Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Hand Washing Car, How Long?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am an ONR convert as well. However, I generally run in through the local touchless just prior as well to get any heavy soil/grit off. I'm in TX as well with hard water and it appears my outside hose is pre-softener, and with our typical heat really can't get away with using that for a pre-rinse w/o getting lots of water spots. Not including the time running it through the touchless first, the ONR + detail spray routine takes about an hour. Also have ceramic - Opticoat Pro Plus, and I do believe that helps a bit.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

2 hours. The fastest I've done it in was 1 hour and 30 minutes because I was trying to beat a thunderstorm rolling in.

My technique is this: three buckets, 2 for the paint (one clean water, one soap water), and 1 for the wheels. I start with the wheels first, which takes a good portion of time (30-45 minutes) thanks to multi-spoke wheels. After that, I get to work on the actual car itself. Once I am finished, I remove the water nozzle off my hose and let the water run down the vehicle. This pools all the water beads down the vehicle minimizing chance of waterspotting especially in Texas, and then the leaf blower comes out to dry the vehicle and blow the standing water in the vents. I finish drying the vehicle with a damp microfiber towel and quick wax as a booster to the sealant/wax on my vehicle already or quick detailer (ONR) if I will be waxing or paint correcting the vehicle.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I have always hand washed** my cars and have become an ONR addict.

FREEZING AND BELOW weather, i.e. no hose. Not having a heated garage, I find that I can use ONR in the 20's with two buckets method using warm water and engine heat retained in garage (plus small symbolic $20 heater).
ABOVE FREEZING and hose available. Alternate between Optimum's regular wash and ONR, but will sometimes do a quick 'once over' with ONR (after regular wash) as it seems to leave a microscopic film of hydrophobic joy on the car. Since hose available, use Sonax wheel cleaner.

Time: if cars relatively clean, can do both my and my wife's cars in less than an hour. This is in part due to Xpel and Opticoat coatings and, my incredible and unparalleled expertise gained over the years If cars are filthy, can take a bit longer. Doing the wheels really slows me down. I also use a water blade, so drying time is minimal.

QUESTION for the forum: I've read elsewhere that people use the Worx Hydroshot portable power cleaner, a battery powered sprayer that would allow one to use buckets of warm water (when hose not available in freezing weather). Has anyone had experience with this? This would allow me to really do my wheels when it is below freezing.

** hand washing resulted in application Xpel as one really notices all the little rock chips when wash by hand
Old 03-17-2019, 08:24 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Richr
No coatings here aside from Maguiar's Hybrid Ceramic after each wash. The entire process , Sonax and wash wheels, foam cannon wash, rinse, clay mit, rinse, polish, interior detail, vacuum, usually takes about 3.5 hours. And since every time I do this I am also compelled to do the GF's TT-S, we are looking at a full day. :)

I continue to tell my wife, “The Audi is mine / The RDX is yours. It’s your responsibility to maintain your car and I’ll maintain mine.”

Having said that, for Christmas every year I give her a $250 gift card to a local car wash that I trust. But she makes her own service appointments with our Acura dealer.

Sounds tough but I’m pretty **** about upkeep and cleanliness of my vehicles. Her — not anywhere near my level but she’s not a slob. But she has never hand washed a car in her life.

It works for us but it may not work for anyone else.

— John
Old 03-17-2019, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you guys only hand wash and do not use automatic car wash, How do you guys wash the under carridge of your cars?
Old 03-17-2019, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
If you guys only hand wash and do not use automatic car wash, How do you guys wash the under carridge of your cars?
sprinkler
Old 03-17-2019, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
It rains a lot here ....winter is a problem, although there are plenty of 'heat waves' in Winter when it rains...
Old 03-17-2019, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

I use this, it’s a small sprinkler head
Old 03-17-2019, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

About 8 inches, from wrist to tip of middle finger.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 371 Likes on 230 Posts

It takes me about and hour and a half to hand wash and towel dry the car including the tires and rims. I keep the hose out and coiled 10 feet from where I wash the car. I've been using a one bucket method with a grit guard, but plan to incorporate a second. I wash the rims last as that really contaminates the water....

I have a pressure washer and have thought about getting a foam cannon to use as a pre-wash. I was a little surprised to see what percentage on this forum/thread were using one. I thought they were more for detailers...

Last edited by garberfc; 03-17-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Hand Washing Car, How Long?