Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Invoice Cost vs. Selling Price vs. MSRP – Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 11:34 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Audi's rate is almost always higher than a traditional bank. Sometimes the incentives available more than make up for it, sometimes they don't

As a first time Audi buyer, there was no loyalty bonus and it seems Audi isn’t doing a “Summer Of Audi” event, so AOA was out of the running for me.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

As a first time Audi buyer, there was no loyalty bonus and it seems Audi isn’t doing a “Summer Of Audi” event, so AOA was out of the running for me.
Summer of Audi began July 2. S5 coupe's for June in our area had an extra $1000 off if you went with AFS, and loyalty if you qualified

For July, that doubled to $2000, and loyalty for those that had it apply, stayed the same.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Summer of Audi began July 2. S5 coupe's for June in our area had an extra $1000 off if you went with AFS, and loyalty if you qualified

For July, that doubled to $2000, and loyalty for those that had it apply, stayed the same.

I just looked at where I purchased and the only offer on an S5 was the loyalty bonus. Looks like this areas “Summer Of Audi” is nowhere near as good as SoCal.

Last edited by Nikon1; 07-17-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

Despite what “could have been” if I’d waited u til July - I ordered and received exactly what I wanted, so I’m happy!
That is definitely the most important part of it all. I am all for saving as much as possible, when possible. Some people are content to wait, some just want it when they want it
Old 07-17-2018, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Those of us who are members of ACNA can usually count on a minimum of 6% off MSRP (and then there are loyalty bonuses and sometimes a bonus for going with Audi Care and so forth.) Those folks who claim double digits off MSRP are rare in my experience (which may be a SW Ohio thing). So, sure, try for more than 6%, what's to lose? But, some of the folks here seem to be first time buyers, and it is my experience that those of us who repeat get the best deals -- of course there are exceptions, and I believe they're real.

But, frankly, I see little value in our disclosures here, other than to get an idea of the range of deals that have already happened. So much is dependent on factors that while legitimate and real for Bob in Boston may be irrelevant for Dave in Denver.

Also, I'm looking for a long term relationship so forming an adversarial relationship with the sales department may not be a great long-term strategy,

Do what you want, and don't ask about other's deals after yours is already history. What is to be gained? And, if you feel you paid too much, well, you probably will always have that gnawing at you -- why bother?
Old 07-17-2018, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as I have been researching and talking with a lot of dealers here I find 12% off MSRP the sweet spot atm for both A5 SB and S5 SB. maybe its the time of the year with the new models coming. I do have 4-5 dealers within reasonable driving distance to help.

edit: I'm pulling the trigger soon, hoping at 13% off MSRP.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions above. Everything helps.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Please report back on what you end up getting!
Old 07-18-2018, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xlionheartx
Please report back on what you end up getting!
Will do. Talked prices with the dealer today. Nobody within 500 miles has exactly what we want, so may just order a 2019.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

A car dealer can either focus on volume or gross and a lot of that depends on your market. I sell in a big market, so it is not unusual to sell cars way below invoice to move metal and get a number on the board. We did not make money on the front, but made it up on volume bonuses and finance kickbacks. The small dealers (think middle of nowhere Ohio, Indiana, etc) will not heavily discount since they are not going to hit volume bonuses and have a limited amount of units/allocations. For example, 10% in Chicago would be considered a good A4 discount while 3% in Iowa is a good discount. My advice is to hop on Truecar.com and see what the dealers in your area are offering since that is usually the best price.

Quick Reply: Invoice Cost vs. Selling Price vs. MSRP – Advice?