Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Having a hard time deciding between Premium Plus and Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 07:46 AM
HA / KC / EЯ

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 3cat
@ hevnsnt , From what I have read there are actually different LED modules in the Prestige for the RGB lights vs the PP. There was discussion somewhere on the forum regarding this matter, sorry I don't recall the thread.
Aww man that is too bad, but thanks for the info!
Old 11-17-2017, 07:53 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hevnsnt
Hey all, I know, I know. This will ultimately end up being my decision, but I could use someone who is more knowledgeable about Audi to help me out. Ok, first and foremost this will be my first Audi. I am moving from the kid getter Honda Pilot, and I have never had a "sedan" so this is a big move for me.

I have landed on my perfect car: A 2018 Audi A5

But I am having some issues landing on what trim. Right now I am leaning to the Prestige for the following reasons:
  • I am very interested in the drivers assist package. But I don't drive very far. I have a 20 minute drive to work and back, and mostly take my wife's mini-van on the weekends. But, With all the cars moving to "Autonomous Driving" I think it might be a mistake not to get these features, perhaps in the short future (~5y) some startup will release self-driving add-on as long as you have lane-assist type features. (looking at something like comma.ai) Question: Does the Prestige come with additional cameras/radar/sensors that do NOT come with the PP? It seems like it must because you only get the top down view, and Drives Assist package opportunity on the Prestige.
  • I like the heads up display, but obviously it is a toy and not something I absolutely need.
  • I like the color changing interior of the prestige. However, I am a very "technical minded" person, and I was wondering if Audi put RGB LEDs in the PP, but has them disabled in software. Can you hack your car to get RGB in the PP trim?
So here is the kicker. I have found a NEW Premium Plus in the color that I want, with all the features I want without the Prestige & Drivers assist. I have also found a used 2018 Prestige w/drivers assist, in a color I dont mind, but with a trim color I don't like. They are exactly the same price. My question is, I keep reading that the Premium Plus is the more in demand trim level, and I wonder why people don't want the drivers assistance package? Can anyone talk me down to the PP?

Thanks, I can't wait to be an Audi owner!
Here's my thoughts from a guy who never owned an Audi until I ordered and purchased a 2018 A5 Sportback S-Line w/Prestige trim.

I chose the A5 over the S5 because, aside from the Magma interior color option, the performance gain with the V6 over the 4-cylinder wasn't worth the $12K+ cost. The A5 gives me all the performance I desire but with good gas mileage (36+ mpg).

Initially I was thought the Premium+ A5 was the best bang for the buck - having no experience with, nor interest in, HUD or DAP, I saw these items as expensive useless options.

BUT - I absolutely disliked (hated really) the look of the front end of A5 without the DAP sensors in the black recesses at the bottom corners of the bumper. To my eye the front end without DAP sensors looked unfinished/bland because the black space wasn't used for anything.

So, I ran the numbers and decided I would spend a few bucks more and go for DAP, for really no other reason other than appearance sake. I was unable to test drive an A5SB before I placed my order back in March, so I had no idea what to expect.

Fast Forward to today.... I can say that of all the options on my A5SB, the DAP & HUD are by far my favorite and most utilized options. I cant imagine this car without this technology and I find that it makes the driving experience incredibly pleasurable.

I would say that if you don't have experience with this tech then you will not miss it. But once you experience it, there is no going back.

Last edited by N8!; 11-17-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that I have had a couple months with DAP in my car, I would never be without it! We didn't get it in the SQ5 and wish we had. Go for a loaded up Prestige!
Old 11-17-2017, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

I agree with many others here - the HUD is one of those small features that you can't figure out how you lived without before. I've hit the age where reading glasses are an unfortunate necessity for seeing things clearly that are within arms length, and that includes the dashboard. But the way the HUD display is projected, it looks like it's floating somewhere out over the hood of the car. So that means I can still see it clearly without readers on and it means I don't have to take my eyes off the road, then look down, squint and try to refocus on the dash to know how fast I'm going.

The 360 degree camera and the virtual top down view is certainly nice to have too, it really helps when pulling into tight parking spots. Makes it vary easy to know where the curbs and other cars are.

I didn't opt for the DAP package, but after reading many of the reviews here, I sort of wish I had. It's still probably something I wouldn't use with regularity, but it would be nice to know it's there if I wanted to use it.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

The only thing you get for $12k extra in the S5 is 2 more cylinders and a red interior? you gotta be kidding me
Old 11-17-2017, 10:52 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
The only thing you get for $12k extra in the S5 is 2 more cylinders and a red interior? you gotta be kidding me
I know, huh
Old 11-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audphile
Since you're buying and plan on keeping the car for along time I would suggest you get the S5 Sportback Prestige. That way, a few years down the road, you don't say to yourself; Ah...I should've, would've, could've had it all.
I've found that I never regret getting the bells and whistles but if I don't I usually do.
This. If you're going to keep the car for 10+ years why not wait a few months and watch for the exact car you're looking for? That way you get everything you want.

I was almost in the same boat as you, I really wanted the Prestige but I was leasing. The deal I got on my P+ A5 compared to the Prestige was huge, I went with the P+ as the Prestige would've been another $100 a month.

I can't tell you how awesome this car is...even at the P+ trim level, it's unbelievable.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:17 PM
HA / KC / EЯ

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I really appreciate everything you have shared with me! Prestige w/DAP it is!
Old 11-19-2017, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely enjoying the Prestige. HUD w/ DAP is top feature. With the tough visibility the 360 cameras/sensors are great. Interior lighting is an eye catcher for sure.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Changed my order from a Prestige to a PP. HUD and 360 camera's and being able to change the colors inside the car were great on the car I tested. Not worth an extra $40/month in my opinion.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 11-20-2017 at 05:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Having a hard time deciding between Premium Plus and Prestige