Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

How much off sticker price?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much off sticker price?

Hey guys, I m looking forward to join the Audi club.

I am looking at a 2019 S5 SB. With a sticker price around $66k. This will be my very first time buying a new car. I understand it's a bad investment but I feel like it is more trouble-proof with the warranty..

How much off sticker price should I negotiate for?
Old 01-11-2019, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on the dealer but I always shoot for 10%. I think it's a good number for both the buyer and the dealer. They make money and you get a decent deal.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I received 6% off on a 2019 S5 order without too much haggling. I probably could have done a little better, but I would think 10% off on a 2019 would be difficult for now.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

10% off a 2018 maybe if the OP is in the location with lots of competition. For a 2019, depending on the OP's location, I would shoot for 7-8%
Old 01-11-2019, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by machz
It all depends on the dealer but I always shoot for 10%. I think it's a good number for both the buyer and the dealer. They make money and you get a decent deal.
Invoice is reduced this year vs previous years, and is, and has always been significantly less than double digits (I wish!). So where is the dealer "making money" on the deal here? If there are afterm,arket purchased (AudiCare, warranty) then all that's doing is evening out the negative they lost on the front end.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Invoice is reduced this year vs previous years, and is, and has always been significantly less than double digits (I wish!). So where is the dealer "making money" on the deal here? If there are afterm,arket purchased (AudiCare, warranty) then all that's doing is evening out the negative they lost on the front end.
The dealer make their money by manufacturer kickback, hidden factory incentives and bonus from Audi.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by The G Man
The dealer make their money by manufacturer kickback, hidden factory incentives and bonus from Audi.
Except that's if, and only if, a dealer hits their quaterly business plan from Audi, it is not on a per transaction basis. This is Audi, not GMC at the end of the day

There are no "hidden incentives" that Audi ever offers to a dealer,. there is bonus money paid quaterly based on performance and surveys, and dassit
Old 01-11-2019, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

All it takes is one customer not giving a perfect score on the satisfaction survey and the dealer looses most if not all of the incentive money from Audi. At a 10% discount the dealer is selling the car well below his cost. How do you expect them to pay the staff at that rate?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 19hole
All it takes is one customer not giving a perfect score on the satisfaction survey and the dealer looses most if not all of the incentive money from Audi. At a 10% discount the dealer is selling the car well below his cost. How do you expect them to pay the staff at that rate?
it's not quite that dramatic (I'm on the dealer side of the equation), but it's not far from reality
Old 01-11-2019, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

With so much pricing info out there on the internet, the dealer profit off a new car is getting smaller and smaller. That is why all dealers try to make it up on the back end of the deal, i.e., extended warranties, wheel insurance and maintenance plans. The dealer also look at the overall picture of the business as well, selling a car usually means that the owner will series their car there, after all, the service department usually makes more money than the sales department. In the end, car manufacturers will always find a way to make sure that their successful dealer make money somehow.

Quick Reply: How much off sticker price?