Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Huge mpg difference between city and highway

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
Every car suffers fuel economy on short trips. The same exact trip, my i4 Accord got 19 mpg vs 15.5 mpg for the S5. That's really not too bad considering the difference in engines.
My commute is 30 km, so there's a lot of distance to coast and drive at optimal speed. If it's a 10 km trip that's a different story. You can help by trying not to go above 1500 rpm though, that's pretty much rock bottom when it comes to acceleration and gives you better efficiency if you're looking to break a mileage record.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd also like to add my 2-4 cents on this topic.

Across N. America, and other parts of the world, people's daily and weekly routes can vary significantly, even though they are driving the exact same vehicle.
If your daily and weekly route is in a steeply hilly area, and your commute is 60 miles round trip, then you average MPG will likely be quite different to a person who drives the exact same vehicle, and also drives a 60 mile round trip, but on a route that is on quite flat roads.
And that makes a big difference in average MPG.
A 60 mile round trip on hilly terrain roads is going to use more fuel than driving 60 miles round trip on roads like the Chicago area, where it's quite flat.

And then add in that different drivers have different preferred methods of driving. Some like a hard accel from every stop, with big throttle to get up to speed before going to cruise mode. Others like to creep up to their preferred cruising speed.
Some use manual mode and like to hold each gear to red line to hear the engine sing, I too like that from time to time.
Some drivers use their throttle like an ON/OFF switch, with big throttle to accelerate to speed, then they left off and cruise a bit until the vehicle slows, and the BIG throttle again
Man that is annoying. I have a couple of friends who drive like that, and you can get sea sick riding in their cars. LOL!
Other drivers stay at speed with a steady and even throttle with very little variance in throttle opening, and thus keep a consistent rpm, and that adds to better MPG efficiency.
Point is, how one drives is yet another factor in overall MPG.

And the only method by which to get the most accurate average MPG, using just your trip meter, simply math, and the fuel pumps auto OFF function, is to manually calculate it.
My S4's MPG computer is optimistic, and shows about 1.5 MPG higher average than by manually calculating.
I came to know that after I did numerous manual calculations. And the instant average MPG, well that's pretty much useless for anything other than drivers who are paying more attention to it than on their driving.
But, I digress.

Even the manual calculations need to be averaged as well, as not all pumps shut off exactly at the same fuel tank level, but it's still pretty close.
So, fill the fuel tank using the same pump delivery flow every time, and when the auto shut-off stops the flow, then stop and hang up the fuel nozzle.
Then, reset the trip mileage to zero before moving on.
Then, drive as you do all the time.
When your vehicle's "low fuel" light comes on, go to the gas station.
Before refueling, note the miles driven since you reset the trip computer at the last fill up.
Then, refuel your tank, using the same fuel pump delivery flow, and when the auto shut off stops the flow, hang up the nozzle.
Note how many gallons you just put in.
Take the miles driven since you last trip meter reset and divide by the number of gallons you just put in.
Viola! That is your average MPG, and it includes all of your driving, from accelerating up to highway cruising speed, to any stop and go city driving, and everything in between.

After a few more of those refuels and calculations you'll have a much more accurate average MPG.
In my case, every vehicle that I've had and have done manual MPG calculations, my winter MPG is about 1-2 MPG lower than my summer, driving the same roads and routes in the same manner.
It shows that cold weather, tire pliability, friction, time to engine warm up, changing tire PSI, extra idle time, etc., does have a collective effect.
I'm in the suburban Chicago area, and driving in the city is not part of my daily normal route.
My routes are suburban country speeds and stops, which are not nearly as frequent as actual city driving, and high speed highway, on quite flat roads, that are mostly asphalt with some concrete surfaces thrown in.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 310 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by TT-S4
I'd also like to add my 2-4 cents on this topic.

Across N. America, and other parts of the world, people's daily and weekly routes can vary significantly, even though they are driving the exact same vehicle.
If your daily and weekly route is in a steeply hilly area, and your commute is 60 miles round trip, then you average MPG will likely be quite different to a person who drives the exact same vehicle, and also drives a 60 mile round trip, but on a route that is on quite flat roads.
And that makes a big difference in average MPG.
A 60 mile round trip on hilly terrain roads is going to use more fuel than driving 60 miles round trip on roads like the Chicago area, where it's quite flat.

And then add in that different drivers have different preferred methods of driving. Some like a hard accel from every stop, with big throttle to get up to speed before going to cruise mode. Others like to creep up to their preferred cruising speed.
Some use manual mode and like to hold each gear to red line to hear the engine sing, I too like that from time to time.
Some drivers use their throttle like an ON/OFF switch, with big throttle to accelerate to speed, then they left off and cruise a bit until the vehicle slows, and the BIG throttle again
Man that is annoying. I have a couple of friends who drive like that, and you can get sea sick riding in their cars. LOL!
Other drivers stay at speed with a steady and even throttle with very little variance in throttle opening, and thus keep a consistent rpm, and that adds to better MPG efficiency.
Point is, how one drives is yet another factor in overall MPG.

And the only method by which to get the most accurate average MPG, using just your trip meter, simply math, and the fuel pumps auto OFF function, is to manually calculate it.
My S4's MPG computer is optimistic, and shows about 1.5 MPG higher average than by manually calculating.
I came to know that after I did numerous manual calculations. And the instant average MPG, well that's pretty much useless for anything other than drivers who are paying more attention to it than on their driving.
But, I digress.

Even the manual calculations need to be averaged as well, as not all pumps shut off exactly at the same fuel tank level, but it's still pretty close.
So, fill the fuel tank using the same pump delivery flow every time, and when the auto shut-off stops the flow, then stop and hang up the fuel nozzle.
Then, reset the trip mileage to zero before moving on.
Then, drive as you do all the time.
When your vehicle's "low fuel" light comes on, go to the gas station.
Before refueling, note the miles driven since you reset the trip computer at the last fill up.
Then, refuel your tank, using the same fuel pump delivery flow, and when the auto shut off stops the flow, hang up the nozzle.
Note how many gallons you just put in.
Take the miles driven since you last trip meter reset and divide by the number of gallons you just put in.
Viola! That is your average MPG, and it includes all of your driving, from accelerating up to highway cruising speed, to any stop and go city driving, and everything in between.

After a few more of those refuels and calculations you'll have a much more accurate average MPG.
In my case, every vehicle that I've had and have done manual MPG calculations, my winter MPG is about 1-2 MPG lower than my summer, driving the same roads and routes in the same manner.
It shows that cold weather, tire pliability, friction, time to engine warm up, changing tire PSI, extra idle time, etc., does have a collective effect.
I'm in the suburban Chicago area, and driving in the city is not part of my daily normal route.
My routes are suburban country speeds and stops, which are not nearly as frequent as actual city driving, and high speed highway, on quite flat roads, that are mostly asphalt with some concrete surfaces thrown in.
I drive in mostly flat to slightly rolling terrains, most of my drives until the road trip have been suburban. My A5 is showing 30.7mpg over 9053.2 miles, average speed 38mph. The last 2700 miles approx was highway drive with a bent fender and bumper cover that exposed the front wheel to the wind, I could see the drop in mpg from just after the accident.