Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Just Bought a '18 Sportback and, Well...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xbulldogx
Just as food for thought I currently have a 2013 Q5 2.0t with a APR Stage 2 tune that was done at my dealer. They are an APR dealer and back their products no questions asked.
Wut??

I have never heard of an actual authorized Audi dealer that installs and services APR tunes. Where can I find a list of these Audi dealers?
Old 01-28-2018, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good ol Mid Life Crisis from my GTR days is still looking for the perfect car lol. I just traded my manual M2 on a S5 sportbutt as well. I miss my Alpha 12 but I don't miss the big power "maintenance". I loved my M2 but I wanted to get something for friendly for my wife and son to drive as I have a 17 R8 as my "me car". This S5 is ok and it's a good date night car for us but I've already told my dealer to shout when I can build an RS5 lol. Mid Life, do you still have any other sporty cars or is this trying to do it all for you? I can see where it falls short if it is an only car after what we are used to driving in the past.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by fivefan
Wut??

I have never heard of an actual authorized Audi dealer that installs and services APR tunes. Where can I find a list of these Audi dealers?
Audi of Birmingham (Alabama) at least does it, they are right next to APR. There are other dealers hiding around too, you can poke around in APR's dealer locator.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mid-Life Crisis
Yes, in your opinion. Since this was my third Audi, I sure did think I knew what I was getting into, but since others have noted the problem with the throttle response, I'm not alone there. The car shines in every other aspect.

As far as no tune being undetectable by Audi, I, like a lot of others, aren't sure about that, but are jittery about taking the chance. When I had a GIAC Stage 2 tune on my '15 S4, if I had service due by an Audi service department, I would first go to a tuner to flash back to stock. Not only would there not be indication of a tune, but just as important, if not more so, no indication that the flash counter had been changed. And a good thing, because one update due on the vehicle necessitated a scan. I talked to the Audi Tech after that and he confirmed no tune was detected, nor any indication that the flash counter had been altered. When my service was completed, I would go back to the tuner and flash back to my Stage 2 tune. Yes, it was a hassle and some expense, but worth it to me for great improvement in engine performance. I'll wait it out until tunes because available for the B9 S5, and reliability and quality control have been confirmed.
The throttle response in S is quick and not an issue, if you are looking for more get a pedalbox. If turbo lag is your issue then a downpipe is in your future.

The flash back to stock thing no longer hides the tune. In the new generation of ECU's a GFF from the service department will find the tune 100% of the time. Like I said, the only defense from flash tuning nowadays is a dealer who accepts the tune and goes to bat for you with audi should something in your drivetrain blow up.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just weighing in here with a few random thoughts...

OP, sorry to hear that you're disappointed with your S5. From the sounds of it, you've had some very fast iron in your stable. I can appreciate that; I just sold my '14 RS5 to an American gentleman from Stuttgart and I picked up our new S5 SB a couple weekends ago. My first drive of an S5 was several weeks prior to that when I drove the local Audi sales manager's S5 demo. Frankly, I was stunned how well this car performed compared to my RS5. Twelve-second quarters and low 4-second 0-60 times are not the harbingers of ultra-high performance that they were back in the 1990s or even the early 2000s, but it's still pretty darn respectable. This car does not feel as quick as my C63s, but objectively, it's pretty close. It just doesn't SOUND as fast lol. It's deceptively quick, to be sure.

I, too, have had some pretty fast iron in the garage along the way: a couple AMG C63s, a 911 S4, the aforementioned RS5, an X6 M, a couple M3s, and a whole host of fun Audis (see full list below), among others. I personally think the S5 SB earns a seat at the table in my garage, although, to be honest, it sounds like the forthcoming RS5 is probably a better fit for you. Nothing worse than being tied to a car you don't like. I wish you the best and hope you find what you're looking for.

Last edited by Driver8; 01-29-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver8
Just weighing in here with a few random thoughts...

OP, sorry to hear that you're disappointed with your S5. From the sounds of it, you've had some very fast iron in your stable. I can appreciate that; I just sold my '14 RS5 to an American gentleman from Stuttgart and I picked up our new S5 SB a couple weekends ago. My first drive of an S5 was several weeks prior to that when I drove the local Audi sales manager's S5 demo. Frankly, I was stunned how well this car performed compared to my RS5. Twelve-second quarters and low 4-second 0-60 times are not the harbingers of ultra-high performance that they were back in the 1990s or even the early 2000s, but it's still pretty darn respectable. This car does not feel as quick as my C63s, but objectively, it's pretty close. It just doesn't SOUND as fast lol. It's deceptively quick, to be sure.

I, too, have had some pretty fast iron in the garage along the way: a couple AMG C63s, a 911 S4, the aforementioned RS5, an X6 M, a couple M3s, and a whole host of fun Audis (see full list below), among others. I personally think the S5 SB earns a seat at the table in my garage, although, to be honest, it sounds like the forthcoming RS5 is probably a better fit for you. Nothing worse than being tied to a car you don't like. I wish you the best and hope you find what you're looking for.
The '18 S5 Sportback is a very, very fine car in so many ways. There is just nothing really exciting about its performance to me. It seems so...pedestrian. I'm sorry so many people get bent out of shape and want to disagree with me on that, but it's not a right or wrong issue. It's personal preference, what vehicles you're driven in the past, what you're accustomed to, and your own likes and dislikes. Anyway, I like your stable of former vehicles, and though it wasn't an S, I did have a '17 C63 AMG. Nice, great performance, but looked like the rest of the sea of black MB's in a parking lot, ha-ha.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The '18 S5 Sportback is a very, very fine car in so many ways. There is just nothing really exciting about its performance to me. It seems so...pedestrian. I'm sorry so many people get bent out of shape and want to disagree with me on that, but it's not a right or wrong issue. It's personal preference, what vehicles you're driven in the past, what you're accustomed to, and your own likes and dislikes. Anyway, I like your stable of former vehicles, and though it wasn't an S, I did have a '17 C63 AMG. Nice, great performance, but looked like the rest of the sea of black MB's in a parking lot, ha-ha.
If I was in an RS5 and it did not meet my expectations performance-wise, and I wasn't getting a feeling of raw grunt and power, I would be disappointed. I understand and appreciate that Audi must create a broad base of appeal within a model series. That being said, I do not expect my S5 sportback to have a feeling of raw, unadulterated power that I should find in their RS lines. Therefore, my expectations are tempered and I accept it for the luxuriously sporty, moderately noisy, refined vehicle that it is.

Others might not see it that way, however. And I'm not saying that you're trying to compare the S5 to their RS line, I'm just using that as an example as to how I view their model series as a whole and what my expectations are.

Last edited by freshpow78; 02-02-2018 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Honestly, I found the RS5 disappointing, especially in comparison with the AMGs. Subjectively, I felt it had no bottom end, the steering was numb and the transmission seemed to be dancing to a different tune than the engine from time to time. I expected so much more, especially after thoroughly enjoying our prior 2011 S5.

The RS5’s forte was that incredible rush from 5k to 8k RPM when it did its amazing impression of an IndyCar, which, by no coincidence, raised the hairs on the back of my neck every single time I drove it. That was best feature, bar none. That, and the fact that car was simply stunning to view from any angle. It made an awesome garage queen!

Everyone has his or her own preference, of course, but my RS5 doesn’t even rank in the top five of the cars I’ve owned. I guess the RS5 would be better suited for the track, perhaps. I find our new B9 S5 SB to be a better balanced effort. Even if the peaks, overall, aren’t quite as high as those of the RS5, the overall effect is a more balanced and enjoyable driving experience on a daily basis. My $0.02.

Originally Posted by freshpow78
If I was in an RS5 and it did not meet my expectations performance-wise, and I wasn't getting a feeling of raw grunt and power, I would be disappointed. I understand and appreciate that Audi must create a broad base of appeal within a model series. That being said, I do not expect my S5 sportback to have a feeling of raw, unadulterated power that I should find in their RS lines. Therefore, my expectations are tempered and I accept it for the luxuriously sporty, moderately noisy, refined vehicle that it is.

Others might not see it that way, however. And I'm not saying that you're trying to compare the S5 to their RS line, I'm just using that as an example as to how I view their model series as a whole and what my expectations are.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default just a thought M-LC, but...

Both the C43 sedan and coupe are more exciting than the S4/S5, and no doubt as quick as your C63 cab. Twin turbos and shorter gearing with the 9 speed produces a car which is slightly quicker objectively with much better subjective attributes, both in terms of lag and sound. The only reasons I didn't buy a C43 sedan is that I really need the cargo space of the S5 Sportback, I appreciate the more refined (ultimately quicker?) chassis of the Audi, and I like the more Teutonic black-toned interior of the Audi. Oh, and I have your problem too: gets lost in a sea of other M-Bs. But then again the Sportback tends to merge with the ocean of Ford Fusions!