Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

My A5 Trackday

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2021, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My A5 Trackday

Took my A5 S-line to VIR last week and had a great time. It was a one day Trackdaze event and I registered in the Intermediate Solo group along with thirty or so others including mostly Vettes, Porsches, BMWs, Camaros, Mustangs, etc.. I was the only Audi in the paddock out of 125+ cars. It was my first track time after an absence of over two years. Last time out I was driving a C7 Grandsport so I knew this would be a different experience - slower with lots of pointing-by of faster cars but good fun nonetheless.

My A5 is completely stock except for high-temp brake fluid. S-line pkg has the sport suspension and 19inch wheels. Alignment was -1.5 front -1.4 rear camber.

Some Observations:

=Though my car's handling feels well balanced on the mountain roads I like to drive, while cornering at the limit on track it understeers quite a bit. No real surprise at 3700+lbs split 55/45. Also, there is a lot of body lean which makes it necessary to tightly grip the steering wheel to stay upright in the seat. This makes it difficult to adjust the line while turning and to use the too small shifter paddles to downshift. Seats are lacking in lateral support.

=The Bridgestone 255 S001s had good grip and wore pretty evenly running about 39psi hot.

=The stock brakes were better than expected and faded only slightly by the end of the 30min sessions braking at about 9/10ths. I may try a higher peformance pad if I can find one that doesn't squeak constantly on the street.

=Ran in Dynamic mode with the ESC in Sport and it was unobtrusive except for an instance of me getting out of shape during the first session when it kept me on the track.

=Motor ran cooler than expected. Drove at max throttle most of each 3.2 mile lap with trans in manual mode auto upshifting at redline. Oil stayed below 240 and coolant one mark over halfway at session end. Did not notice any drop in power from increased IATs. Ambient temps were 55-65 deg. so conditions were good. Added 8oz oil when I got home.

Though I never expected to track this car I'm glad I did. Overall, I was pleased with its performance. In fact, I've decided I will develop it to perform better on track if that can be done without compromising road comfort too much. Front and rear swaybars will be the first step to reduce body roll and understeer. If that goes well, I will likely install some better performing shock absorbers to tighten up overall suspension movement. Bilstein B6 or B8 Performance shocks look interesting.

I'll post an update after my next event in a month or so.
The following 3 users liked this post by TCMA5SB:
DCB1951 (03-28-2021), garberfc (03-28-2021), Nikon1 (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you get passed by everyone? I tracked my '09 TTS a few times with a similar output 2.0l and that little bugger did surprisingly well. Drove the wheels off it and my only real complaint was the understeer also.
The RS models really improve on this even with the crappy Audi weight distribution with better roll control and larger front tire grip.
Old 03-28-2021, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Got passed by many but not all. First session I started towards the back of the group to acclimate myself and the car to being on track. I passed 5 or 6 cars before the fast guys started coming through. Didn't mind being slower but it made it harder to get in a rhythm with my eyes in the mirror. Next two sessions started mid group and that was better. Most of the guys there were driving track prepped higher horsepower cars and I've have considered swapping my A5 for a Camaro SS 1LE one of the more fun track ready cars available. I may end up doing that but this year I'm going to have fun getting what I can from the A5. I'm sure there's at least 5 seconds available with a better set up and a clean lap.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Over the past 15 years I have tracked a Mk1 TT ( some mods) and a Cayman S. ( only 3 years, approx 15 days in the Cayman). The TT is getting old and it’s track days are about done without an extensive rebuild. Have never tracked my S5 ( manual trans with Sport Diff) but am considering it this year. Have been to VIR 4 times over the years. Great track. Your experience is therefore very interesting. May I ask what your lap times were? ( mine approx 2’25” in TT, 2’20” in Cayman S)
Old 03-28-2021, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

VIR is great and I live just 90min from the track. While I was there walking the pits a guy told me about the app Track Addict which I downloaded and used in my last session. Best lap was 2:25 with traffic. I'm pretty sure I can get down to 2:20 with more seat time, a better set up and a clean lap even though the A5 has a 130mph limiter. Used to run 2:07 in my C7 Grandsport which was a fantastic track car.
':
Old 03-28-2021, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by TCMA5SB
VIR is great and I live just 90min from the track. While I was there walking the pits a guy told me about the app Track Addict which I downloaded and used in my last session. Best lap was 2:25 with traffic. I'm pretty sure I can get down to 2:20 with more seat time, a better set up and a clean lap even though the A5 has a 130mph limiter. Used to run 2:07 in my C7 Grandsport which was a fantastic track car.
':
Thanks. That’s really impressive on street tires. Surprised the limiter came into play. My Cayman would see 130+ cresting the back stretch hill but the TT only sees 123 or so as I recall. I’m 10 minutes from Barber, 3 hrs from Road Atlanta and AMP. Still a trip to VIR is always a treat. Running in a group where you are mid pack is enjoyable. Faster cars to chase, being aware of mirrors, good training for us all. Even 66 year olds like me.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I only got to 125 on the back straight but I think 130 it may be possible with a better exit from Oaktree/T12 and and later braking into T14. Drafting faster cars helps.
Would love to drive Barber and hope to make it there sometime. I've only been once a spectator at the Vintage Festival in October. Helluva facility and museum.