Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Homelink receiver

Old 08-27-2017, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by scoopman
Ah hah. So the color of the Learn button means something?

I do have a purple button.

When I "teach" the car the remote that works, it accepts the code I think .... but then it doesn't go to any other step.

Is it supposed to tell me to press the Learn button on the garage door (which is purple in my case)? It doesn't, it just says that it learned it.

Sounds like my garage door motor is too old?
After it learns the transmitter, it should ask you to press the button you are programming twice. Then it will ask if the garage door moved. If yes, you're done. If no, go press the learn button and within 30 seconds, press the button that you are programming twice. If the garage door moves, then you are done. If not, press learn again and the button you are programming twice more. It should work then.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
After it learns the transmitter, it should ask you to press the button you are programming twice. Then it will ask if the garage door moved. If yes, you're done. If no, go press the learn button and within 30 seconds, press the button that you are programming twice. If the garage door moves, then you are done. If not, press learn again and the button you are programming twice more. It should work then.
Thanks. Think I did this many times. I may try again at some point....
Old 08-27-2017, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry you all are having problems with Homelink. In the past I had a nightmare getting programming. I was dreading doing mine after reading issues on these forums.

However, I literally chose the button (1,2 or 3) and used my existing garage door opener and pushed the button and it programmed easily. Did 3 garage doors in 2 minutes.

Wish you all were having better luck. I've had my issues with Homelink - got lucky this time.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

I was able to program my Lift Master with no problem, but the range is very short. I basically have to be in the driveway before the button will open the garage door. If the car is still in the street (maybe 20 feet away from the door) the Homelink buttons will not open/close the garage door.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

After many unsuccessful attempts to pair via remote, I climbed the ladder and paired that way - worked on first attempt and has been great so far. Only thing I have to get used to is having the car on before I hit the button as it only works i the engine is on (used to my old remote and not having to do this).
Old 08-27-2017, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by s5ecific
After many unsuccessful attempts to pair via remote, I climbed the ladder and paired that way - worked on first attempt and has been great so far. Only thing I have to get used to is having the car on before I hit the button as it only works i the engine is on (used to my old remote and not having to do this).
I've not had the methods described before work at all.

s5ecific, can you please describe exactly what you did? Did you press the motor, then go and press the car button, without going through any of the on-screen stuff?
Old 08-27-2017, 08:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a linear opener and have not had success after many hours trying everything. Had no problems with homelink on this opener with 5 previous vehicles. Not impressed...
Old 08-27-2017, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThaneS5
I also have a linear opener and have not had success after many hours trying everything. Had no problems with homelink on this opener with 5 previous vehicles. Not impressed...
It isn't the vehicle - it's homelink.

I've had tons of problems in the past with other vehicles, and for some reason my S5 was 2 min and easy. Frustrating to say the least. I've spent countless hours in the past for my Mazda CX5 and Toyota Sienna.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same exact problem everyone is describing with my Lift Master and my new S5. The thing that fixed it for me was extending the antenna wire and making it longer. I took a piece of wire about 14 inches long and cut the sleeves back on both and twisted together and wrapped with electrical tape. That fixed the problem and I can open it pretty much anywhere in my driveway now.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Stern
I had the same exact problem everyone is describing with my Lift Master and my new S5. The thing that fixed it for me was extending the antenna wire and making it longer. I took a piece of wire about 14 inches long and cut the sleeves back on both and twisted together and wrapped with electrical tape. That fixed the problem and I can open it pretty much anywhere in my driveway now.
For some of us here, the issue is the car not able to learn the remote control code. I can't even get a homelink button to register a signal. You are a lucky one that you got the liftmaster to work.
Spent some time with homelink support today and was told that they are seeing issue with 315mhz opener regardless of brand (liftmaster, genie..etc). So for people with liftmaster, it's the purple button/wire. Homelink support asked to contact Audi. Here we go with the run around and finger pointing.

Search this Thread