Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

LED Headlight output weak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 01:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LED Headlight output weak?

Does anyone else think the LED headlights on the 2018 RS5 seem weak? Without the fog lights on the lights just don’t seem like that light up the area in front of the car very well. Not so much in town but I am talking more like very rural roads with no street lamps. It seems like anything past 70 mph is overdriving the headlamps. My 2014 SQ5 headlights worked great. Seemed so much brighter than the new LED ones. Side note, I just had my eyes checked around the same time I got the car so I know I am seeing well. I make trips between Colorado and Texas often and this puts me in very rural areas with wildlife. I tend to drive 60-65 at night in theses areas. Believe or not the fog lamps don’t make much difference in the fog but they sure light up the ditch. Without the fog lamps on I don’t feel comfortable driving faster than 65mph. Any TSB’s or updates in this? Thanks everyone
Old 03-09-2019, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Suv headlights cast a beam at a different angle, a higher angle which usually cast a better beam on the road. I always use my fog lights and I agree, without it, the low beam seems kind of weak in dark areas. I adjusted my low beam up a bit, the factory setting was very low.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Get auxiliary lights

Originally Posted by JBDinTX
Does anyone else think the LED headlights on the 2018 RS5 seem weak? Without the fog lights on the lights just don’t seem like that light up the area in front of the car very well. Not so much in town but I am talking more like very rural roads with no street lamps. It seems like anything past 70 mph is overdriving the headlamps. My 2014 SQ5 headlights worked great. Seemed so much brighter than the new LED ones. Side note, I just had my eyes checked around the same time I got the car so I know I am seeing well. I make trips between Colorado and Texas often and this puts me in very rural areas with wildlife. I tend to drive 60-65 at night in theses areas. Believe or not the fog lamps don’t make much difference in the fog but they sure light up the ditch. Without the fog lamps on I don’t feel comfortable driving faster than 65mph. Any TSB’s or updates in this? Thanks everyone
cibie HID work well. I’ve even got some old 100W H2 square driving lights that burn out to 9500ft. Warm light too, not that crappy 5K or worse blue light.
Use relay(s) for both lamps, auxiliary switch. Old school.

Check your state refs because some are kind of picky...may have to use covers on them.. I had issues with VA years ago with four headlights and two auxiliary H2 Super Oscars. Took off the SOs for inspection, put them back covers afterward. Generally with cars today with single headlamps no problem.
PS...light bars shoul be disallowed—-really aggravating onroad.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 03-09-2019 at 04:12 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Suv headlights cast a beam at a different angle, a higher angle which usually cast a better beam on the road. I always use my fog lights and I agree, without it, the low beam seems kind of weak in dark areas. I adjusted my low beam up a bit, the factory setting was very low.
If they were actually aimed low from a DOT standard point of view then Yay! adjustment but if they were set to the standard and you aimed them higher up, then you're now likely blinding / dazzling on coming traffic.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by heymoe
If they were actually aimed low from a DOT standard point of view then Yay! adjustment but if they were set to the standard and you aimed them higher up, then you're now likely blinding / dazzling on coming traffic.
i have not gotten any high beam from on coming traffic yet and pass all state inspection. The OP is right, the factory setting is so low that the car can sometimes out drive the light.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you’re driving over 70mph on an unlit road then it’s time to use the high beams.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The headlights are definitely aimed too low from factory. My previous 2017 A4 and my 2018 A5 both seemed to be aiming at the ground. I think it took a 3/4 turn on the adjustment **** to bring the cutoff to somewhere even remotely acceptable where I could see a bit further (and not blind people). My first drive up and down mountain at night in my A4 was scary as I couldn't see anything but there was still a lot of oncoming traffic so I couldn't really use my high beams much.

The other thing is that the output on the lights is just not as good as some competitors in the luxury market. Its the only mark against the safety rating from the IIHS: https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...door-hatchback

In my experience, the lights are totally acceptable but I do get a little jealous when a Mercedes is also driving next to me on the freeway and I can see how much brighter their lights are.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by iisabrane
The headlights are definitely aimed too low from factory. My previous 2017 A4 and my 2018 A5 both seemed to be aiming at the ground. I think it took a 3/4 turn on the adjustment **** to bring the cutoff to somewhere even remotely acceptable where I could see a bit further (and not blind people). My first drive up and down mountain at night in my A4 was scary as I couldn't see anything but there was still a lot of oncoming traffic so I couldn't really use my high beams much.

The other thing is that the output on the lights is just not as good as some competitors in the luxury market. Its the only mark against the safety rating from the IIHS: https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...door-hatchback

In my experience, the lights are totally acceptable but I do get a little jealous when a Mercedes is also driving next to me on the freeway and I can see how much brighter their lights are.
Did not know they could be adjusted - I see where you need a hex wrench and go clockwise.

I think the headlights on my A5 coupe are too low as well. I saw that marginal headlight rating when IIHS tested the A5 coupe and SB. It is too bad considering the A4 with its slightly different headlight design got acceptable. Why wasn't the performance the same? Also if we don't get Audi's advanced adjusting headlights, could we at least get lights that turn with the steering wheel like BMW?

Most Audis tested by IIHS have marginal headlights - step it up Audi!

Last edited by caranddriver; 03-09-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

You have to look at the fine print of those tests to see how they come up with that rating. IIRC manufacturers were dinged and points deducted if there is no auto high beam functionality, which on the A5 is only available in the Prestige trim I believe. I think the actual light output on my car is nowhere near "marginal" but yes I do agree that the stock aim on the low beams could be a tad bit higher.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

A5 with auto high beam on the left vs A4 with auto high beam on the right.
Yes, they get a higher score if the headlights include auto high beam. The A4 LED headlights perform better than the A5 LED headlights so the base A4 headlights + auto high beams points got it to acceptable. It appears it was not enough on the A5 even with auto high beam points added in. You can compare the light charts between the two cars (A5 left vs A4 right) and the A4 does much better on left curves and drivers straight. Illumination straight ahead is one of the biggest problems with the A5 headlights.

Last edited by caranddriver; 03-09-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply: LED Headlight output weak?