Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Kia Stinger - Did I leave $25,000 on the table?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by ArvX147
Crown gear torsen >>>>> All other AWD

I've seen the **** that happens to hyundais and Kia's, there's a good reason they are cheaper.
Bugatti, Lamborghini, and the R8 (as well as the TT, A3, and Q3) all use Haldex AWD systems.

it'll be interesting to see how the Stinger holds up long term. Kia and Hyundai have both made amazing leaps in quality and fit and finish. I think that you'll still see low resale prices for the Stinger for the first little while anyway until it can prove itself.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreBMWs
Track Test: 2018 Kia Stinger Driving

Holy cow, the AWD fully loaded GT Limited is $50,000 in Canada. Not only does it have everything you can buy on an S5 Sportback, but cooled Nappa leather seats, full-sized rear seats and a heated flat bottomed steering wheel!
Sounds like you should have gotten the Stinger!
Old 01-24-2018, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Bugatti, Lamborghini, and the R8 (as well as the TT, A3, and Q3) all use Haldex AWD systems.
Bugatti and Lambo only use Haldex to distribute torque between all 4 wheels. Other than that, they are proper AWD vehicles, not FWD biased. Not the case with TT, A3, Q3, Golf, etc
Old 01-24-2018, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but it also has it's engine set much father back than Audis with a longitudinal engine arrangement so it has a lot less understeer.
Isn't the S5 also based on the MLB platform? While I agree the weight distribution on the Stinger is nearly ideal (52-48), I am not aware of the numbers for the S5. Anybody have the info?
Old 01-24-2018, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It’s a beauty, and a performance bargain. But I still don’t think you’ll find many Audi S4/5 shoppers cross shopping a Stinger.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is for the base models, Stinger AWD, not the mentioned GT, and A5, not S5, but some may find it relevant and interesting.

It depends on what you value, but I don't think that you left $ 25K on the table.

Feb issue of Car and Drive that just arrived has comparo between Stinger AWD, BMW 430 xDrive Gran Couple, and A5 SB. Their as-tested difference in price between Stinger AWD and A5 SB ($ 51K) was about $ 9K.

A5 SB finished first by an "overwhelming" margin, Stinger and 430 tied for second.

Unfortunately C&D doesn't have this on their website, but their summaries are:

A5 SB:
+ Sweet handling, sweet engine, sweet transmission, great brakes, supermodel looks
- Tight interior, the tires are an unfair advantage (All seasons were requested for the comparo, which the other 2 had, A5 came with summers, retested A5 later with AS, A5 lost a few points but still won by "overwhelming" margin)
= Smart engineering will always be state of the art.

Stinger AWD:
+ Muscle-car presence, roomy, bargain priced
- Not that quick, lousy outward visibility, big enough to overwhelm its own chassis
= One small step for Kia, one giant leap for Kiakind

430i xDrive Gran Couple
+ Great engine, easygoing interior, occasional hints of BMW brilliance
- Unfathomable steering, not sticky enough in the corners, a long and stupid name
= Fills a market niche instead of striving to reach ambitious goals
Old 01-24-2018, 11:55 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

The Kia Stinger is a fine ride for those who want to stick to a budget.

Functionally all cars get you from Point A to Point B, but I love doing it in my A5 SB.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default sounds like a test of the 4 cylinder Stinger...

Originally Posted by NorthernMI
This is for the base models, Stinger AWD, not the mentioned GT, and A5, not S5, but some may find it relevant and interesting.

It depends on what you value, but I don't think that you left $ 25K on the table.

Feb issue of Car and Drive that just arrived has comparo between Stinger AWD, BMW 430 xDrive Gran Couple, and A5 SB. Their as-tested difference in price between Stinger AWD and A5 SB ($ 51K) was about $ 9K.

A5 SB finished first by an "overwhelming" margin, Stinger and 430 tied for second.

Unfortunately C&D doesn't have this on their website, but their summaries are:

A5 SB:
+ Sweet handling, sweet engine, sweet transmission, great brakes, supermodel looks
- Tight interior, the tires are an unfair advantage (All seasons were requested for the comparo, which the other 2 had, A5 came with summers, retested A5 later with AS, A5 lost a few points but still won by "overwhelming" margin)
= Smart engineering will always be state of the art.

Stinger AWD:
+ Muscle-car presence, roomy, bargain priced
- Not that quick, lousy outward visibility, big enough to overwhelm its own chassis
= One small step for Kia, one giant leap for Kiakind

430i xDrive Gran Couple
+ Great engine, easygoing interior, occasional hints of BMW brilliance
- Unfathomable steering, not sticky enough in the corners, a long and stupid name
= Fills a market niche instead of striving to reach ambitious goals
If so it isn't very relevant.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

it'll be interesting to see how the Stinger holds up long term. Kia and Hyundai have both made amazing leaps in quality and fit and finish. I think that you'll still see low resale prices for the Stinger for the first little while anyway until it can prove itself.
Hyundai and Kia have made amazing leaps in quality since 2013?? (they are the same company, use almost all the same parts) that's the last Hyundai I have personal experience with (good friend's sales driver), It was a POS in build quality and reliability. Electrical problems for years.

I wasnt calling Haldex bad, I'm an mk7 golf R owner... lol. It's just objectively not as good as torsen.

Last edited by ArvX147; 01-24-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Default ha ha!

Originally Posted by stan23
Sounds like you should have gotten the Stinger!
I think the Canadian price is outstanding, but my wife wouldn't accept anything but a BMW or an Audi.

Quick Reply: Kia Stinger - Did I leave $25,000 on the table?