Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Invoice Cost vs. Selling Price vs. MSRP – Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harry
Will do. Talked prices with the dealer today. Nobody within 500 miles has exactly what we want, so may just order a 2019.
I did the same for a 2018, but this basically takes away a lot of your bargaining power. I was not a good negotiator to begin with =(. I paid $1000 over invoice, so maybe 4% under MSRP, assuming invoice is 6% under MSRP.

I stay away from threads like this so I can enjoy my car and not think about the savings other savvy buyers may have over me =P
Old 07-18-2018, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,246 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by audi-one
I did the same for a 2018, but this basically takes away a lot of your bargaining power. I was not a good negotiator to begin with =(. I paid $1000 over invoice, so maybe 4% under MSRP, assuming invoice is 6% under MSRP.

I stay away from threads like this so I can enjoy my car and not think about the savings other savvy buyers may have over me =P
Except for this one?

Old 07-18-2018, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by synergize
Except for this one?
LOL, I figured it was okay to dive back in, just to see what people have been getting, just this once! There's still that monster 2018 SB prices thread floating around that I had to unsubscribe to.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wam22
A car dealer can either focus on volume or gross and a lot of that depends on your market. I sell in a big market, so it is not unusual to sell cars way below invoice to move metal and get a number on the board. We did not make money on the front, but made it up on volume bonuses and finance kickbacks. The small dealers (think middle of nowhere Ohio, Indiana, etc) will not heavily discount since they are not going to hit volume bonuses and have a limited amount of units/allocations. For example, 10% in Chicago would be considered a good A4 discount while 3% in Iowa is a good discount. My advice is to hop on Truecar.com and see what the dealers in your area are offering since that is usually the best price.
Thank you for your post, it is very insightful.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon1

I just looked at where I purchased and the only offer on an S5 was the loyalty bonus. Looks like this areas “Summer Of Audi” is nowhere near as good as SoCal.
Incentives don't operate in a vacuum. The bonus incentives are regional. Other things can be regional too (money factor, residual), so it all goes hand in hand.

In the NE, S5 couples get a loyalty bonus, if you finance/lease through AFS, and $2000 in additional AFS bonus money, through end of this month.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harry
Will do. Talked prices with the dealer today. Nobody within 500 miles has exactly what we want, so may just order a 2019.

what exactly are you looking for? I have many clients out your way who made the drive specifically to deal with us, as I got (or had) what others said "wasn't out there"
Old 07-19-2018, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
what exactly are you looking for?
A5 SportBack Prestige
Mythos Black Metallic (Moonlight Blue or Manhattan Gray Metallic or Monsoon gray as a second choices but not really what we want)
Black Leather interior
Gray Oak Wood interior inlay
Driver Assistance Package
no other options

Not surprisingly, cars we've found that meet the above specs also have several thousand dollars worth of options we aren't interested in. Why pay that much for stuff we don't want? We tend to keep our cars for a long time, so those options won't add much to the resale value 10 years from now. There are no TrueCar dealers in our area and the SportBack is not eligible for the ACNA 6% discount even if our dealers are participating.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Been driving Audi's since my first one in 1980, no loyalty discount for an RS 5. Member of ACNA, no discount for an RS 5. Bought one anyway. I'm happy!
Old 07-19-2018, 09:09 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mhblaw
Been driving Audi's since my first one in 1980, no loyalty discount for an RS 5. Member of ACNA, no discount for an RS 5. Bought one anyway. I'm happy!
All That Matters!
Old 07-19-2018, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S5 Jun purchase

Bought a 2018 S5 sport back in Texas the end of June 18. Window price was 67,750. Spent 10 days discussing the price via text before paying 63,900 (including tax) or 59,906 (without tax). Got the dealer installed $787 treatments for free (paint protection, tint etc.)

Tips:
1. Start negotiating a week before the end of the month. End of a quarter is even better.
2. They can deal more for a car on the lot and for models not selling well.
3. You can get a better deal on a coupe vs sport back.
4. %5ish is invoice. Which really means nothing but that's the price you'll see online from buying services. (Don't pay that price!)
5. Shop the same car at different dealers. The one that is having trouble making their quota will offer a better deal.
6. Never fall for sale pressure, whatever price they offer will always be there tomorrow/next week.
7. Be willing to walk away. I did and they texted me the next day saying they'll take my price. Closed the deal on the last day of the quarter.
8. I didn't even mention my offer price until two days before I bought at the end of the quarter. Used phrases like "your price is high, can you do better, don't want that color can you get me one in ____, I don't want that dealer added protection... I have a guy I use, this other dealer is cheaper, let me sleep on it, my wife doesn't like the price etc." Then wait hours sometimes days before responding to calls/text, all the while getting closer to the end of the month/quarter.
9. Get non Audi preapproved for a loan (10% more than you think you'll need). Shows you're serious, and sometimes your rate is better.

Love my S5 sport back.. hate the cup holders.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Invoice Cost vs. Selling Price vs. MSRP – Advice?