Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Homelink receiver

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Stern
I had the same exact problem everyone is describing with my Lift Master and my new S5. The thing that fixed it for me was extending the antenna wire and making it longer. I took a piece of wire about 14 inches long and cut the sleeves back on both and twisted together and wrapped with electrical tape. That fixed the problem and I can open it pretty much anywhere in my driveway now.
Already tried this too -- didn't help with programing the car properly. But it did increase the range!
Old 08-28-2017, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, I do have the dreaded Purple Button.

Originally Posted by KarKid
For some of us here, the issue is the car not able to learn the remote control code. I can't even get a homelink button to register a signal. You are a lucky one that you got the liftmaster to work.
Spent some time with homelink support today and was told that they are seeing issue with 315mhz opener regardless of brand (liftmaster, genie..etc). So for people with liftmaster, it's the purple button/wire. Homelink support asked to contact Audi. Here we go with the run around and finger pointing.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scoopman
Yes, I do have the dreaded Purple Button.
What colored buttons do we know work with the B9 platform?
Old 08-28-2017, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scoopman
I've not had the methods described before work at all.

s5ecific, can you please describe exactly what you did? Did you press the motor, then go and press the car button, without going through any of the on-screen stuff?
I clicked the connect button on my Chamberlain LiftMaster Formula 1 unit and then clicked the first homelink button twice. Similar process to programming a standalone remote. I do not recall following any MMI instructions.

Re my engine on requirement comment - i just ran to the garage to test, as long as the car has power (engine off) it should work.

Good luck!
Old 08-28-2017, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by s5ecific
I clicked the connect button on my Chamberlain LiftMaster Formula 1 unit and then clicked the first homelink button twice. Similar process to programming a standalone remote. I do not recall following any MMI instructions.

Re my engine on requirement comment - i just ran to the garage to test, as long as the car has power (engine off) it should work.

Good luck!
Thank you .... I'm off to get the step ladder out after dinner for yet another night!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by s5ecific

Good luck!
So I tried exactly what you describe and this does not work.

I first deleted any left-over signals from the remote learning I had done on previous attempts. I then pressed the purple button, then I went to the car right away and pressed one of the homelink buttons. When I did so, the learning dialog popped up right away on the MMI.

I ignored what was on the screen, but I don't think my pressing the homelink button did anything to learn or transmit a signal. no light worked next to the buttons. I also tried with going through the Audi prompts, but that didn't work (again).

I'm going to abandon this -- it's clear something is wrong with my garage door's compatibility with the S5SB.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, I called Homelink because I was trying unsuccessfully to program the buttons on my 2014 S5 to work with a Chamberlain opener. We misplaced the original remote but I was able to use the learning method previously on my wife's BMW. Apparently that method will not work with VAG cars. The Homelink automated message asks you to specify if you have an Audi, Porsche, Volkswagen etc. For these cars, you must first program with existing remote then do the rolling code programming. I confirmed this requirement with the young lady that eventually answered my call.

I had purchased a replacement remote but left it in my A3 when I traded it in. I don't park in this garage so I'm not interested in shelling out another $38 to get another.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stopped by dealership on my way to work this morning. Went through the programing with one of their tech, then we tried it on a new 2018 A5 SB. Exactly the same thing: button won't register handheld remote signal. He took the info from the car and my garage door info to contact Audi USA. For those who are having issue with Liftmaster (purple button/antenna wire), contact your dealership. More people contact Audi, hopefully we will have a fix sooner.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like others, I've tried repeatedly to program my homelink but it just ends with the error message. Pretty frustrating so I took it in. Dealer says another 2018 car is having this issue and ordered a new module to no avail. They asked for several more weeks as the master tech is trying to troubleshoot. Since I had a loaner, I tested pairing homelink to my remote without a hitch, first try.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tinman143
Like others, I've tried repeatedly to program my homelink but it just ends with the error message. Pretty frustrating so I took it in. Dealer says another 2018 car is having this issue and ordered a new module to no avail. They asked for several more weeks as the master tech is trying to troubleshoot. Since I had a loaner, I tested pairing homelink to my remote without a hitch, first try.
Very interesting -- what model Audi did you have as a loaner? Is your learning button purple?