Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Picking up an '18 S5 Cabrio Tuesday...whooop!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Picking up an '18 S5 Cabrio Tuesday...whooop!

Daytona/Rotor w/Prestige, S Sport, Driver Assistance, cavos, and carbon inlays. <link>

I was really waffling back and forth between a Boxster S and the S5 cab, but after getting an extended test drive in the S5, the choice was pretty clear. Plus, the spousal unit REALLY likes the S5, and didn't want me to get a 2-seater (although the S5 is barely a 4-seater). No, the S5 is not a true "sports car", but all the refinements and increased practicality should make up for the raw "sportsy" experience I'll be missing in the Boxster.

Obviously the look of the Boxster is more appealing (at least to most folks), but I'll be spending more time IN the car than outside, gazing at it.

Next up will be euro rear headrests ($700-800??? really??), and then *probably* spacers to push the cavos out a bit. Anyone have a line on cheaper euro rear headrests? I love our friends at Europrice, but that $$$ hurts.

I'm just now starting to pay attention to the B9 platform, so I may need some help sorting out the best options/what fits/works from everyone here....especially when I begin the hunt for wheels/lowering options. Its going to really kill me until I lower the car off its shipping blocks (kidding, but damn only barely kidding).
Old 12-23-2017, 10:14 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

CONGRATS!
Old 12-24-2017, 07:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! we have the same exact car for colors/options.

I had a 987S Boxster, and you made a good choice. Boxsters are great cars but I eventually found mine to be tiresome (low seating position, engine right behind head, poor wind management top-down.). The S5 is my 9th convertible in the last 18 years and all things considered, I’m thinking it might just be the best one yet.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SD18S5CAB
Congrats! we have the same exact car for colors/options.

I had a 987S Boxster, and you made a good choice. Boxsters are great cars but I eventually found mine to be tiresome (low seating position, engine right behind head, poor wind management top-down.). The S5 is my 9th convertible in the last 18 years and all things considered, I’m thinking it might just be the best one yet.
Great to hear. I was REALLY struggling with the right choice between the two. My heart wanted a P-car, but the S5 was just too damn nice. I figure what I might do is (in a few years) pickup a used 981 or 718 Boxster to have just as a weekend car. I just think that (as you hinted) it was just a bit too focused on being a good track car, versus being a versatile enough to keep me in it frequently. Time will tell if I made the right decision!
Old 12-25-2017, 08:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by emacS5
I figure what I might do is (in a few years) pickup a used 981 or 718 Boxster to have just as a weekend car.
That’s a good plan; Boxster depreciation is cliff-like and Porsche’s 718 pricing makes me laugh. I think they’ll eventually need to adjust the kool-aid recipe. To get a Boxster or Boxster S to the level of trim in our loaded S5s would run you about $85K and $95K, respectively.Good luck on your big day tomorrow.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks sir. Yeah, when I compared options between the 2 platforms, there really was no reasonable other decision. When I spec'd out the 718 S the way I wanted it, I was already at like $96K. At that point, just pick the GTS as the base platform. What was enticing me was a few '17s that were discounted $10K or more.....which is probably about where the price SHOULD be.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Current Audi financial APR%

Originally Posted by emacS5
Thanks sir. Yeah, when I compared options between the 2 platforms, there really was no reasonable other decision. When I spec'd out the 718 S the way I wanted it, I was already at like $96K. At that point, just pick the GTS as the base platform. What was enticing me was a few '17s that were discounted $10K or more.....which is probably about where the price SHOULD be.
Hey all, my dealer is stating that the current AFS rate for a 60 month loan is 3.99%.....is that accurate? Purchasing likely later today.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, that's what they the had on offer, even with 800+ credit, when I purchased mine a few weeks ago. It's because 60 months is considered a longish term. As they say, it's often best to arrange financing ahead of time from other sources, even if it makes for a more onerous process.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

GOT IT! End up getting 3.49%, plus Audi gave me money to finance through them, so it worked out.

Here's some pics from today...raw/untouched, and in terrible lighting as the sun went down. <PICS>

Old 12-28-2017, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Choice! I waffled on the Blue vs gray and went with the blue. I picked mine up right before memorial day. A friend who has had a series of Porsches, the last one being a turbo cab roughly 2012, thought this car drove better than that one.
if you can find those euro style rear seat head rests for less, please post. If you can find someone that will do a group purchase for lower $, maybe we can put a group together here.

enjoy the ride, "if you have the means, I highly recommend it"

Quick Reply: Picking up an '18 S5 Cabrio Tuesday...whooop!