Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Google Maps for CarPlay In iOS 12 Available Now

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 11:14 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default Google Maps for CarPlay In iOS 12 Available Now

Google Maps for CarPlay in iOS 12 is now available with version 5.0 out now on the App Store. Apple released iOS 12 just yesterday which enables third party maps apps to offer their own mapping data for CarPlay.

Google-owned Waze is also bringing CarPlay support in an upcoming update. Prior to today, Apple’s infotainment feature only supported Apple Maps when viewing mapping data from the iPhone on the built-in screen in newer cars.

Google Maps on CarPlay lacks voice control with Siri, but within the Google Maps app is Google-powered voice search. The navigation app also works with your Google account so you can have saved addresses like work and home.

For drivers, most importantly, Google Maps for CarPlay gives iPhone users the option to safely use Google’s navigation app in the car if Apple Maps doesn’t provide the best data for a given location. Customers now have choice with mapping data when using CarPlay which is great to see.

Link To Full Article & Graphics

Old 09-18-2018, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I updated my phone to IOS 12 and updated the Google Maps app. But I still don't see it as an option in the general/carplay settings menu on my phone, so I can't select it. Any ideas?
Old 09-18-2018, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by thracer
I updated my phone to IOS 12 and updated the Google Maps app. But I still don't see it as an option in the general/carplay settings menu on my phone, so I can't select it. Any ideas?
Did you scroll over to page 2 of the Carplay screen under the settings? Mine's working.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I did scroll over to page 2 but I'm still not seeing any new apps. But I am at my desk instead of in my car, would that make a difference?
Old 09-18-2018, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I did scroll over to page 2 but I'm still not seeing any new apps. But I am at my desk instead of in my car, would that make a difference?
I had to play around with the Google Maps app a bit before it showed up, but I don't know what really triggered it. I picked a destination, had it calculate a route, and eventually it did finally end up on the second page when I went into Settings/General/CarPlay. I was not in my car, so that's not it.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So just to be clear, when you said it ended up on the second page, you do you really mean it was in the little white area below the apps? And then you press the + sign to add it to the second page?

Either way I'm having no luck.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

So just to be clear, when you said it ended up on the second page, you do you really mean it was in the little white area below the apps? And then you press the + sign to add it to the second page?

Either way I'm having no luck.
I mean this second page (see the black and white dots on the bottom). Swipe left to get to it.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah, not showing up for me in either place. But thanks for the help!
Old 09-18-2018, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

But now I'm curious, how did you get What's App and CBS News to show up in the white area? I don't see those on mine anywhere and maybe I need to do the same thing to get those.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

For me, the update for Google Maps was not listed among the available updates in the App Store, but when I searched 'Google Maps' the new version 5.0.3001 came up as an update. Once installed all worked great. Here it is with Waze (test version) on my 2017 S3. Need to be sure you have IOS 12. This has been a good week for increased functionally of Carplay.

Quick Reply: Google Maps for CarPlay In iOS 12 Available Now