Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Homelink receiver

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

For what it’s worth — Genie makes LED bulbs for garage door openers that filter the interference. They’re pricy though - $9-$10 each. I have four of them installed and they work well — but didn’t help with the issues I had with the range on the purple learn button.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good job PRGeno...amazing how persistance pays off...LOL!!! My Homelink programming went much better on my 2006 A4 Cabriolet...I had to do the 2nd part of the programming for the advanced coding, but only needed to climb the ladder and hit the Learn button once.

Last edited by RoMan709; 03-31-2018 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by RickNY
For what it’s worth — Genie makes LED bulbs for garage door openers that filter the interference. They’re pricy though - $9-$10 each. I have four of them installed and they work well — but didn’t help with the issues I had with the range on the purple learn button.
I did not want to mention in the first post because I am still testing, Torchstar 1600lumen (100watt eq) LED they claim it's RFI minimized for garage door openers. Two interfered but with one it worked like a charm I could open the door from about 130ft. It appears to have become a bit unstable as it has warmed up. I will post again with results during the summer. Torchstar is pricey too.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been driving me crazy ever since I got my B9 RS5 a few weeks ago. I tried everything possible to get Homelink programmed, but nothing seemed to work. The problem was that my remote was not recognized by the system when I tried pushing it near the rearview mirror. Then, I randomly tried it outside in front of the hood and it worked the first time! I tested it a few more times, and sure enough, it works every time. If you've been having trouble getting your remote to be picked up by Homelink, ignore the instructions inside the car and try it near the front of your car, facing the windshield and leaning over slightly over the hood.

FYI, I have an old Genie garage with a red LED remote that has the rolling code function. So, I did have to do the second step and train Homelink using the program button on the actual overhead unit. This was after the button on the remote was recognized. Good luck to all!
Old 05-18-2018, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FrankS5
Ok everyone, I know this is the (anti-climactic) post you've all been waiting for!

Took my car to the dealership this morning - they worked with Audi TAC all morning and have a "fix" (I use this term loosely and you'll see why) that does allow successful programming and operation of the Security+ (purple button/antenna) garage door openers. The reason the remote can't program is because of interference from the lane change / blind spot assist radar in the rear of the car. Here's the workaround (and I'll preface this by saying do this at your own risk. The tech did have to clear fault codes out from the computer, so I'm not sure if those were caused by performing these steps, or other troubleshooting they performed):

1. Make sure the car is off
2. Pull the fuse for the lane change / blind spot assist (it's already out in the pic, but the spot is circled). It is the 4th fuse from the bottom in the rear driver-side fuse panel in the trunk. It's an orange 5 amp fuse, located directly above a 7.5 amp fuse.
3. Go through the programming process and sync the opener (we initially had to back the car into the driveway so it would be closer to the opener since the transmitter is near the rear bumper)
4. Test it out a few times
5. Turn off the car
6. Put the fuse back in.

I opened and closed mine about 5 times, and had descent range. So far it seems to work. In a perfect world, I'm guessing Audi would update the car's software to disable the radar during programming (that would be my ideal fix at least), but I guess we wait and see. I don't have any paperwork yet, so I can't reference and type of bulletin number or anything.

Oh man, this works like a charm!! Thanks so much for posting.

I have an 18 S5 Sportback Prestige and was having the same issue with programming my purple button garage door.
The following 2 users liked this post by krsidodd05:
farleto1 (08-14-2019), Frank Brinkmann (07-02-2019)
Old 07-21-2018, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok everyone, I know this is the (anti-climactic) post you've all been waiting for!

Took my car to the dealership this morning - they worked with Audi TAC all morning and have a "fix" (I use this term loosely and you'll see why) that does allow successful programming and operation of the Security+ (purple button/antenna) garage door openers. The reason the remote can't program is because of interference from the lane change / blind spot assist radar in the rear of the car. Here's the workaround (and I'll preface this by saying do this at your own risk. The tech did have to clear fault codes out from the computer, so I'm not sure if those were caused by performing these steps, or other troubleshooting they performed):

2. Pull the fuse for the lane change / blind spot assist (it's already out in the pic, but the spot is circled). It is the 4th fuse from the bottom in the rear driver-side fuse panel in the trunk. It's an orange 5 amp fuse, located directly above a 7.5 amp fuse.
3. Go through the programming process and sync the opener (we initially had to back the car into the driveway so it would be closer to the opener since the transmitter is near the rear bumper)
5. Turn off the car
6. Put the fuse back in.

I opened and closed mine about 5 times, and had descent range. So far it seems to work. In a perfect world, I'm guessing Audi would update the car's software to disable the radar during programming (that would be my ideal fix at least), but I guess we wait and see. I don't have any paperwork yet, so I can't reference and type of bulletin number or anything.
THANK YOU! In my case it was GTO Mighty Mule gate opener. Looked it up, sure enough it uses 315MHz. Popping that fuse did the trick.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just received my custom ordered 18 s4, you would think this would be fixed by now, but no. did the fuse trick, worked immediately.

edit: the process will log an unconfirmed fault, no check-engine light. I cleared it anyways.

1 Fault Found:
26521 - Lane change assistant control module
U1045 00 [038] - No communication
Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 76 km
Date: 2018.07.21
Time: 17:06:17

Last edited by will13k7; 07-21-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bartprz
This has been driving me crazy ever since I got my B9 RS5 a few weeks ago. I tried everything possible to get Homelink programmed, but nothing seemed to work. The problem was that my remote was not recognized by the system when I tried pushing it near the rearview mirror. Then, I randomly tried it outside in front of the hood and it worked the first time! I tested it a few more times, and sure enough, it works every time. If you've been having trouble getting your remote to be picked up by Homelink, ignore the instructions inside the car and try it near the front of your car, facing the windshield and leaning over slightly over the hood.

FYI, I have an old Genie garage with a red LED remote that has the rolling code function. So, I did have to do the second step and train Homelink using the program button on the actual overhead unit. This was after the button on the remote was recognized. Good luck to all!
In our cars, the receiver is actually in the rear bumper on the drivers side. So if you are outside the car, standing at the back of the car would be a good idea.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thanks!

5. Turn off the car
6. Put the fuse back in.

This worked for me! Just bought an A5 SB and have a purple button Liftmaster, Dealer was no help, and I tried clearing the memory and other troubleshooting steps. Thanks for posting this "fix," which took me 2 minutes and worked immediately. I let my dealer know but not holding my breath that Audi will do anything since this is clearly not a new issue.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Once you do this, you may want to clear any faults that it throws via OBDEleven or VCDS if you have it. In my car it caused a lot of systems to become momentarily unhappy and it may make it harder to identify real issues in the future.