Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Having a hard time deciding between Premium Plus and Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hevnsnt
Hey all, I know, I know. This will ultimately end up being my decision, but I could use someone who is more knowledgeable about Audi to help me out. Ok, first and foremost this will be my first Audi. I am moving from the kid getter Honda Pilot, and I have never had a "sedan" so this is a big move for me.

I have landed on my perfect car: A 2018 Audi A5

But I am having some issues landing on what trim. Right now I am leaning to the Prestige for the following reasons:
  • I am very interested in the drivers assist package. But I don't drive very far. I have a 20 minute drive to work and back, and mostly take my wife's mini-van on the weekends. But, With all the cars moving to "Autonomous Driving" I think it might be a mistake not to get these features, perhaps in the short future (~5y) some startup will release self-driving add-on as long as you have lane-assist type features. (looking at something like comma.ai) Question: Does the Prestige come with additional cameras/radar/sensors that do NOT come with the PP? It seems like it must because you only get the top down view, and Drives Assist package opportunity on the Prestige.
  • I like the heads up display, but obviously it is a toy and not something I absolutely need.
  • I like the color changing interior of the prestige. However, I am a very "technical minded" person, and I was wondering if Audi put RGB LEDs in the PP, but has them disabled in software. Can you hack your car to get RGB in the PP trim?
So here is the kicker. I have found a NEW Premium Plus in the color that I want, with all the features I want without the Prestige & Drivers assist. I have also found a used 2018 Prestige w/drivers assist, in a color I dont mind, but with a trim color I don't like. They are exactly the same price. My question is, I keep reading that the Premium Plus is the more in demand trim level, and I wonder why people don't want the drivers assistance package? Can anyone talk me down to the PP?

Thanks, I can't wait to be an Audi owner!
I agree with the others: if you are keeping it for a long time, get exactly what you want even if you order it and have to wait a few months. I was going to get the S5 coupe PP package and a few options. I couldn't get my hands on what I wanted in the US as most dealers carry Prestige only. I got a phenomenal deal and ended up with the Prestige for a couple grand more than the PP, so I took the deal but still got the options I wanted. My only concession was the exterior color was a "meh" choice for me. I drove a car with the driver's assistance package, but it freaked me out. Plus, like you, I don't have a great distance to get to work. I passed on that one. That may be one option I don't know what I'm missing, but with a ten minute commute to work max...eh. Heads up display (HUD) is a must in a car with the Prestige package because 1) the engine is powerful enough that you can be going very fast and not realize it and 2) the speedometer can get lost in the digital instrumentation panel. Finally if you are a techie, you'll want the Prestige not PP for all of the reasons you and others mentioned. Again, you are going to have this car for a long time. Get what you want!! Enjoy
Old 11-21-2017, 01:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went with a lower configured vehicle and after about a month of driving, miss the following features.

-360 view Top View Camera
-Auto folding side mirrors
-DAP with rear backout , lane assist and blindspot warnings.
-Heated Steering wheel.

Rest - i can live without..
Old 11-21-2017, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jpbear
I went with a lower configured vehicle and after about a month of driving, miss the following features.

-Heated Steering wheel.

Auto folding mirrors is part of a higher trim level? That's insane if that's the case. Seems silly of Audi
Old 11-21-2017, 05:10 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mobilehavoc
Auto folding mirrors is part of a higher trim level? That's insane if that's the case. Seems silly of Audi
Standard on the A5 Premium trim level is:
- Heated, power exterior mirrors (manual folding)

When you step up to the Premium Plus, you get:
-Heated, auto-dimming, power folding exterior mirrors with memory
Old 11-21-2017, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jpbear

-Heated Steering wheel.

You get auto folding side mirrors with Premium Plus
You can option heated steering wheel With Premium Plus.

The only difference between a Prestige and a Premium Plus are DAP, having the ability to change the interior light color, and the 360 camera and HUD. Everything else can be optioned back to a Premium Plus. It comes down to priority. My Prestige order didn't have DAP. None of the above features that I listed above was worth an extra $40/month. It may be worth it for someone else.

A Premium Plus is the more 'in demand' configuration. Will help with future resale or if you want to get out of your lease early.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 11-21-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes. The Premium with Conv Pckage options gives you auto dimming, heated and power adjustable side mirrors - but they wont auto fold.

Autofold comes with Prem Plus and above only. And with that - the feature that will tilt the driver side mirror down when reversing into a parking spot...
Old 11-22-2017, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -=Hot Ice=-
You get auto folding side mirrors with Premium Plus
You can option heated steering wheel With Premium Plus.

The only difference between a Prestige and a Premium Plus are DAP, having the ability to change the interior light color, and the 360 camera and HUD. Everything else can be optioned back to a Premium Plus. It comes down to priority. My Prestige order didn't have DAP. None of the above features that I listed above was worth an extra $40/month. It may be worth it for someone else.

A Premium Plus is the more 'in demand' configuration. Will help with future resale or if you want to get out of your lease early.

I would guess that the premium plus has better initial sales as the price is cheaper but I would bet the prestige will have a better resale as people will be looking at cars with the most options at the best price.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

... For example had a long drive during a really bad storm when visibility was maybe 5-10 feet and I was able to put on the lane assist + ACC for most of the trip. Kept me at a safe distance that I control from car ahead and keep me in the lane pretty effectively.
I’m not sure about ACC, but cruise control shouldn’t be used on wet or slushy roads. If the car hydroplanes, the wheels are still spinning but the car is slowing, when the tires regain traction your car will rocket forward trying to resume the preset speed.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by lowjdml
I’m not sure about ACC, but cruise control shouldn’t be used on wet or slushy roads. If the car hydroplanes, the wheels are still spinning but the car is slowing, when the tires regain traction your car will rocket forward trying to resume the preset speed.
I'm pretty sure any traction loss will deactivate cruise control. This isnt the 90's...
Old 11-22-2017, 09:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh yeah, and get the audi beams rings. I don't think there is a feature on this car that gets more attention when I pull in and get out of my car at night. It's the little things.

Quick Reply: Having a hard time deciding between Premium Plus and Prestige