Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

How many of you tip the valet guy from the dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

A few thoughts on comments in this thread from an Australian perspective:
  1. I'm really glad service personnel/hospitality workers etc in Australia receive a wage that makes tipping unnecessary. It's the exception rather than the rule here and is generally unexpected. Saves a lot of unnecessary decisions on how much (if any) is appropriate.
  2. I expect and receive a loan car whenever I have any work done on any of our vehicles, even a 16 year old farm truck at a local, independent garage.
  3. I choose the vehicle I drive on it's merits as a car. Any lurks and perks arising from a flashy dealership/service department are somewhat irrelevant. As long as they are able to provide comprehensive and competent service at reasonable price and a few basics like the aforementioned loan car, that's all I need or want. I've always been happy to pay for my own coffee.
  4. Despite point 3. I must admit we enjoyed a very pleasant day in the Audi corporate tent at a recent local motorsport event. However, the value of that perk would pale into insignificance in comparison to the purchase price of the car I bought from them and that sort of peripheral benefit just doesn't factor into my car buying decisions. I don't need or want a car dealership to try to make me "feel important". especially as their motives for doing so are purely business oriented.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony M
A few thoughts on comments in this thread from an Australian perspective:
  1. I'm really glad service personnel/hospitality workers etc in Australia receive a wage that makes tipping unnecessary. It's the exception rather than the rule here and is generally unexpected. Saves a lot of unnecessary decisions on how much (if any) is appropriate.
  2. I expect and receive a loan car whenever I have any work done on any of our vehicles, even a 16 year old farm truck at a local, independent garage.
  3. I choose the vehicle I drive on it's merits as a car. Any lurks and perks arising from a flashy dealership/service department are somewhat irrelevant. As long as they are able to provide comprehensive and competent service at reasonable price and a few basics like the aforementioned loan car, that's all I need or want. I've always been happy to pay for my own coffee.
  4. Despite point 3. I must admit we enjoyed a very pleasant day in the Audi corporate tent at a recent local motorsport event. However, the value of that perk would pale into insignificance in comparison to the purchase price of the car I bought from them and that sort of peripheral benefit just doesn't factor into my car buying decisions. I don't need or want a car dealership to try to make me "feel important". especially as their motives for doing so are purely business oriented.
While I do agree with you on your points, you do tend to realize the value of a good dealership network when you deal with a bad dealership network. It does make a difference that is not insignificant.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have never tip a dealership's valet, although some of them looked like they were expecting a tip. As a society, I think we tip way too many occupations, sometime unnecessarily.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Im not aware if Canada has such service. They are really tough when it comes to giving you a loaner. I don't mind if they give me a non audi, it's all about convenience really.

Last edited by IvanLZ; 02-13-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:27 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I have never tip a dealership's valet, although some of them looked like they were expecting a tip. As a society, I think we tip way too many occupations, sometime unnecessarily.
Are you European or Japanese? Most of people in those countries consider a tip to be in very poor taste; in Japan it’s an insult to offer a tip. I have not been to all the countries in Europe but I know in Great Britain, it’s also considered to be an insult.

Not looking to start any conflict — just posting a comment.

— John
Old 02-13-2019, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

Are you European or Japanese? Most of people in those countries consider a tip to be in very poor taste; in Japan it’s an insult to offer a tip. I have not been to all the countries in Europe but I know in Great Britain, it’s also considered to be an insult.

— John
It's actually not permitted to accept tips in China. If you do force your tip onto the waiters or waitress it will end up on the boss pockets.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

— John
I am an Asian American, while in Asia, most people were surprised and very grateful when I offer them tip. While in Italy, some restaurants included tip in the bill and for the restaurants that don't include tip in their bill, people were not tipping 15% - 20% like we do in USA. it is usually much lower.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

The last time I was in Japan, if I offered a tip, it was usually politely declined -although several times I was given a "less-than-friendly" look. and in England, Scotland and Ireland it was usually a frown when I offered a tip for a lift or someone helping with my bags. Within restaurants, I just usually left the tip on the table so I do not know how it was received and that was only until a local said that tipping was not always received in the spirit it was offered.

Last edited by Nikon1; 02-13-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am an Asian American, while in Asia, most people were surprised and very grateful when I offer them tip. While in Italy, some restaurants included tip in the bill and for the restaurants that don't include tip in their bill, people were not tipping 15% - 20% like we do in USA. it is usually much lower.
No “tips” in Italy, but you can leave a euro or two, if one is inclined for very good service. You get charged a flat rate, at the table, of 2-4€ a person and it covers bread, service, etc. It’s called a “coperto” or a cover charge in English. Not every place charges a coperto. Source: me-I lived in Milan
Old 02-13-2019, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

The last time I was in Japan, if I offered a tip, it was usually politely declined -although several times I was given a "less-than-friendly" look. and in England, Scotland and Ireland it was usually a frown when I offered a tip for a lift or someone helping with my bags. Within restaurants, I just usually left the tip on the table so I do not know how it was received and that was only until a local said that tipping was not always received in the spirit it was offered.
In Japan tip is considered an insult - they consider high quality and friendly service as standard. I worked for a Japanese company for 15 years. In Europe in many cases they add a service charge so the front line worker does not have to depend so much of a tip. Stateside the expectation and dependence on tips to make a living wage royally screws up the work ethics. IMO there should be a National Law that require all employers to pay all employees a living wage based on the Cost of living of that area. A tip should be exactly what it is - a voluntary token for appreciation for a service done above the expected high quality. It really irks me when restaurants simply add a 20% tip automatically to a bill for a large party. In DC last year a Bill got passed that required restaurants to pay a living wage to all employees - it was overturned due to opposition from restaurant owners, and even surprisingly from the waiters and bar keeps, specially the bar keeps. So the busboys, dishwashers etc lost out.

Quick Reply: How many of you tip the valet guy from the dealership?