Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Is it just me or is the AC on the S5 not that great?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Is it just me or is the AC on the S5 not that great?

I've had previous economy cars and the AC has been super cold once it's left to run for a few minutes. Even on super hot day's like the last few days.

But that doesn't seem to be case with my S5 even on Lo. It's gets cool but rarely cold when the sun is out.

Is it just my car?
Old 07-07-2018, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've head several audis, and have never been that impressed with the AC on any of them. Its likely a euro "green" thing.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I thought it's just my car. I live in Phoenix and the loaner 2018 A4 the dealer gave me had colder air than my S5.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

It's hard for me to say since my whole car including the windshield is tinted but I just leave mine on 74 with fan speed down to 1.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm - living in Australia, I hope you're wrong. It's winter here now, so it will be a while before I find out.

I've heard in the past that the European cars had weaker air-conditioning that the home grown products we used to build when we had a car industry. But I never had any grizzles with the BMW 428i I drove for the past four years.

It was my first car with climate control and, of course, the air seemed less cold as it approached the set temp. But, when I turned it to Max A/C, it seemed to have more than adequate capacity for producing cold air. I hope the S5 will be the same.

In fact, I grew to love just setting my ideal temp and letting the HVAC system look after delivering that as well as managing demisting etc. I'd really prefer not to go back to the old-fashioned basic system now.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tinting helps a lot. New York has been in the mid 90's (about 36C) with high humidity this past week and the AC still easily freezes me quickly. My wife also felt her AC was underpowered in her Subaru Forester which has giant windows like a greenhouse. No complaints now that we got ceramic tints for it.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:33 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I agree with you about the tinting making a tremendous difference. We’ve just passed thru a 7 day, 90+ & sunny stretch in South Jersey and I could feel a real difference after tinting the windows.

My my wife is now thinking of getting her RDX windows tinted based on the “before & after” difference she experienced with my S5.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default no tint for me...

Originally Posted by Nikon1
I agree with you about the tinting making a tremendous difference. We’ve just passed thru a 7 day, 90+ & sunny stretch in South Jersey and I could feel a real difference after tinting the windows.

My my wife is now thinking of getting her RDX windows tinted based on the “before & after” difference she experienced with my S5.
The air begins to bog down on sunny days over 32 degrees centigrade. I had an A4 loaner in which the air just plain didn't work above 30 in the sun.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:10 AM
HA / KC / EЯ

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I agree.. Also, does your re-circulation air come on automatically? Mine doesnt, even though I have that setting enabled in the mmi. I have to push the button for it to come on (and then it cools down better)

Old 07-08-2018, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Well, at least it's just not my car. I used to have a old Hyundai Elantra three years ago that used to give me frostbite on my hands when the vents pointed at the steering wheel.

In comparison, S5 seems like it has a dying AC compressor in it.

Quick Reply: Is it just me or is the AC on the S5 not that great?