AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Just Bought a '18 Sportback and, Well... (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/just-bought-18-sportback-well-2941293/)

Mid-Life Crisis 01-20-2018 02:43 AM

Just Bought a '18 Sportback and, Well...

I recently purchased a '18 S5 Sportback Prestige, fully loaded. What I like are the new technology features inside, it's quite comfortable, I appreciate the safety features, it's spacious, looks, and the handling is quite nice. What I don't like is the performance, or the lack of it. I come from a long line of not only performance cars, but ultra high performance. I admit I'm starting to feel some buyer's remorse. I really want much better acceleration. The low end acceleration is boggy. I would like to do something to enhance the vehicle's performance but don't want to play that cat and mouse game by hiding a tune from Audi. Did that with a Stage 2 S4 I owned, and while I really, really liked the increased performance the tune gave me, it was a hassle taking the car to the tuner to flash to stock, go in for service at Audi, then back to the tuner to flash back to my tune. Plus I had to pay the tuner. Another alternative is to trade the S5 back in and get a TT RS. However I would probably take a financial hit in the thousands, and the TT RS would end up costing me more than the S5. And not only would I give up space in the vehicle, but the TT RS may not have all the option packages the S5 has. Any suggestions or am I just going to have to live with my purchase for another three years, before it is worth it to sell and move on to something else?

buickfunnycar 01-20-2018 06:08 AM

I take it you've driven it in Sport mode and still aren't satisfied...?

Mid-Life Crisis 01-20-2018 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar (Post 25098869)
I take it you've driven it in Sport mode and still aren't satisfied...?

Sport/Dynamic mode and still not impressed. Acceleration on the low end is most noticeable. I'm sure a good tune, and possibly a piggyback, would address that, but then you have to play that cat and mouse game with Audi.

My Dixie Wrecked 01-20-2018 07:12 AM

I feel your pain, I test drove an S5 last weekend and was not impressed with how it felt. I actually had more fun test driving the new Q5.

SCarGuy 01-20-2018 07:22 AM

What cat and mouse game? I've owned multiple Audi's, before I worked for them. All of them tuned going back to my original S4. I've never been hassled for any warranty work

fwd55 01-20-2018 07:26 AM

Maybe consider the RS5 when it becomes available, I'm getting antsy waiting for mine!

prashanth1337 01-20-2018 07:56 AM

did you not test drive the vehicle?

stan23 01-20-2018 08:03 AM

I think you really need to adjust your expectations. The s5 is not a sports car but rather a GT tourer. Look at the positives, such as the hatch and all it can carry, and I'm sure you'll learn to like the s5 as a great daily driver.

Iceberg_S5 01-20-2018 10:21 AM

I feel you on the throttle lag. Does anyone know if the DTUK Pedal Box helps with reducing some of the laggy response?

visualguy 01-20-2018 11:43 AM

This car has a very powerful engine and an excellent transmission, so what did Audi mess up on this? Is it all in the programming? Why would they program it this way? Maybe fuel economy would have been even worse with more aggressive programming.