Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Homelink receiver

Old 08-27-2017, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homelink receiver

I've programmed many homelink cars (incl Audi) and this is the first time I couldn't get it to work. Many had issue on the "learning" rolling code procedure but I can't even get the button to recognize/register my Liftmaster remote. Finally I tried the UR mode and D mode in MMI and still nothing. New battery in the handheld remote. Any trick others have tried? TIA.

Ps: probably still shows A6 in my sig. (using mobile currently) but it's a 2018 S5. Need to update. 👍
Old 08-27-2017, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Try deleting the programming settings in the MMI then try again. Hold the transmitter steady about 1-2 inches away from the rearview mirror.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Try deleting the programming settings in the MMI then try again. Hold the transmitter steady about 1-2 inches away from the rearview mirror.
I had deleted them numerous times yesterday and tried holding the handheld remote at various location near the rearview mirror steady one at a time. I am start to think if it's possible to have a defective homelink receiver?
Old 08-27-2017, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by KarKid
I had deleted them numerous times yesterday and tried holding the handheld remote at various location near the rearview mirror steady one at a time. I am start to think if it's possible to have a defective homelink receiver?
+1

I don't think you have a defective receiver -- I too have basically given up on programing. I spent 3 hours trying one evening. This included:

-- 20,000 trips up and down a ladder to press the learn button then hopping back into the car (good exercise, however)

-- erasing the car's memory and trying many times to program using the MMI

-- watching and reading all instructions I could find on Homelink in Audis

-- positioning the car outside the garage and inside the garage

-- programing with engine off and on

-- trying different ones of the buttons (some people said II was easiest to get to work)

-- erasing all of my openers to eliminate the variable of too many openers already paired up with my garage door

NOTHING WORKED. I have a Liftmaster garage door motor, and I've basically just shoved my small opener next to the front 12v socket, it fits perfectly and isn't noticeable. Just not worth my time to continue to try and get this working.
The following users liked this post:
Omega23 (12-12-2020)
Old 08-27-2017, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

The homelink should have no trouble with Liftmaster. What color is the opener Learn button?

I've programmed my S5 with the new yellow button opener - it programmed right away with no need to press the learn button.

I also programmed it to another door with an old red button LiftMaster. I needed to run up the ladder for that one, but the Homelink picked it up right away.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also can't get it working. Mine is a Linear and worked so easily on my old Nissan but no luck with my 18 SB..
Old 08-27-2017, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a failrly new LiftMaster with MyQ and I did not experience any issues. I wish I did not have to use a garage opener remote instead of using the signal directly from the car.

Our Lexus NX is having issues connecting to the same garage opener.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JLoft
The homelink should have no trouble with Liftmaster. What color is the opener Learn button?

purple button and purple antenna. No issue with the A6 but won't work with the 2019 b9!
Old 08-27-2017, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by KarKid
purple button and purple antenna. No issue with the A6 but won't work with the 2019 b9!
I was hoping it might be the yellow or red so we know it's possible as I got those to work. I'm out of town now and don't have my docs, but I'm almost sure purple is just one generation older than the latest yellow.

The purple really should work. I'm not sure why it's not. I think you'll need to use the opener learn button (the MMI calls that button something else). It's the last step in the process.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JLoft
I was hoping it might be the yellow or red so we know it's possible as I got those to work. I'm out of town now and don't have my docs, but I'm almost sure purple is just one generation older than the latest yellow.

The purple really should work. I'm not sure why it's not. I think you'll need to use the opener learn button (the MMI calls that button something else). It's the last step in the process.
Ah hah. So the color of the Learn button means something?

I do have a purple button.

When I "teach" the car the remote that works, it accepts the code I think .... but then it doesn't go to any other step.

Is it supposed to tell me to press the Learn button on the garage door (which is purple in my case)? It doesn't, it just says that it learned it.

Sounds like my garage door motor is too old?

Search this Thread