Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Honeycomb grill no longer RS specific

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Honeycomb grill no longer RS specific

New to the Audi family, so perhaps they've done this before... but new TT facelift gives ALL trim levels a honeycomb-style grill. Will be interesting to see if it makes it into the b9.5's... While I don't have an RS myself, and of course aftermarket replacement is always an option, not sure I like it - as a "hallmark" of the RS brand, seems to water it down a bit.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The TT needs all the help it can get.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Audi seems to be keen to make visual changes to their cars that suggest higher levels of performance. To be fair and balanced, it is also true that other manufacturers are also upping the implications of performance via visual cues without really making any performance changes to the hardware. I do want my car manufacturer to be successful. I am not against putting badges, spoilers made of carbon fiber, wheels, and pedal dress-up kits among other styling/appearance cues that are similar to actual higher performance models. Perhaps the margins are higher for cars with these styling accouterments and more power to the car companies if they're able to make more money.

What I lament is calling a package "Competition" that offers zero performance enhancements beyond, perhaps, the possible improvements in handling that plus-sizing the tires and wheels afford.

What some customers end up doing (sometimes risking their power-train warranties) is tuning their new Audis, often at a 4-figure cost, for more power and torque. Others make suspension, tire, and wheel changes to squeeze a bit more handling prowess out of the chassis of their Audis. Probably even if Audi offered a real Competition package option, people would buy them and still upgrade their cars using aftermarket tuners, etc.

I, perhaps a screaming voice in the wilderness, would be willing to pay for a Competition package that added to the HP and torque numbers and perhaps provided some suspension and exhaust changes with an eye toward BOTH appearance AND performance. Some time ago, I remember seeing a vehicle that I believe was called an AS4. Several times when I was in Ingolstadt I saw cars that actually had a badge on them: a stylized "S6+" over the Audi rhombus. I don't know if this was a half-measure (in between the S6 and RS6), but the vehicle was a sedan, not the body we normally associate with the RS6 (Avant).

Again, I am not arguing against cosmetic changes that imply performance but add none -- what I am asking for is a factory tune that bumps up the performance when the name of the package is Performance or Competition, etc.

Just a thought.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So true Markcincinnati. With the latest manufacturer to do it, Acura. Yes, I know this is an Audi forum, but I do own an S5 and was a former owner of a 2010 3.2 Q5.

We recently purchased a 2019 Acura RDX A-spec for the wife, that is totally an appearance package of 20" shark colored wheels, totally blacked out exterior, red sport heated/Vent seats, wide 4" dual exhaust tips, thicker steering wheel and other badges, and interior nice touches that are all cosmetic.

As the 2019 RDX is the same 2.0T and 10sp.tranny in all trims. The A-spec trim does however give this 3rd generation RDX some nice looking sporty features that make previous generation RDX seem downright lame by comparison.

Here she is:
Old 07-19-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

The car is VERY handsome. It IMPLIES a bit more under the hood, however. Maybe, these days, the automotive equivalent of a padded bra (or falsies) is sufficient. I can't carry that analogy any further in a family-friendly forum like this, but ultimately people will come to the point of asking the question: "Is that all there is?"

Still, a great looking car. My wife has an honest-to-god actual performance bumped car, an SQ5. There are times, however, when she says, "An extra 10% under the hood would be a good idea." Fancy wheels and trim would be great, but I'm sure she would ultimately say, "All yak and no shack!"

We get the cars we deserve. The expense involved in increasing the HP and torque must be daunting and the take-rate underwhelming. I just won't pay $23,000 more for an RS car -- it seems about $10,000 too much.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

The front of that new TT is gorgeous!
Old 07-19-2018, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Who knows what Audi's master plan is, but seeing how Hyundai grill is so similar to the non-RS grills, maybe they'll be going to more of the Honeycomb style in the future. The picture posted shows the Honeycomb with a nice touch of color/chrome in the grill itself. Audi could still make various flavors of the Honeycomb that are only available on the RS (i.e. all black).

The B8 grill is still my favorite design from Audi.