Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Google Maps for CarPlay In iOS 12 Available Now

Old 09-20-2018, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedKloud
When using Google Maps on Car Play... can you use the phone to enter address etc?
CarPlay just acts as a second screen for your phone, so this should work.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedKloud
When using Google Maps on Car Play... can you use the phone to enter address etc?
Yes!
Old 09-20-2018, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dereitz
CarPlay just acts as a second screen for your phone, so this should work.
Sort of, but it's not like a mirrored or second independent display, and that's part of what makes it kind of annoying to me. Selecting apps on the CarPlay display also controls the phone (launching the app that you selected), but not always to display the same content, and you can't adjust what the phone shows. If you hit the home button or swipe up on the phone, it bounces you out of the current activity on the CarPlay display, rather than letting you control to see the map while you do something else on your phone. Navigation does continue to run in the background and the phone shows a list of upcoming turns, but you can't go change the Google Maps settings, for instance, without exiting navigation. It has a lot of promise, but it still seems clunky to me. I really wish that the phone and CarPlay screens could be controlled completely independently.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon63

Agreed - a touchscreen in addition to (NOT replacing) would be nice - but not really a big deal as both Google Maps and Waze (I’m in the beta) have voice control.

One cool thing is that I can run Google Maps and the MMI Nav at the same time. So I can have Google Maps on the main MMI screen and Audi NAV with Google Overlay in the virtual cockpit and turn info from Audi Nav in the HUD.

Google Maps also runs even a little smoother on the main screen than the MMI Google overlay (very slight jitter on that). Google Maps does have one slight graphic glitch - some street names seem to “shimmer” a little due to smaller font sizes.
BTW, you can't run Waze and MMI Nav at the same time like you can with Google Maps - with Waze running on MMI screen, you just get the compass display in the virtual cockpit.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Celtic Diver
BTW, you can't run Waze and MMI Nav at the same time like you can with Google Maps - with Waze running on MMI screen, you just get the compass display in the virtual cockpit.
To clarify, you can't run Waze navigation on the MMI screen and the map display in the virtual cockpit at the same time. You can view Waze on the MMI screen while displaying the map in the virtual cockpit.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by juicebox098
To clarify, you can't run Waze navigation on the MMI screen and the map display in the virtual cockpit at the same time. You can view Waze on the MMI screen while displaying the map in the virtual cockpit.
Maybe - will have to check that? Also, Waze alerts are not working - you see the police icons on the road, but no audible or visual warning is popping up in CarPlay.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe - will have to check that? Also, Waze alerts are not working - you see the police icons on the road, but no audible or visual warning is popping up in CarPlay.
You may have to play around with the Waze options on the phone. I get the audible alerts in CarPlay.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

check that - just got a police alert - seems inconsistent though!