AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Kick-down resistance point no longer there (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/kick-down-resistance-point-no-longer-there-2949657/)

luder888 05-17-2018 10:30 PM

Kick-down resistance point no longer there

I went past 1000 miles and could finally push the engine a bit harder. I floored it on the highway and noticed a resistance point, pushed thru it and the engine downshifted, then shifted up at red line. Everything was as expected. But then after a few tries the resistance point all of a sudden disappeared. The engine still downshifted if I floored it but there was no longer a resistance point.

I restarted the engine, thinking that could reset it, and tried again. It's still not there. What gives? Do you all feel that resistance point in the pedal before the engine downshifts? Why did it disappear for me all of a sudden?

Edit: After parking for 30 mins the click is there once again. It's almost as if the car learned my driving habit and knew I didn't need the switch and locked it in the down position or something.

superswiss 05-18-2018 01:59 AM

Were you in S, D or manual mode? In my experience, there is no kickdown switch anymore. The kickdown switch used to be only for the manual mode anyway. It triggered an immediate downshift to the lowest possible gear. In D and S it kicked down even without pushing past the resistance. Audi has done away with the switch at least in the R(S) models. Instead you now have to press and hold the downshift paddle for a moment and then it downshifts to the lowest possible gear in one shot. However, I happen to be driving an A5 SB loaner at the moment and just went down to the garage. It still has the resistance at the end of the throttle pedal and you can push through. Haven't driven a B9 S, so perhaps A and S models still have the kickdown switch.

rccoleman 05-18-2018 09:53 AM

The A5/S5 manual says that it's for all cars with an automatic transmission (presumably both S-tronic and Tiptronic):

Kick-down

Applies to: vehicles with automatic transmissions

Kick-down enables maximum acceleration.

When you press the accelerator pedal down beyond
the resistance point, the automatic transmiss
ion downshifts into a lower gear and the eng
ine utilizes its full power, depending on vehicle
speed and engine RPM. It shifts up into the next
higher gear once the maximum specified engine
RPM is reached.
So, it doesn't explicitly mention a switch, but a point of resistance.

luder888 05-18-2018 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by rccoleman (Post 25154505)
The A5/S5 manual says that it's for all cars with an automatic transmission (presumably both S-tronic and Tiptronic):

So, it doesn't explicitly mention a switch, but a point of resistance.

When I press down on the pedal using my hand I can sense it activates a switch at the bottom of the travel. What I am curious is why that "click" was there, then went away, and then after I parked my car for 30 mins it's back again.