Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Lane keep assist does not work in heavy rain

Old 05-15-2019, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Lane keep assist does not work in heavy rain

Passing it on. Ran into some severe downpours last weekend in FL the lane keep assist stopped working until the rain eased a bit. .
Old 05-15-2019, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It uses a camera in the rear view mirror cluster to see the lines, I'm always kinda surprised how heavy the rain can be before it stops working.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

How heavy? Between the rain and road spray barely able to visually see the car in front with tail lights on. I was keeping a safe distance visually. I think, but not sure even the distance keep assist stopped working too. I have never seen deluges like that in my life.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It also doesn't work in good weather on local roads at least 60% of the time.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

One reason I didn't go for the full suite of DAP stuff. Up here, 'lines on the road" are sort of like UFOs. Some people claim to have seen them, but there is precious little evidence of their existence.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've driven probably 20,000 miles using the lane keep assist between the S5 and the Q5 in all sorts of places and found it to work well and most of the time. (even a lot of time in vermont, although more like southern-mid VT)

It's significantly better than the implementation in mercedes, jaguar and toyota, from my personal experience.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Excluding major highways, it often does not work on the roads in my area because groups of plastic reflectors are used to delineate lanes, not painted lines.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147 View Post
I've driven probably 20,000 miles using the lane keep assist between the S5 and the Q5 in all sorts of places and found it to work well and most of the time. (even a lot of time in vermont, although more like southern-mid VT)

It's significantly better than the implementation in mercedes, jaguar and toyota, from my personal experience.
I've seen it simply stop working even on roads with very clear lines. It has a mind of its own.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Slides View Post
I've seen it simply stop working even on roads with very clear lines. It has a mind of its own.
It's not an autonomous driving system, its lane keep assist. I'm fairly certain the times it stops working on easily seen lines are because it is about to violate a regulation for how much self driving the car is allowed to do without more sensor's or government certification.

On the VW Golf mk7.5 they have hacked the system to have that one camera in the mirror cluster drive the entire car all the time.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ArvX147 View Post
It's not an autonomous driving system, its lane keep assist. I'm fairly certain the times it stops working on easily seen lines are because it is about to violate a regulation for how much self driving the car is allowed to do without more sensor's or government certification.

On the VW Golf mk7.5 they have hacked the system to have that one camera in the mirror cluster drive the entire car all the time.
It's lane keep assist that stops working sometimes when there are clearly marked lanes. It's not that complex a system. I wish these cars came with a lane departure warning system as well which would be almost always on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lane keep assist does not work in heavy rain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: