat when getting in. I'm sure it would happen less if we took SO's car more places, but we usually take mine since we're usually hauling stuff around.

I really do like the idea of having a sedan with coupe styling and SUV practicality... I think as of right now, it's the SB in front of the Q5, but I'll test drive both when I go and look.

Originally Posted by norcalpatsfan
I came from a string of crossovers (Ford Edge and Chevy Equinox). I so missed driving something with reasonable handling. Wanted AWD for winter trips to Tahoe and I am totally happy. It is lower of course. I am 6"0 and 210# and have no issues with getting in and out. The back seat headroom is something you need to think about if you have tall riders back there. Not really a concern for me as I am always at the helm. Will be looking for a good hitch bike rack solution when more are available. Good luck making the choice. I drove the Q5 and my A5 and that was the deciding factor for me.
Yeah, I have a couple taller friends, but worst case scenario, they can sit up front and SO can sit in the back with my friend's wife or gf.

The only thing I'm worried about driving the sedan is the winter, but then again millions of people do it around here and either their AWD system is inferior to quattro or the car doesn't have AWD at all, so I don't know what's really holding me back haha
Old 08-04-2017, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A5SB
I went from a BMW x3 to A5SB

No regrets at all. It's all lifestyle. Didn't really need all that mass around me and love the connection to the car. The height is never an issue, only when I am stuck with other big as SUV's all around me blocking everything. You will love the intimacy you feel with this car vs an SUV
Have to agree with this. It perfectly sums up what i am thinking. I went from 2015 Jeep Cherokee and 2012 Kia Sportage to the 2018 A5 SB and haven't regretted it one bit. Just stay away from being surrounded by SUVs and you will be fine
Old 08-04-2017, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bluaudi
Have to agree with this. It perfectly sums up what i am thinking. I went from 2015 Jeep Cherokee and 2012 Kia Sportage to the 2018 A5 SB and haven't regretted it one bit. Just stay away from being surrounded by SUVs and you will be fine
Woah, you're like my new car doppelganger! How long did it take you to adjust to the ride height after being in a Cherokee? The Cherokee isn't really THAT high, so I would think the time to get used to it wouldn't be that bad.

How do you like the SB in terms of cargo space? From the looks, it has comparable space to the Cherokee... The opening may not be as big, but the space itself looks to be comparable.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NYSea
Woah, you're like my new car doppelganger! How long did it take you to adjust to the ride height after being in a Cherokee? The Cherokee isn't really THAT high, so I would think the time to get used to it wouldn't be that bad.

How do you like the SB in terms of cargo space? From the looks, it has comparable space to the Cherokee... The opening may not be as big, but the space itself looks to be comparable.
Honestly, I only tell the difference when i am sitting in a traffic and there is an SUV next to me HAHAHAHA

The cargo space is reaaaaally nice and i would say its comparable to my Jeep if not slightly bigger. I'll be putting my snowboard and gear in it come this winter so will see how it compares to the Jeep.

I got in the Jeep last night (mainly for the dogs as they aren't allowed in the A5) for the first time since i got the A5 and i didn't miss the jeep as much as i thought i would of. Once you figure out your own way of getting down into the A5 down packed you will not miss the SUV HAHAHAHA.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bluaudi
Honestly, I only tell the difference when i am sitting in a traffic and there is an SUV next to me HAHAHAHA

The cargo space is reaaaaally nice and i would say its comparable to my Jeep if not slightly bigger. I'll be putting my snowboard and gear in it come this winter so will see how it compares to the Jeep.

I got in the Jeep last night (mainly for the dogs as they aren't allowed in the A5) for the first time since i got the A5 and i didn't miss the jeep as much as i thought i would of. Once you figure out your own way of getting down into the A5 down packed you will not miss the SUV HAHAHAHA.
That's pretty encouraging... My gf and I ski/snowboard as well, but if I remember correctly, you can fold down just the middle seat in the back. That would be great just in case we brought a couple friends... The only way you could do that in the Jeep is fold down the left seat and have people sit next to one another on the right side of the back seat.

I'm talking myself into the SB more and more... I posted in the other thread, but the car I'm looking at has a MSRP of $50,610. I was hoping to get the MSRP down to $46k-ish and then with my trade and a down payment hopefully only have to take a loan out for $20k.

Did you ever ask for an offer for the Cherokee when you were negotiating? Just wondering what kind of offers are out there from dealers. You can PM me if you don't want to answer in thread.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NYSea
That's pretty encouraging... My gf and I ski/snowboard as well, but if I remember correctly, you can fold down just the middle seat in the back. That would be great just in case we brought a couple friends... The only way you could do that in the Jeep is fold down the left seat and have people sit next to one another on the right side of the back seat.

I'm talking myself into the SB more and more... I posted in the other thread, but the car I'm looking at has a MSRP of $50,610. I was hoping to get the MSRP down to $46k-ish and then with my trade and a down payment hopefully only have to take a loan out for $20k.

Did you ever ask for an offer for the Cherokee when you were negotiating? Just wondering what kind of offers are out there from dealers. You can PM me if you don't want to answer in thread.

Yeah you should get a good offer with the Jeep. We didn't because the Jeep is my wife's and I am the one that needed the new vehicle. You should be able to get a good price for it. Check a few Audi dealerships around to see which would give you the best deal. Don't settle for the first one unless you have an idea what they will offer.

TRUST ME - THEY HAVE WIGGLE ROOM in the pricing especially if they want you to sign that day! We got them to come down a bit from our first price.

Quick Reply: Going from crossover to A5 SB