Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Hot S5

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

In case anyone has ODB11, you can go into the climate control module, select live view and then get real time readouts of all the interior and exterior temperature probes along with fan speeds, evaporator temp and vent flap positions. You can also log these values to a file on your phone to see how they change over time.

If I was having issues with my climate control the first thing I'd probably check is to make sure the temperature probes were giving the correct values and not tricking the system into thinking it needed to provide more heat.

Last night I checked the vent temps while driving home with the AC turned off. Outside temp was about 74, cabin temp a few degrees warmer at 77. Vent temp was 77 as long as I kept the thermostat set to something below that. Once I adjusted the thermostat to something higher the heat kicked in and the vents redirected toward the floor. I'm not sure if this gen of the S4/5 pulls in outside air when the AC is off, or if it just recirculates cabin air. It's probably somewhere in the manual, but it's not something I'd ever consider doing. I either have the windows closed and the climate control in auto with AC on, or the climate control completely off and the windows open.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
It is a climate control system, and is intended to be used with the AC enabled whether it needs to reduce the temperature or not. The AC also manages the moisture content of the air. I never turn the AC switch off, even in the middle of winter, and assume the primary reason for the switch is to return fractionally better numbers in certification testing. I'm surprised to read here that people are actively turning it off, this isn't like a system from the 80s There is an Eco mode as well.

That aside, the 3.0TFSI turbocharged engine in the B9 uses a dramatically different exhaust layout than the supercharged engine in the B8. It is called a hot vee design for a reason, and the collector/catalyst post turbocharger, which then splits to twin pipes, is up high and right near the firewall. I think you will find it is the "plumbing" that makes the difference.
Maybe I am old school, or maybe I am imagining thing, but I do feel the car drives more lively without air condition on. It does make sense too because there is less load on the engine.

I am also comparing the S5 SB to my previous B8 S4 and my 2013 911, both I can do without air conditioning when outside temperature is below 70. As to humidity, not a problem in Los Angels area.

Last edited by WENR; 09-27-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah why the hell would you turn off the AC, the system can't work properly without it. I don't even change my temps anymore, it's set to 72F at all times.