Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

I'm weird/old school about oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm weird/old school about oil

I know oil and oil changes have been discussed on various other threads. But my issue is this: It is so weird to not be able to pull a dipstick, visually check the oil level, and also get a visual on how the oil actually looks (and possibly feels!). Instead you have to trust the MMI that it's telling you the electronic truth. That's hard for me to get used to.

And I'm someone who always changed the oil at 1000 miles after the break-in period, and then religiously every 3000 miles thereafter. I get that oil is very different now, and I'm happy to not spend so much time and money doing it so often. But going 10,000 miles seems like a lot to me, especially given that I drive the car hard and rev it high on a daily basis. Might even track it occasionally. That's what cars are made for!

So on the break-in period - I've seen on other threads that there is some kind of crankcase additive put in at the factory that helps the break-in process. I wonder if doing a first oil change at say 5,000 miles is not a good idea for this reason. I guess I could get used to every 10,000 miles after that, but to go 10,000 until the VERY FIRST oil change, without even being able to SEE what the oil looks like - Yikes!

Sometimes I get the feeling this world has passed me by.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by thracer
I know oil and oil changes have been discussed on various other threads. But my issue is this: It is so weird to not be able to pull a dipstick, visually check the oil level, and also get a visual on how the oil actually looks (and possibly feels!). Instead you have to trust the MMI that it's telling you the electronic truth. That's hard for me to get used to.

And I'm someone who always changed the oil at 1000 miles after the break-in period, and then religiously every 3000 miles thereafter. I get that oil is very different now, and I'm happy to not spend so much time and money doing it so often. But going 10,000 miles seems like a lot to me, especially given that I drive the car hard and rev it high on a daily basis. Might even track it occasionally. That's what cars are made for!

So on the break-in period - I've seen on other threads that there is some kind of crankcase additive put in at the factory that helps the break-in process. I wonder if doing a first oil change at say 5,000 miles is not a good idea for this reason. I guess I could get used to every 10,000 miles after that, but to go 10,000 until the VERY FIRST oil change, without even being able to SEE what the oil looks like - Yikes!

Sometimes I get the feeling this world has passed me by...
Regardless of what they recommend, you and I both know we're not leaving break-in oil in the crankcase for 10k.

What I do is change that right after break-in and then yearly after that, regardless of miles.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Now to find a dipstick for the B9 S5.... As one who, like you, has trouble adjusting to trusting the MMI and one who will always do my own oil/filter changes, I'm going to see if there's a dipstick out there for the car.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometimes I get the feeling this world has passed me by.
Note: Audi states 10,000 miles or 1 year whichever comes first. If your car is expected to pile up mileage fast then do the mileage based service interval. If like me, do only around 5,000 miles per year on my car, I would do the time-based interval.

Fortunately for my car and yearly mileage, I get to change oil every 5,000 miles. I am for oil changes every 5,000 miles, too. There is definitely no harm in changing it more often than what is recommended by the factory. Clean oil is always beneficial to the engine and will help prolong its life. I do, however, believe and reliable sources say that modern technology and engine manufacturing techniques and capabilities no longer require that a car owner do the first oil change at 1,500 miles like back in the old, old days.

I also installed a factory dipstick in my B8.5 S5 simply for the reason that I needed a second opinion to the MMI's oil level indicator. I have read enough inconsistencies and faults with the electronic oil level sensor that I just decided to spend $15 to $20 for some peace of mind. What is disappointing is that Audi has resorted to using high-temp plastics to manufacture the dipstick. It works but you need to handle it with a bit more care than the steel equivalents. If you decide to buy a dipstick, I recommend spending a bit more for the steel version sold by aftermarket brands.

Last edited by plat27265; 08-25-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by plat27265

I also installed a factory dipstick in my B8.5 S5 simply for the reason that I needed a second opinion to the MMI's oil level indicator. I have read enough inconsistencies and faults with the electronic oil level sensor that I just decided to spend $15 to $20 for some peace of mind. What is disappointing is that Audi has resorted to using high-temp plastics to manufacture the dipstick. It works but you need to handle it with a bit more care than the steel equivalents. If you decide to buy a dipstick, I recommend spending a bit more for the steel version sold by aftermarket brands.

Thanks. I would like to do this. But how did you install the dipstick? I don't see any kind of tube where is could be inserted. Of course there's the filler cap.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks. I would like to do this. But how did you install the dipstick? I don't see any kind of tube where is could be inserted. Of course there's the filler cap.
Not sure about the B9 series engines and the dipstick tubes. I would assume there would be a tube for Audi dealers to use to siphon out the old oil like they do on the B8/8.5 series. I doubt if they are draining the oil through a drain plug in the oil pan like the old days. Best to wait for other B9 owners to chime in and help you identify the whereabouts of the dipstick tube.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thracer:
Assuming you have a B9 S5, you first have to lift off the engine cover. Nothing special, it simply pulls upward. Underneath, near the center if the engine, you'll find the oil filter canister, it has what appears to be a large hex nut molded into its top. to its right and toward the front of the car a bit, you'll find the dipstick tube. In place of the dipstick is a squared off tabular plug that pulls straight up and out from the top of the tube. The plug has two o rings that provide the oil seal.
If anyone finds a good dipstick, please post part number, source, etc.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tstiles
thracer:
Assuming you have a B9 S5, you first have to lift off the engine cover. Nothing special, it simply pulls upward. Underneath, near the center if the engine, you'll find the oil filter canister, it has what appears to be a large hex nut molded into its top. to its right and toward the front of the car a bit, you'll find the dipstick tube. In place of the dipstick is a squared off tabular plug that pulls straight up and out from the top of the tube. The plug has two o rings that provide the oil seal.
If anyone finds a good dipstick, please post part number, source, etc.
Has anyone found a dipstick yet? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-31-2018, 02:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Ditto

Originally Posted by dereitz
Has anyone found a dipstick yet? Thanks in advance!
Looking for a dipstick as well for the B9 S5.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I doubt if there is a dipstick for the B9 series cars. How about this adjustable dipstick similar to what the Audi shop mechanics use:
Dipstick Dipstick

Ask an Audi tech for the proper setting for your particular vehicle.

BTW, do any of the B9 engines (4 cylinder and V6) have a dipstick tube?