Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Just Bought a '18 Sportback and, Well...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just Bought a '18 Sportback and, Well...

I recently purchased a '18 S5 Sportback Prestige, fully loaded. What I like are the new technology features inside, it's quite comfortable, I appreciate the safety features, it's spacious, looks, and the handling is quite nice. What I don't like is the performance, or the lack of it. I come from a long line of not only performance cars, but ultra high performance. I admit I'm starting to feel some buyer's remorse. I really want much better acceleration. The low end acceleration is boggy. I would like to do something to enhance the vehicle's performance but don't want to play that cat and mouse game by hiding a tune from Audi. Did that with a Stage 2 S4 I owned, and while I really, really liked the increased performance the tune gave me, it was a hassle taking the car to the tuner to flash to stock, go in for service at Audi, then back to the tuner to flash back to my tune. Plus I had to pay the tuner. Another alternative is to trade the S5 back in and get a TT RS. However I would probably take a financial hit in the thousands, and the TT RS would end up costing me more than the S5. And not only would I give up space in the vehicle, but the TT RS may not have all the option packages the S5 has. Any suggestions or am I just going to have to live with my purchase for another three years, before it is worth it to sell and move on to something else?
Old 01-20-2018, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I take it you've driven it in Sport mode and still aren't satisfied...?
Old 01-20-2018, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar
I take it you've driven it in Sport mode and still aren't satisfied...?
Sport/Dynamic mode and still not impressed. Acceleration on the low end is most noticeable. I'm sure a good tune, and possibly a piggyback, would address that, but then you have to play that cat and mouse game with Audi.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain, I test drove an S5 last weekend and was not impressed with how it felt. I actually had more fun test driving the new Q5.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

What cat and mouse game? I've owned multiple Audi's, before I worked for them. All of them tuned going back to my original S4. I've never been hassled for any warranty work
Old 01-20-2018, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe consider the RS5 when it becomes available, I'm getting antsy waiting for mine!
Old 01-20-2018, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you not test drive the vehicle?
Old 01-20-2018, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think you really need to adjust your expectations. The s5 is not a sports car but rather a GT tourer. Look at the positives, such as the hatch and all it can carry, and I'm sure you'll learn to like the s5 as a great daily driver.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I feel you on the throttle lag. Does anyone know if the DTUK Pedal Box helps with reducing some of the laggy response?
Old 01-20-2018, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

This car has a very powerful engine and an excellent transmission, so what did Audi mess up on this? Is it all in the programming? Why would they program it this way? Maybe fuel economy would have been even worse with more aggressive programming.

Quick Reply: Just Bought a '18 Sportback and, Well...