Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Kia Stinger - Did I leave $25,000 on the table?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Kia Stinger - Did I leave $25,000 on the table?

Track Test: 2018 Kia Stinger | Driving

Holy cow, the AWD fully loaded GT Limited is $50,000 in Canada. Not only does it have everything you can buy on an S5 Sportback, but cooled Nappa leather seats, full-sized rear seats and a heated flat bottomed steering wheel!
Old 01-24-2018, 07:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
Track Test: 2018 Kia Stinger Driving

Holy cow, the AWD fully loaded GT Limited is $50,000 in Canada. Not only does it have everything you can buy on an S5 Sportback, but cooled Nappa leather seats, full-sized rear seats and a heated flat bottomed steering wheel!
I cross shopped the Stinger and was even given one for an extended overnight test drive. It's a very well rounded car and fairly loaded at the $52K AWD price point. It's on par with the S5 in terms of power and overall equipment minus the 360 camera. It's just a step below Audi in many of the key categories for me. It's Napa but not Audi Napa, the suspension and overall driving dynamics are good but not Audi level, overall luxury feel is solid but not outstanding. If someone doesn't have $65K for a well equipped S5, then the Stinger is a fantastic alternative with a lot to offer - in my opinion. The biggest disappointment to me was the body roll on hard acceleration and breaking - the car really heaves and made it feel like some of the 70's muscle cars my friends drove in high school back in the '80s. Tons of power but looser than I would like. The Stinger AWD system doesn't hold a candle to Quatro - driving the two on back to back days for extended periods was striking and really surprised me as I think I've taken Quatro for granted.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks butt ugly (to me at least), fake exhaust noise pumped in, bigger than S5 (although lighter), Interior not comparable, no Quattro.
Having said that, the Stinger is absolute bang for buck.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 422 Posts

Yeah a buddy of mine has one and it's really impressive. Yes, the Audi has a nicer interior and more tech so you need to decide if those features are worth the extra cash to you.

It has AWD. True, it's not "quattro" branded AWD (there are 3 different types of quattro in use currently) but it also has it's engine set much father back than Audis with a longitudinal engine arrangement so it has a lot less understeer.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I haven't driven one...

Originally Posted by MartinCF
I cross shopped the Stinger and was even given one for an extended overnight test drive. It's a very well rounded car and fairly loaded at the $52K AWD price point. It's on par with the S5 in terms of power and overall equipment minus the 360 camera. It's just a step below Audi in many of the key categories for me. It's Napa but not Audi Napa, the suspension and overall driving dynamics are good but not Audi level, overall luxury feel is solid but not outstanding. If someone doesn't have $65K for a well equipped S5, then the Stinger is a fantastic alternative with a lot to offer - in my opinion. The biggest disappointment to me was the body roll on hard acceleration and breaking - the car really heaves and made it feel like some of the 70's muscle cars my friends drove in high school back in the '80s. Tons of power but looser than I would like. The Stinger AWD system doesn't hold a candle to Quatro - driving the two on back to back days for extended periods was striking and really surprised me as I think I've taken Quatro for granted.
But your observations coincide with many of the test drives I've read. What really caught my attention was the incredible pricing in Canada: $50,000 Canadian for the full boat GT Limited is incredible. My well-equipped S5 Sportback was over $70,000 in Canada with discounts. By the way, the Limited has a 360 degree camera.

Last edited by NoMoreBMWs; 01-24-2018 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added
Old 01-24-2018, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
It has AWD. True, it's not "quattro" branded AWD (there are 3 different types of quattro in use currently) but it also has it's engine set much father back than Audis with a longitudinal engine arrangement so it has a lot less understeer.
You forgot to mention the S5 has a torque vectoring differential to combat understeer. The Stinger has a limited slip diff
Old 01-24-2018, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Crown gear torsen >>>>> All other AWD

I've seen the **** that happens to hyundais and Kia's, there's a good reason they are cheaper.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by prashanth1337
You forgot to mention the S5 has a torque vectoring differential to combat understeer. The Stinger has a limited slip diff
True, but the Stinger doesn't need it like the S5 does since its engine is a lot farther back.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Biermann knows what he's doing...

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
True, but the Stinger doesn't need it like the S5 does since its engine is a lot farther back.
'nuff said.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

For the midsized hatch style sedans
A5 SB > 430i GC > Stinger and Regal

Quick Reply: Kia Stinger - Did I leave $25,000 on the table?