AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/)
-   -   Lane keep assist does not work in heavy rain (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/lane-keep-assist-does-not-work-heavy-rain-2972379/)

18A5SB 05-15-2019 05:13 AM

Lane keep assist does not work in heavy rain

Passing it on. Ran into some severe downpours last weekend in FL the lane keep assist stopped working until the rain eased a bit. .

ArvX147 05-15-2019 05:18 AM

It uses a camera in the rear view mirror cluster to see the lines, I'm always kinda surprised how heavy the rain can be before it stops working.

18A5SB 05-15-2019 12:11 PM

How heavy? Between the rain and road spray barely able to visually see the car in front with tail lights on. I was keeping a safe distance visually. I think, but not sure even the distance keep assist stopped working too. I have never seen deluges like that in my life.

Slides 05-15-2019 10:48 PM

It also doesn't work in good weather on local roads at least 60% of the time.

TheWombat 05-16-2019 01:04 AM

One reason I didn't go for the full suite of DAP stuff. Up here, 'lines on the road" are sort of like UFOs. Some people claim to have seen them, but there is precious little evidence of their existence.

ArvX147 05-16-2019 05:14 AM

I've driven probably 20,000 miles using the lane keep assist between the S5 and the Q5 in all sorts of places and found it to work well and most of the time. (even a lot of time in vermont, although more like southern-mid VT)

It's significantly better than the implementation in mercedes, jaguar and toyota, from my personal experience.

JD15 05-16-2019 05:19 AM

Excluding major highways, it often does not work on the roads in my area because groups of plastic reflectors are used to delineate lanes, not painted lines.

Slides 05-16-2019 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by ArvX147 (Post 25317607)
I've driven probably 20,000 miles using the lane keep assist between the S5 and the Q5 in all sorts of places and found it to work well and most of the time. (even a lot of time in vermont, although more like southern-mid VT)

It's significantly better than the implementation in mercedes, jaguar and toyota, from my personal experience.

I've seen it simply stop working even on roads with very clear lines. It has a mind of its own.

ArvX147 05-16-2019 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Slides (Post 25317702)
I've seen it simply stop working even on roads with very clear lines. It has a mind of its own.

It's not an autonomous driving system, its lane keep assist. I'm fairly certain the times it stops working on easily seen lines are because it is about to violate a regulation for how much self driving the car is allowed to do without more sensor's or government certification.

On the VW Golf mk7.5 they have hacked the system to have that one camera in the mirror cluster drive the entire car all the time.

Slides 05-16-2019 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by ArvX147 (Post 25317711)
It's not an autonomous driving system, its lane keep assist. I'm fairly certain the times it stops working on easily seen lines are because it is about to violate a regulation for how much self driving the car is allowed to do without more sensor's or government certification.

On the VW Golf mk7.5 they have hacked the system to have that one camera in the mirror cluster drive the entire car all the time.

It's lane keep assist that stops working sometimes when there are clearly marked lanes. It's not that complex a system. I wish these cars came with a lane departure warning system as well which would be almost always on.