Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Issue with Start/Stop de-activation

Old 04-21-2019, 10:08 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
I read somewhere that they will have an apple friendly version out soon if it is not out already...
According to my contact in the OBD Eleven team:

MantasTka

April 03, 2019, 02:34 +0000

Hello John!

thank you for the question. After positive internal testing results of iOS version, we decided to implement more functions into the software and reschedule the iOS release to the middle of Q2.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ribeye
I read somewhere that they will have an apple friendly version out soon if it is not out already...
Very cool. I did not want to buy an android device solely for this purpose.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
It's the only thing that I hate about this car. In my experience it will typically shut down the car before it is fully stopped. Terribly clunky and even a little unsafe. I've driven VWAG implementations of auto-stop-start that are 5+ years older that worked just fine, so I don't understand how Audi messed this one up so badly.
I think you should give it a chance. The clunky behavior is when you break too hard before you let it come to a stop. I've tried to get the hang of it and as long as you bring the car to a standstill by feathering the brake, it won't shut off. Then once it's fully stopped, you press the brake harder and the engine goes off. It's possible to stop it smoothly and control exactly when you want the engine to go off.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
I think you should give it a chance. The clunky behavior is when you break too hard before you let it come to a stop. I've tried to get the hang of it and as long as you bring the car to a standstill by feathering the brake, it won't shut off. Then once it's fully stopped, you press the brake harder and the engine goes off. It's possible to stop it smoothly and control exactly when you want the engine to go off.
What you're describing is how start-stop should work. It doesn't work that way in the S5. It is impossible to drive smoothly in California traffic, and trying to treat the brake pedal like an eggshell only makes it more frustrating.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Try shutting off the auto start stop and see how smoothly you can brake. I tried a few times, its a bit better but stop not smooth due to the performance brake pads.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

What you're describing is how start-stop should work. It doesn't work that way in the S5. It is impossible to drive smoothly in California traffic, and trying to treat the brake pedal like an eggshell only makes it more frustrating.
I did it again this morning, I was used to stopping smoothly in the A4 a certain way but the S5 simply requires less brake pressure to slow down the car without shutting off the auto start/stop. It really does work, in traffic. If you need to slam the brakes all the time and leave only a couple of feet in front of you at all times then yes, it might be a problem, but in regular driving I think it's fine.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I tried to make it work, but *** makes the car awkward and unpleasant to drive in traffic. I gave up after the car would repeatedly stop and start while crawling along in stop and go traffic. My mileage is nearly as good as it was on my previous A4 without ***, so I do not feel the need to compromise the car's driveability.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I tried to make it work, but *** makes the car awkward and unpleasant to drive in traffic. I gave up after the car would repeatedly stop and start while crawling along in stop and go traffic. My mileage is nearly as good as it was on my previous A4 without ***, so I do not feel the need to compromise the car's driveability.
I just changed jobs and get I sit in a lot more traffic, so I’m using traffic assist ACC a lot more. If you have Prestige / ACC and it’s enabled, *** doesn’t engage at lights or traffic. I figured this out yesterday sitting on NWHWY for a long time.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by arrtewwx
I just changed jobs and get I sit in a lot more traffic, so I’m using traffic assist ACC a lot more. If you have Prestige / ACC and it’s enabled, *** doesn’t engage at lights or traffic. I figured this out yesterday sitting on NWHWY for a long time.
I don't like the way the car drives with Traffic Jam Assist or with ACC in traffic, so I reserve ACC for extended highway drives, not for normal commuting. ACC doesn't have enough awareness in traffic and does far too much unnecessary acceleration followed by rapid braking, whereas I coast and use far less aggressive throttle and braking inputs. I'm glad I received a pretty decent deal on a Prestige because I really have only derived value from the HUD, overhead camera, and adjust ambient lighting.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I don't like the way the car drives with Traffic Jam Assist or with ACC in traffic, so I reserve ACC for extended highway drives, not for normal commuting. ACC doesn't have enough awareness in traffic and does far too much unnecessary acceleration followed by rapid braking, whereas I coast and use far less aggressive throttle and braking inputs.
What driving mode are you usually in? There is a vast difference between Dynamic and Comfort. For me, Dynamic is way too aggressive and Comfort is way too relaxed. ACC in Auto mode works quite well for my daily, heavy traffic commutes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Issue with Start/Stop de-activation