Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

I've made a TERRIBLE MISTAKE!

Old 06-23-2019, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
It does, which is why I rarely use it, especially on anything less than a mostly open highway, a condition that almost never exists in my area. Babysitting this system in heavy traffic requires more attention than driving myself.
I have the exact same issue as I drive in heavy stop and go traffic on my commute where I wouldn't trust this system to deal with cars that brake late and others that switch lanes in heavy traffic barely avoiding hitting cars as it is.

For me, DAP is not useful at all for 90% of my driving.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was stuck on the 605 (in Cali) for about an hour during rush-hour traffic.
I too was second guessing the ACC but decided to give it a try in stop and go traffic, and i must say it is AWESOME!
i set it to about 50 MPH, once i got a little more comforatble with it i moved my feet away from the pedals.

it would accelerate when necessary, come to a complete stop if needed and slow down instantly if someone cut me off.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I had ACC in the Golf R I traded for my new SQ5. I don't miss the ACC. I found it annoying to set it for the car in front of me then realize they had slowed down 5 mph requiring me to adjust and pass. What is gained by that? I am used to adjusting cruise control manually for the last 40 + years anyway. It comes naturally : )

Maybe in heavy traffic the ACC would be nice but traffic is only moderate around the Space Coast of Florida.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:37 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

buy all the things! Just do it!
The following users liked this post:
Nikon1 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:45 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
buy all the things! Just do it!

A View I Wholeheartedly Ascribe Too When Buying A Car!

— John
Old 06-24-2019, 06:41 PM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by luder888
Those features are overrated. If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't opt for the Driver Assistance Package. The Pre-Sense non-senses that come with it is not worth it. Active Lane Assist is mediocre at best. You don't get the bang for your buck. They seemed like a good idea at first but once you've had the car a while you would think otherwise. Be glad you saved some money.
Counterpoint: I love the DAP and use its features daily, especially ACC and Traffic Jam Assist. Love them. Also love the HUD. So worth it, and now that I'm hooked I'll need all these features on every future car!
The following 3 users liked this post by Sebastian3:
audijk (07-03-2019), MRA5SB (06-24-2019), Nikon1 (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebastian3
Counterpoint: I love the DAP and use its features daily, especially ACC and Traffic Jam Assist. Love them. Also love the HUD. So worth it, and now that I'm hooked I'll need all these features on every future car!
So what do you DO when the car is sort of driving itself but you have to keep the hands on the wheel and watch it do what used to keep you busy? You ponder the things in life?
Old 06-25-2019, 10:46 AM
Audi Driver & Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by belzebutt
So what do you DO when the car is sort of driving itself but you have to keep the hands on the wheel and watch it do what used to keep you busy? You ponder the things in life?
I'm still driving and paying attention to everything of course — it's just easier and lower stress with ACC / Traffic Jam Assist engaged. I listen to music or news, and just vibe out in the comfort of these nougat brown ventilated sport seats!
Nikon1 (06-25-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
If you're doing the braking for the car, what's the point? Also, doesn't braking turn off traffic jam assist/ACC?
I did not mean to say that braking is necessary, I only intervene when coming up on a stopped vehicle at a high speed, because the system brakes later than I like. Not to say it isn't safe, just later than I like, The other 95% of the time the ACC works well within my comfort zone either in flowing or stop and go traffic. After touching the brake, simply pulling on the ACC stalk reengages the system to the preset speed and following distance.
Nikon1 (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I'm almost the opposite, as I have the Prestige, but the only options that I find much value in are the HUD and overhead camera. I almost never use the DAP options and would rather have a couple thousand dollars back.
Amen. The driving assist stuff is annoying as hell and wish I could refund them. The stop/start in traffic is useless because it cuts out after a 3 second full stop, and doesn't keep you close enough to the car in front of you to dissuade the lane jockeys that will cut in front of you. The Pre-Sense is the absolute worst though-- not a week goes by where it doesn't pump my brakes for no good reason, scaring the living crap out of me.
Slides (07-04-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I've made a TERRIBLE MISTAKE!